need an answer

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

need an answer

Postby kim on July 24th, 2003, 3:06 pm

Hi guys!

I'm on vacation, supposed to be relaxing, and all I can think about is this stupid twitching, and now I noticed a big dent in my thigh! For the first time in my life, I hope it's cellulite!

Anyway, could someone help me understand the process of muscle wasting? I don't think I feel weakness, but I am noticing a definite dent in my thigh muscle. It's about 1 inch long, and about 2 inches wide. From the outside it does look like cellulite, but when I press around, the diamater is much larger than it appears. It also seems a bit tender, but it could be because I've been poking around at it.

I'm starting to freak out about it, and need some reassurance if possible.

Thanks!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby spb on July 24th, 2003, 4:15 pm

Where on the thigh Kim?
spb

Postby Dale on July 28th, 2003, 8:21 am

Hi Kim - I don't know much about muscle wasting but I am familiar with thigh "dents". I have one as well & when I started twitching last September, I noticed the "dent" for the first time. Mine is on my front quad, halfway between my knee & hip. It is more noticeable when I'm sitting. Anyway, I mentioned it to my physiotherapist & he reminded me of an old thigh muscle pull I had years ago. He said that these kind of injuries are common & can result in "dents".

Hope this helps. Now go enjoy that vacation!

Sincerely,

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby 25 on July 28th, 2003, 3:30 pm

Weird! I just noticed a dent in my thigh too!! I am freaking out because I don't know whether or not it was there before or not! I keep thinking, if it was, I would've seen it!
I don't know what atrophy looks like so this is really scaring me. Mine is on my left thigh, pretty high up and more to the side. It's like a straight line (!!?), probably 5-6 inches and very obvious! I feel no weakness! I still exercise and stuff so I don't know!
My husband looked at it and doesn't think anything of it. He thinks I'm overreacting (as usual) and assures me that it's not atrophy. He had atrophy when he had a cast on his leg and tells me that atrophy develops pretty quickly (within a wk or so) and that "my line" is not atrophy.
Is it possible to have atrophy w/out weakness? Maybe this is just the beginning? Eughhhhhhhhh!
I totally don't want to go and see a dr about this! (I have been freaked about my calves, my arms, my throat and NOW THIS!).
I think I'll just wait and see if it progresses (now how awful does that sound)?? But, how long should I wait?
My husband keeps telling me that atrophy is shrinkage of muscle, that there is definite weakness, that it does not look like this-BUT HE IS NOT A DR!
Someone? Anyone?
Help!

Sandra

Postby spb on July 28th, 2003, 3:44 pm

I thought I had a dent on my thigh - went to a dr. - who looked at me and said (kindly) that it was fat and cellulite.

I have never looked at the dent again. (That was five years ago).

However - I am now obsessing over what I think is a dent in my side...so it goes...
spb

Postby spb on July 28th, 2003, 3:44 pm

I thought I had a dent on my thigh - went to a dr. - who looked at me and said (kindly) that it was fat and cellulite.

I have never looked at the dent again. (That was five years ago).

However - I am now obsessing over what I think is a dent in my side...so it goes...
spb

Postby 25 on July 28th, 2003, 8:07 pm

Wow!! My husband also told me it was cellulite!!! He didn't want to say it earlier (not to hurt my feelings). I never wanted cellulite in my life THIS BAD!! I pray to God that that's what it is. I didn't even know what cellulite looked like before! I thought it only happened to people who were overweight???

Anyhow, I really hope that that's all it is. Does anyone know how long does it take for atrophy to get really bad AND once again, is it possible to have "it" w/out any weakness?

Thanks!!

Sandra

Postby tlotoxl on July 29th, 2003, 2:44 am

i don't think 'it' can be diagnosed without weakness being detected.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on July 29th, 2003, 2:52 am

I think that atrophy is really a shrinkage of muscle - muscle becomes smaller and smaller. And I am sure there is no possibility to have atrophy in hands or legs and do not feel weakness. Think about that - what is atrophy? It is a process of vanishing a muscle tissue because you dont use a muscle (you can see atrophy even when you have a broken leg and don't use your leg for a month).
So the muscle vanishes because you dont use them and because there is no connection between muscle and nerves. Do you think it is possible not to feel weakness in this stage of the disease? I dont think so.

regards
Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby twitchaholic on July 31st, 2003, 9:51 am

I have a huge dent in my upper right thigh. About 5 years ago I noticed it and freaked out. Went to a neuro for that (neuros love me). Turns out it was a dent from a childhood injury that just showed up as an adult in the form of a dent. Whew!
Seems to me with atrophy, you wouldn't have one dent in one area only.
I don't worry about the dent anymore. It has been there way too long.
twitchaholic

Postby kim on August 1st, 2003, 6:23 pm

I'm back from vacation, and back to my senses! Getting old is a *beep*. You find more dents and glitches than ever before, and find that your body starts to change in some not so graceful ways. Especially when you have too much time on your hands!

Vacation was FUN! We went across the country from FL to MA to visit in-laws. Then to Niagra Falls for FUN! Then to WI to visit MY parents, then to Nashville for more FUN, then back to Sunny FL! (I need a vacation after my vacation!)

My sis is still freaking, but making great strides in getting over her ALS fears. She is seeing Dr.s and shrinks, and should be back to "semi-normal" soon.

I see a lot has happened since I went away. I hope you all are doing well, and pray for peace for all of us daily!

I think that staying away from the internet the past few weeks was the best thing for me. No scares, no Carolmarie stories and "strange coincidences", No what if's!

We should all take a break for a few weeks, and see what happens!

Stay happy!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group