Sleep and lung results ( worried) please help.

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Sleep and lung results ( worried) please help.

Postby Tb12 on June 15th, 2019, 6:13 am

Hi guys,
Hope all is well.
8 years of twitching, jerking, shaking mucles and all things we mostly go through on here.
1 year of the sleeping issues.
If anyone has followed my posts i been having sleeping/breathing issues.
Today i was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, mosty causing hypoponeas.

All my lung function tests were within normal range but the low end, including my fvc.
Was prescribed a c-pap machine.
I dont have a diagnosis yet, emgs of limbs have always been clean the first 4 years of symptoms, didnt get any after that.
I have expressed a fear of als, its still worrying me with these sleep issues unfortunately. Could als present like this?
Tb12

Re: Sleep and lung results ( worried) please help.

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I have been following your posts. Was there any details provided to the diagnosis (results and conclusion)?

While decreased tonus and weakness in ALS often leads to obstructive sleep apnea, it would be truly rare if those were the only symptoms. To exclude that completely and give you peace of mind, I would suggest EMG of the paraspinals and diaphragm.

Maybe it is my imperfect English - you say your tests were normal (closer to the lower reference limit but still normal), and yet you were prescribed the c-pap? I guess you are not overweight, which is in most cases the cause.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Tb12 on June 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Thanks for replying twitchy doc.

My diagnosis was mild obstructive sleep apnea ( thats why i was put on a c-pap machine)

I am very overweight atm, im 142kg and a healthy weight for me would be 85kg.

My sleep and lung dr said that the spirometry test ( which checks your lung function ) was normal but it was on the lower end of normal.

So to sum it up my lungs were fine but the sleep study did show the osa, hence the c-pap machine.

I have been going through this sleeping stuff for a year now, and overall symptoms for 8-10 years.

My last emg was clean, it was done in 2016 limbs and face.

I thought it would have shown the nasty then? If there was anything to worry about.
Tb12

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 16th, 2019, 12:47 am

Tb12 wrote:Thanks for replying twitchy doc.

My diagnosis was mild obstructive sleep apnea ( thats why i was put on a c-pap machine)

I am very overweight atm, im 142kg and a healthy weight for me would be 85kg.

My sleep and lung dr said that the spirometry test ( which checks your lung function ) was normal but it was on the lower end of normal.

So to sum it up my lungs were fine but the sleep study did show the osa, hence the c-pap machine.

I have been going through this sleeping stuff for a year now, and overall symptoms for 8-10 years.

My last emg was clean, it was done in 2016 limbs and face.

I thought it would have shown the nasty then? If there was anything to worry about.

Man, being overweight is the cause of obstructive sleep apnea in majority of patients. If you do not have a medical condition that causes it (hormonal problems etc.), focus on losing some weight so that you reduce a risk of a stroke or a heart attack in addition to resolution of your obstructive apnea.
So, I really would not link your long-standing fasciculations with that. This is supported by the fact that your breathing issues have been going on for a year without deterioration in other areas or further progression.
Hope it helps!
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS