Why You Don't Have ALS (part 2)

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Why You Don't Have ALS (part 2)

Postby MBW on April 10th, 2013, 5:58 pm

I like this, but is there an article that says "Why You don't have MS?"
I know I don't have ALS but how can we be sure these are not early signs of MS (for the ones who besides fasculuations also experience other symptoms such as slight numbness, pins and needles, burning, etc...).
Would love to know more :)
Thanks!
MBW

Postby garym on April 10th, 2013, 7:53 pm

you don't need an article, you have a couple thousand members of this site that haven't been strickened with MS. I understand your concern, but our sxs don't really match MS.

take care,
gary
garym

Fear and twitching

Postby Karenmg on July 7th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Your post helps as I' have all the fear, twitching, and non belief of the doc telling me my EMG was normal. My EMG report that was posted said I had motor neuron loss. Doc tells me it was normal for my age of 61. He actually said I was one of the strongest patients he tested. Of course as I sit here with my left tricep that has been twitching and thumping for months, I doubt his finding. The "what if" is terrifying. Why can't we believe the positive? My fear is Parkinson's or any other neuro disease. My dad had ms. My daughter was diagnosed a year ago. If I'm not terrified by my daughters diagnosis, I'm thinking about some dire diagnosis for myself as we'll. fear is a terrible cross. It does help reading I'm not the only one thinking about this stuff. It only makes the twitching and fear worse.
Karenmg
Interested
Interested

Postby Adamk on August 3rd, 2013, 1:25 am

Here is a fun little quiz to help tell if its just good old bfs. http://www.gotoquiz.com/bfs_test_benign ... n_syndrome

Enjoy I scored a 76 :)
Adamk

Postby RachelLee on March 14th, 2014, 2:08 am

Thanks for this...if only I had known of BFS 5 years ago.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7
RachelLee

Postby nervous nel on April 1st, 2014, 5:21 pm

Hello everyone, been putting this off for months but here goes! I've been lurking on this board for around 6 months now and think you're all amazing and have given me strength at my low points and for that I thank you all, I've got a pretty long history but would appreciate your time in reading this and all answers are greatfully received. I have suffered with muscle pain since I was 16 (im now 28) started affecting more parts of me, muscle burning and pain which arrived after activities or exercise, my neck would feel weak and I would hurt badly if you pressed my muscles, had a few tests done all come clear so docs said possible fibromyalgia, suffer chostocondritis (sorry if spellings wrong) then when I was pregnant with my daughter started having muscle twitching, started in my face badly then spread to legs and lots of other places this was in 2010 face calmed down but it's never gone away since, saw a neurologist in late 2011 I think as I was convinced I had ms, I'm an extremely anxious person, I wasn't really aware of the dreaded *** then so didn't even enter my mind, the neuro tested relexes and done some clinical stuff in his room like walking etc and he said he put it down to my fibromyalgia and discharged me there and then, since then my twitching as gone everywhere, my stomach started a lot in December and my tongue started a while back, ive had problems with my tongue going puffy and the teeth marks for about 10yrs but never noticed movements when I used to check it in the mirror. I saw a doc in September last year who said he don't think I have fibro but chostocondritis, possible hyper mobolity syndrome and because of having twitching so long he thinks it's bfs and told me to Google this instead and that's how I ended up here! My doc said the neuro I saw is crap and will refer me to another one who's good he said he couldn't of ruled ms out by what he did but I'm now petrified of *** and am utterly obsessed like so many others on here have been. My tongue moves lots up and down in centre the one side at the back pushes upwards I have the little twitches aswell, strangely I'm ignoring the others now as I'm fixated on this my tongue is also thicker one side but it don't look as bad when not swollen some days it's very still and not puffy like yesterday then today more of the same, if I post some vids and pics could I please have your input? I know you've done this for so many that it may irritate you but please look and tell me your honest opinion as I'm driving myself insane, also is it more ominous to have twitches underneath your tongue? Thank you in advance
nervous nel

Postby jerbear_13 on June 16th, 2014, 12:56 am

In refference to true fascilations, what if nothing showed up? Does that mean I go back or I have BFS or?? Just curious. I got a little lost in the post about this.

Thanks!
jerbear_13

Postby Yuliasir on June 16th, 2014, 3:00 am

as far as I remember true fasciculations are harmless, and what doctors are looking for are called fibrillations - twitching of single mucle fibers caused by denervation. fibrillations are not seen or felt as they are deep muscle activity and could be picked up only on EMG. and even if you have fibrillations, they have to be statistically assessed in order to be considered as denervation ones. and for further MND diagnossi they have to be accompanied with certain other signs on EMG becasue deneravtion may be local due to trauma, age (in legs especially) or nerve compression.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby jerbear_13 on June 16th, 2014, 3:22 am

That's really great to know, Yuliasir!!! But what does it mean when my EMG showed no facsilations?
jerbear_13

Postby alex75 on December 4th, 2015, 6:13 am

Adamk wrote:Here is a fun little quiz to help tell if its just good old bfs. http://www.gotoquiz.com/bfs_test_benign ... n_syndrome

Enjoy I scored a 76 :)

Nice test, nice score too... 94 for me :D

After two years still no relief in my thoughts, and still wondering that i have ALS :(

Have just read part 1 & 2 again and are trying to accept / convince that it is just BFS or something else benign.

Thanks Arron for youre effort you put in these toppics and the rest of this forum.
alex75
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Questions About BFS