NERVOUS "TWITCH"

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

NERVOUS "TWITCH"

Postby kEG on October 1st, 2002, 6:26 am

Hi all! I'm new here and pretty scared. I developed a twitch in my left eye about three months ago. That twitch lasted about a month before I started noticing the twitching everywhere. It has been another 2 months of non-stop twitching. It seems to be less noticeable during the day or when I'm active. But when I sit still there they are, scaring the hell out of me. I have had an EMG that was normal. The Dr. suggested it was stress related. So, I went on zoloft and xanax. It did help calm me, but twitches are still there. What worries me now is that last night I got my first leg cramp, and I woke several times during the night where my feet were "asleep" (slight pins-n-needles). Is this something MORE to worry about? I can't take this much more. I too am a Mom who can't bear the thought of leaving her kids. Should I be having any other tests done to rule the bad stuff out? Is this a "normal" symptom of BFS? Please help ease my mind!
kEG
Interested
Interested

Postby Twitcher (nli) on October 1st, 2002, 7:18 am

Hi Keg,
from your description, it sounds like you have either BFS or just stress. Twitching around the eye is caused by fatigue or stress and is nothing to worry about. The all over twitches are very common and again are probably benign. With a clean EMG, you can stop worrying about ALS. Also, ALS doesn't cause pins and needles feelings at all.
As far as your question goes, yes, everything you are describing is quite common with BFS. If you haven't yet, you may want to have your Thyroid checked and your electrolytes, as well. Don't worry, this is standard operating procedure. Sometimes problems with your Thyroid can cause twitching. Frankly though, it just sounds like a harmless case of BFS. Your best bet is to try and keep busy and not think about the twitching. With time, you'll stop noticing them and they will become less frequent. Hope this helps!
Twitcher (nli)

Postby kEG on October 1st, 2002, 9:06 am

Thanks for the confirmation. I do have borderline hashimotos thyroiditis. Was on synthroid when this all started. I have been off for over a month to see if it was a side effect from the med. So far no changes.

Interestingly enough, I have an identical twin sister who just last night began having twitches. We are very close, but have never had on of those twin sympathy pains before.

My question now is could this be heriditary? ( Incidentally, my Grandmother died from ALS 6 years ago) Or, could it be viral or inviornmental? We are perplexed! She came over crying this morning. Her symptoms were a bit different than mine, as hers began with pain and numbness in arm/shoulder, then twitches began in her arm and abdomen. She attributed it to possible muscle pull. BUt now has it everywhere.

Any thoughts?

KEG
kEG
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS