New here...and worried.

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New here...and worried.

Postby kdog on August 25th, 2003, 8:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been having random twitches all over my body for the past 3 months. Primarily in my feet, calves, and thighs but most recently beginning in my shoulders also. I was under alot of stress and experiencing alot of anxiety before the twitches began. I, like everyone else, am worried that it is ALS. I had a normal EMG 1 month after twitches began except for a finding of Ulnar nerve entrapment. I have an appointment at Northwestern Medical Center in Chicago on September 15th. Do you think by now, he will beable to know for sure if I have ALS or not. Im a 33 year old male with a 2 year old little girl and a 5 year old little boy that I am so worried about not having their Daddy around. Any info would be greatly appreciated. From my understanding ALS is so hard to diagnose how can you be sure it is just BFS?
kdog
Interested
Interested

Postby dwl on August 25th, 2003, 11:57 pm

kdog,

In people who have als, the emg picks up changes way before symptoms come on. Even 1 month into your twitching, a normal neuro exam and emg excludes als.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on August 26th, 2003, 6:29 am

Hey KDog,

David is right on the money. Listen to your neuro...otherwise you are going to get caught in a vicious cycle of never-ending anxiety that can wreck your life! Your kids DO need you, so that is exactly why you can't go around fixated on dying...because you owe them some living. You are fine....if you are still having problems, try therapy. It helped me out a lot when I was first twitching 5 years ago.

Welcome to the site!

Cheers,

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Anxiety

Postby kdog on August 26th, 2003, 6:49 am

Thank you for your replies. Im trying to stay out of the anxiety issue, but as Im sure you are aware, it is very difficult. Many of the other stories on this site have been of great help as they all seem to sound like mine. Thanks again.

kdog
kdog
Interested
Interested

Postby kim on August 27th, 2003, 1:43 pm

Hey Kdog!

Your kids are lucky to have a Dad like you. Your clean EMG should be a huge relief, and after the 15th, and you get the word that you are probably almost perfect, go kiss those beautiful kids of yours, and enjoy the rest of your life with them. Don't get caught up in the "what-if's". None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. So live each day to the fullest!

Stay off the internet and go play!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kdog on August 27th, 2003, 4:25 pm

Thanks Kim,

My wife's name is Kim and I've been driving her nuts, so I first thought you were her playing a joke. Anyway I saw how many posts you have and realized it couldn't be. Im trying to ignore the twitches and cramps and get on with my life. I like coming here to ease my fears when they start to rise. Thanks for the kind words. By the way, kdog is my nickname for my little boy.

Don (kdog)
kdog
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group