Things I am worried about

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Things I am worried about

Postby Flash19 on August 5th, 2003, 11:01 am

Here are the things that most worry me:

1) Parts of me are different circumferences, varying by a couple of inches.

2) When I was last at a neuro (for cluster headaches) he did the reaction test thing with the hammer on my knees. My legs swung out involuntarily quite a big. They didn't fully extend but they fairly swung out. Not massively fast, but the swung out maybe half way. The neuro sort of commented on this with a laugh, but that was all.

I realise on their own that these 2 things mean nothing, but they still scare me.

I have been twitching for 2.5 years now, so I figure I'm OK. In every way my symptoms point to BFS after from those listed above, and 1) might not even be a symptom because I am not the worlds most symetrical person and never have been. As for 2) I have no idea how far the leg is meant to move or how fast. I recall being test by a neuro before and the leg didn't move very much. Please be aware that the last test was 2 years ago...

I know - I'm a idiot. If nothing else this may serve to reassure someone else who has similar symptoms. Provided I live.

Flash
Flash19

I need to make a comment

Postby KERRI on August 5th, 2003, 11:09 am

Flash
The leg thing sounds like mine were, hence the word were, they have suddenly gone back to normal. The last two neuro visits they only moved ever so slightly that is normal. When they could kick a football that is sometimes worrisome especially if they are not symetrical. I was told by my neuro that anxiety makes them worse, so were ya anxious, I am sure you were. They have to see you several times to make that distinction.
You are okay, it has been two years, and another thing I have alot friends that are doctors and I have posed the question about my right calf being slightly smaller than the left, it has always been that way, they told me that the dominant side tends to be a little larger the the non-dominant.

I hope that helps.

Kerri
KERRI
Hero
Hero

Postby dwl on August 5th, 2003, 11:13 am

Flash,

Don't get hung up on asymmetry. ALS isn't diagnosed with a tape measure. If you had wasting which was the cause of the asymmetry, you would have definite weakness (= loss of function) and reflex changes. Any competent neuro would not discharge you from a clinic if they thought that you had abnormal reflexes. When mine were checked I was surprised how high my leg jumped. It all depends how hard you hit the knee - try it and see.

It's not your fault you're a bit lumpy. It may be the butteries :-)

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Flash19 on August 5th, 2003, 12:53 pm

Oh yeah he did hit it quite hard. He wasn't playing.

BTW please never use the B word in my presence. Those delicacies are know as 'rowies' or 'morning rolls', never b*******s. The word b****** was invented by non-Aberdonians who term a roll, something that doesn't in fact roll. I submit that Aberdonians are richt and you are wrang in this definition of roll.

Flash
Flash19

Postby dwl on August 5th, 2003, 2:19 pm

I'm sorry. My wife is from Montrose, where butteries rule supreme. Need I say more?
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on August 6th, 2003, 2:15 am

Flesh

IMO pathological knee reflex is when your leg (foot) does few extra jerks. It's called clonus and in neuro scale is ranged as 4 or 4+. Even fast kicking without extra jerks will be always 3 or 3+ and is only brisk reflex, not pathological or hyper.
And the most important - if your reflexes are symetrical that's a very good sign.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby Pole on August 6th, 2003, 2:16 am

Flash

IMO pathological knee reflex is when your leg (foot) does few extra jerks. It's called clonus and in neuro scale is ranged as 4 or 4+. Even fast kicking without extra jerks will be always 3 or 3+ and is only brisk reflex, not pathological or hyper.
And the most important - if your reflexes are symetrical that's a very good sign.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

ok...

Postby Flash19 on August 6th, 2003, 6:30 am

So you're saying that since my lower legs each just swung out ONCE about half way at a normal sort of speed then I'm OK.

Had my legs been jerking about, or swung out more than once, in an uncontrolled way, and one had been worst than the other, then my visit to the crapper would have been justified???

Do I have this correct?

Flash
Flash19

Postby Pole on August 6th, 2003, 6:55 am

Correct. But remember, I'm not a neuro. All my knowledge is from Polish and American neurological sources and from my talks with neurologists during 4 neuro exams.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group