Going to neuro/what exactly is neuro exam?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Going to neuro/what exactly is neuro exam?

Postby PamT on August 15th, 2003, 1:03 pm

I have an appt today for the neuro. and everyone is always talking about their neuro exam.

Is that when they test your reflexes, coordination, make you squeeze something, make you push against their hands, pull their hands in, finger to nose test and test your eyes?

I want to know what to expect.. I'm very very nervous...
PamT
PamT

Postby wakefield on August 15th, 2003, 1:20 pm

Pam,

My neuro exams have consisted of finger to nose tests, nystagmus (eye tests-following their fingers), squeezing their hands, pushing against my arms while raised, reflex tests, walking on heels, walking on toes, deep knee bends (squats), rubbing my heels against my shins, touching my thumb to my fingers, etc. In my experience neuros will vary on their specific tests, and there are plenty more than I have mentioned. Some of these I'm sure have some scientific names established, but hopefully you get the idea. Don't worry, none of these tests are painful, and it is somewhat similar to having a general exam by a GP. Good luck.
wakefield
Interested
Interested

Postby SusanSid on August 16th, 2003, 2:03 am

PamT,
How did your doctor's appt. go with your neuro today? Keep us updated. Sure hope all went well and it helped you feel better.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby PamT on August 19th, 2003, 8:08 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you on my neuro. appt. from Friday.

This was a neuro muscular doctor...
He did the basic (very basic) neuro exam. Walk on heels, walk on toes, reflexes, test feeling in hands and feet.

He asked important questions that many of you have brought up before:
Have you stumbled while walking?
Have you dropped things?
Have you had problems walking up stairs - tripping over steps?
Have you tried to pick something up but couldn't?

All things that people on this forum have talked about and it all has to do with function.

I mentioned the tremor in my hand, the tingling and the buzzing under my feet..... it didn't seem to cause him any concern.

He told me that he is 99% sure that I don't have any bad diseases.... the only way he could be 100% sure is to do an EMG, which he didn't recommend and he wouldn't do it if he were me. But he gave me the option...

Half of my problem is the drug that I took for a supposed sinus infection called Levaquin. . it causes peripheral neuropathy and other nervous system problems if you are sensitive to the side effects. It has a half life of 2-3 weeks in your body, but some doctors believe that the side effects can be long term. Some people suffer up to a year with them.
He said the medicine might have caused my muscles to twitch. I then did the famous search on Google and boom!... my body put out a ton of adrenaline, which overloaded my muscles, which made them twitch, which caused me anxiety, which caused my body to put out more adrenaline, etc.

A vicious cycle. He offered me drugs, which I didn't take.. I would prefer to be able to deal with this myself, but we'll see.
He told me several times that it was more anxiety than anything that caused my problems....... that I did not have a bad disease.

Which is probably the case with the people on this forum. The anxiety is causing a ton of problems - our bodies can't handle constant anxiety, so something will be affected.

So I went camping this weekend and hardly twitched! I think my mind was feeling a little better after seeing him. I'm trying to concentrate on staying calm and not thinking about things as much. The doctor told me to try meditation .... we all have stress in our lives and there are times that it overwhelms us. Isn't that the truth?

Thanks for thinking of me!
PamT
PamT

Great!

Postby Renae on August 19th, 2003, 8:31 am

That's great news, Pam! I'm so glad your appointment went well and you left feeling better about the whole thing. It sounds like your doctor was very reassuring and helpful!

Take care!
Renae :)
Renae

Postby dwl on August 19th, 2003, 9:00 am

He asked important questions that many of you have brought up before:
Have you stumbled while walking?
Have you dropped things?
Have you tried to pick something up but couldn't?

All things that people on this forum have talked about and it all has to do with function.

Everyone - print this out and nail it to your wall.

David

PS Pam, I'm glad everything went well.
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on August 19th, 2003, 9:03 am

So, you've got an answer - you don't have it! I hope you will keep believing what your neuro said - if he is a neuromuscular it's very unlikely that he's wrong.
Congratulations
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby PamT on August 19th, 2003, 11:06 am

Yes I will believe him.

Thank you Marcin. We all have to believe that we don't have - as the neuro says - "a bad disease".

I think that he sees many people with the bad diseases. He is one of the main doctors involved with the ALS support group here in Pittsburgh.

He is also a psychiatrist - which I think is an excellent combination when you have to deal with people who have a lot to deal with themselves.

He was very adamant about the anxiety problem...he told me that he's sees medical doctors all the time who come to him because they are twitching.. He said they walk into his office visibly twitching in all different places and they are totally stressed out. No different than anyone else except they are doctors and probably recognize symptoms more easily- just like the people in the Mayo clinic study. And he said all of them are anxious - they don't have a disease.
PamT
PamT

Postby SusanSid on August 19th, 2003, 11:59 pm

Pam,
Great news! I know your appt. made us ALL feel better! Thanks for the detailed info that the doctor shared. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I think that anxiety makes this condition much worse. I'm back at school and my twitching has really increased....stress:-)

Happy about your good news and thanks again for sharing :-)
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on August 20th, 2003, 5:39 am

I've been doing that my whole life! :lol: Well, I guess I normally run up steps two at a time and that probably has something to do with it, though.

Glad to hear you had a great appointment and thanks for sharing it with us.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group