Facial Twitching Question

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Facial Twitching Question

Postby Dan on October 8th, 2002, 6:28 pm

I need to ask a question to all those facial (throat, tongue, cheek, jaw, tweeh, lips, etc.) twitchers out there.

When you talk or chew or swallow or anything like that, do you find that your twitching increases around those areas more? I know that when i swallow, my throat tends to twitch more often. When i talk, my cheeks tend to twitch a lot and very fast like until i stop talking. And that when i chew or talk my jaw or lips may twitch now & then. Does this sound common?

If this does happen to any of you, in which i hope i'm not the only one, do you feel it happens because how much you're working those muscles when you do talk or chew or swallow? That it intensifies the effected nerve in those muscles because of all that work and stress you put on them. Plus, i seem to fatigue more in those muscles as well, which i wonder if that causes added twitching and is part of BFS?

If anyone can help, that would be great....as i greatly need the help.

Thanks...Dan
Dan

Postby Arron on October 8th, 2002, 10:58 pm

Dan, twitches only happen in voluntary muscles. You can induce twitching by flexing or using your muscles, hence why people say they twitch more when (or after) they exercise or when they exert themselves. I can flex my arm and the second I release it, somewhere on it, it will twitch. It maybe only one bump or it may be a series of bumps that can last anywhere from a split second to several minutes, SO... what I'm getting at is your throat, face and mouth are ALL voluntary muscles, meaning your mind has to command them to act and to make them do what they are supposed to do, so if they twitch when they are being used, that is totally consistent with every other voluntary muscle in your body too. Please don't panic, that is all normal for BFS. Don't be surprised if it goes away and somewhere else starts doing something close to the same.. or totally different. This BFS stuff is unpredictable. Also, if you are stressed or have anxiety, people (including myself) tend to tense-up their face muscles, which in turn causes more twitches. If you can start to relax, you'll probably notice that the twitches will subside quite a bit. Hope that helped.
Arron

Postby j1 on October 10th, 2002, 1:21 pm

arron,
you are the man...this helped me too. Thanks!
j1
j1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS