Flu Shots

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Flu Shots

Postby Jen on October 3rd, 2002, 7:56 pm

Has anyone had any flu shot experiences? It's flu season soon, and my company is offering free flu shots at the end of October. My BFS started long after last year's shot, but I'm wondering what I might expect this year. Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, with the flu shots?
Jen

Postby SusanSid on October 7th, 2002, 12:06 am

I hope I don't sound paranoid, but the last flu shot I got, in 1999 produced MS type symptoms. This is before my twitching started (which was 9months ago). My doctor reassured me and the symptoms did subside, but they were horrible. I did some research on it and there are documented cases where flu shots can (although very rare) neurological problems.
I'm for childhood immunizations, work in the medical field, so it's not as if I'm against western medicine. However, for me the flu shot was a very bad experience and I don't plan on ever getting another one. I think that most people do fine with flu shots, but they aren't for me.
Hope this helps.
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Guest on October 7th, 2002, 11:16 am

Had flu shot last year then I started the twitching, Im nopt having one this year. I wonder if it triggered the twitches because it is a live virus and I do have a weak immune system anyway???

Postby Jenn on October 7th, 2002, 6:37 pm

Thanks for the input. I found something on a website about the flu shot not being recommended for people with certain neurological conditions, such as MS. Now I can't find that website again! I believe that this year's flu shot will not contain any live viruses. I don't get the flu often, but when I do, I get hit abnormally hard. I still have a few more weeks to decide.
Jenn

Postby Arron on October 8th, 2002, 12:15 pm

I always get hit with the flu really hard and on occasion, it has turned into pnumonia. That really sucks. For the past 10 years, I have gotten flu shots and they have really helped me. I also got one of those lifetime pnumonia vaccines on my doctor's recommendation, being that I had that crud several times. The flu shot has it's ups and downs. I have a neighbor that almost died from it. It is a syndrome that can occur at any time in anyone. It is kind of like Bells Palsey, only it also attacks the liver and other internal organs. This guy's face went droopy, he lost control of most of his muscles and landed in the hospital for about a week. I can't remember the name of the condition but it does happen. You know what else happens? Car accidents that kill entire families, plane crashes, roberies, murders and so on, but do we stop driving, flying and living because of these things? I mean, a LOT of people everyday get crippled or killed in car accidents but how many get the terrible side effects from a flu shot? I'd rather take my chances and not have to deal with 2 or 3 weeks of living hell with the flu. We all got immunized and all of our children must get immunized or they can't be enrolled in school. Well, the side effects of some of those immunization shots are absolutely horrible as well. They can (and do) happen everyday. People also die from the flu each and every year (thousands nation wide). It is usually the elderly and/or sickly but you have to keep in mind, the flu is a prewtty serious virus and shouldn't be blown-of like we do with colds. Everything in life has risks, you just have to weigh the pro's and con's that best suit YOU. I have had no problems with twitching and the flu shot and I have not read anything where ANY neuro's have said to stay away from them, so I would not make the decision whether to get one or not based upon your BENIGN twitches. I hope that helped shed some light on the subject for some of you and put it into perspective. It's easy to get caught-up in the "I don't want to do anything that "might" amplify my twitches" scenario. That's a bad thing to get stuck-in. Been there, done that and won't do it again... and trying to help YOU not to make the same mistakes I already made :-)
Arron

Postby paranoid on October 8th, 2002, 1:56 pm

Right on Arron,
Everything has its risks and complications from the flu are more likely than complications from the immunization. I know so many people who imagine they get more colds, stomach flu etc after getting the flu shot! If they only realised it is specific for whatever flu is deemed to be the problem that year. It isnt going to increase or decrease your chances of contracting other viruses. In Ontario, Canada we are all given the opportunity to have free flu shots. They run clinics throughout Oct/ Nov. They feel it is helpful in keeping health care costs in check and avoiding back ups in emerg do to flu complications.
paranoid

Postby Jen on October 8th, 2002, 7:11 pm

Thanks Aaron! I knew I could count on you. I had that lifetime Pneumonia shot a few years back as well, and am glad that I did. Before that, each cold and flu that I came down with left me with an ear infection, or worse.
Jen

flu shot

Postby nathan on December 31st, 2002, 1:26 pm

I just read SusanSid's post concerning her reaction to a flu shot in 1999. I had flu shot two months ago and immediately developed widespread twitching and stiffness in my right calf which are neither progressing nor relenting. My question is how long SusanSid's flu shot reacton lasted? Thanks
nathan

Postby Jen on January 12th, 2003, 2:18 am

I'm just checking back in for a "post flu-shot" report. I received my shot in early November, and I had no reaction whatsoever to it. Not even a twitch. Woo Hoo!
Jen

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS