more questions...sorry

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

more questions...sorry

Postby 25 on August 8th, 2003, 11:58 am

I've been writing about the dent in my thigh and have been trying sooo hard not to dwell on it (not to look it at, measure it etc). Easier said than done! I went as far as try to get an appt w/ a neuro, but can't get on for a couple of months. I figure if it's something bad, it'll manifest itself by then!

Please please bare w/ me because I don't know where else to turn-who else to ask...

I've been measuring my thigh eversince I have noticed this (about 2 wks ago) and it's still the same (also the same as the other thigh). The thing is that it has started aching though. I'm not sure if this is considered a cramp or not, but it really hurts, almost all the time! My other leg also feels a bit sore, but not as bad as this one. That's not helping things!

I have been upping my exercise routine and have been working on my legs (every other day, aerobic every day). Maybe I'm overdoing it? Or I'm just losing strength in that leg?

How can I get past this constant fear? I think "this ache" is the same I have had previously but in both legs. What's scaring me now is that it's just in that thigh (the one w/ the dent in it). If it was truly atrophy, it wouldn't just remain a dent, right?

Once again, I am so sorry for being such a pain! Really, I don't know where else to turn. BTW, my husband did test my strength and feels that my legs are as strong as they have ever been (even stronger he thinks), but of course, "I feel that weakness". I do try and relax, but as soon as I feel that "ache", the fear comes back.

Thanks for listening.

Sandra

Work out routine

Postby KERRI on August 8th, 2003, 12:10 pm

I work out very hard and notice this weeks that my hands have been getting aches and pains in them. What is the difference between and ache and a cramp?

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on August 8th, 2003, 12:44 pm

An ache is soreness in the muscle. A cramp is when the muscle shortens and hardens (why do they call it Charlie Horse?)

ALS cannot be diagnosed with a tape measure so DON'T DO IT. Atrophy is always accompanied by weakness, i.e. not being able to do something. Tired, achey muscles are very common in bfs - as I sit here typing, I'm also reflecting on my tired, achey muscles!

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby 25 on August 8th, 2003, 1:43 pm

Thank You David! I guess I am not having true cramps yet then...Not now anyhow!

This has to get easier than this! I've been at it for 5 months!

Yeah I am not having a cramp

Postby KERRI on August 8th, 2003, 1:57 pm

It does not really tighten up, it just gets a real sharp pain and dull ache.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on August 8th, 2003, 2:09 pm

Then it's not a cramp!
dwl
Hero
Hero

Exercise

Postby Flash19 on August 10th, 2003, 2:28 pm

You should never exercise a body part more than once a week (the only exception is your middle leg). No wonder your legs are sore. If you keep overdoing it then I can guarantee they will wither away to nothing, then you'll worry even more. If you want to exercise more frequently then take up swimming, but still only every second day at most.

Been there.

Flash
Flash19

Postby PamT on August 11th, 2003, 7:35 am

I can relate. My arms have been aching off and on and they are tingling.
Which makes me more stressed out and twitch more.

I didn't twitch much over the weekend because I kept busy, but the minute I start thinking about it, I start twitching.

I think the aching is common - it seems to move around. My legs ached, then they stopped and now my arms ache.
PamT
PamT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group