TWIN TWITCHES

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

TWIN TWITCHES

Postby kEG on October 2nd, 2002, 4:35 pm

Hi again!

O.K. , Please give me your theories regarding this. I am a 39 year old woman with an identical twin sister. We hang out all the time, and live 2 miles from each other. I have suffered from anxiety most of my life. My sister has not. I have the herpes virus and have had chicken pox (at age 28 ) and shingles. My sister has not. (She had the vaccine once it became available.) I developed an eye twitch 3 months ago, then a month later came the all over twitches. Had normal EMG and blood work. So far diagnosed with BFS. My sister just started twitching two or three days ago. No tests done on her yet. She is scheduled for next week.
We are both experiencing very similar symptoms. All over twitching (small, sporadic spasms), slight burning sensations, and numbness that comes and goes in extremities (only at night while sleeping). I want to mention that my eye twitch seems different than the other twitches, as it will always twitch if I sneeze, go under warm water, or flinch. It will also do it for no reason, but I can't illicit the same response with any of the other muscles.

Is it, in fact BFS? Do you think it could be heredity, environmental, viral, or just plain anxiety/sympathy? ( I have heard of many people with anxiety/ obsessive compulsive disorder regarding health matters having twitching. ) Any thoughts are appreciated!
kEG
Interested
Interested

Postby SusanSid on October 2nd, 2002, 11:56 pm

Keg,
I'm not a doctor, but my guess is the anxiety is aggravating your symptoms. Stress can do some terrible things to a body! However, it's maddening when one is told "it's all in your head, relax"! It's hard to know what to do first. If your emg was clean, believe it and move on.

Fibromyalgia can mimic alot of what your are describing. Perhaps you have both (which I'm sure I do). I have had the tingling, numbness (feels numb but I can feel), it's called parathesia. Your symptoms are similar to mine. If you want more info on books and websites, let me know. Have had flairups for over 8 years. I have good days, months etc. and not so good :?

First and foremost, try and keep your head clear of the negative thoughts. Fearing death each day is no way to live. Read the postings on this website and you'll learn a great deal.
Hang in there,
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

TWIN TWITCHES

Postby kEG on October 3rd, 2002, 8:54 pm

Sue,

Thanks! I agree about the negative thinking. I am trying to resolve that through therapy. I have had the "death fear/anxiety" thing for a while. It makes me wonder how many of us suffer from this, and if there is any correlation?

By the way, I had a great day today. Virtually NO twitches! Each time I got one, I made a consious decision not to worry about it, and change my thinking to a more positive subject. It seemed to work. I can't live in fear anymore. I've wasted too many years! I have a family to worry about, and take care of. I can't be a good parent/spouse if I'm freaking out all the time. I'm sure I'll have another bad day, but I will do my best to rid myself of these horrible, life wasting, negative thoughts of dread!

I hope you all find your own peace! With love and support!

KEG
kEG
Interested
Interested

TWIN TWITCHES

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS