A Post i read about twitching in normal people good i think?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby dyingyoung on May 12th, 2007, 7:39 am

Hi, here is a post i read about fasciculation potentials that were measured in healthy people as part of a study, i will put the posting below. I assumed this to mean that 1.5% of the normal everyday people in the study had benign fasciculations mainly in the feet. I am not sure this is true so would appreciate any comments on interrpreting the article.

Thanks

The aim of this study was to investigate the fasciculation potentials (FPs) in the small-peripheral muscles of the foot and hand and the possible associated factors, in a healthy population. One hundred-twenty-two normal individuals (65 men and 57 women), aged 17-67 years (mean 39.96, SD=12.76) participated in the study. A special questionnaire consisting of 47 questions was devised as the basic instrument of the interview, which included the Hamilton anxiety rating scale. The extensor digitorum brevis (EDB), the flexor hallucis brevis (FHB) and the first dorsal interosseous (FDI) muscles were studied bilaterally using surface electrodes. In 94 (58 men and 36 women) from 122 participants (65 men and 57 women) FPs were recorded (men 89.2%, women 63.1%, all 77%). The mean FPs per minute and muscle, in all three muscles, was 8.0 (SD=4.6). More FPs were recorded in the muscles of foot than in FDI (p<0.01) and in FHB than in EDB (p<0>0.1, p<0.01). The syndrome of benign FPs was observed in 2 men (1.6% of men). These results suggest that FPs are a very common phenomenon in the peripheral muscles of healthy persons.

Any comments on what this means exactly would be good but i took it to be a positve and that foot twitching is indeed very common???

Robert
dyingyoung
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group