Family Members

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Family Members

Postby kim on July 9th, 2003, 9:24 am

Does anyone else here have family members who twitch like you?

I think I have mentioned this before, but I have a twin sister who started twitching soon after I did. Her's was to a lesser degree. So, we figured it was either "sympathy" twitching, or that she just started noticing them because I made such a big issue out of them.

Anyway, she now is experiencing them to the degree I used to. She too is in a panic over it. Our Grandmother died of ALS, and we are well aware of the symptoms and progression. However, there seems to be so many opinions, and variations of it's progression, that at times it still makes me wonder. (Unfortunatly)

ALS can be familial. But not one other person in our family has had it but Grandma. Should this be worth pondering, or should we dismiss it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Dale on July 9th, 2003, 9:57 am

Hi Kim - have you recovered from the house party?

For what it's worth, I have a friend who's Dad passed away from ALS two years ago. Afterwards, we went out for beers to talk & he mentioned that during one of the family appointments with the Neuro, he asked about the possibility of him or another family member contracting ALS.

The neuro, basically laughed at him (in a nice way) & said that he understood Shawn's concerns but the chances of it happening were EXTREMELY low.

As my Commonwealth cousins down-under say - "NO WORRIES!"

Sincerely,

Dale
Dale
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floater on July 10th, 2003, 4:33 pm

my girlfriend has constant fasiculations in her left calf....we use to put our legs together and watch them twitch.
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Arron on July 10th, 2003, 11:52 pm

Now THAT's romantic! :lol:
Arron

Postby kim on July 11th, 2003, 10:49 am

My poor sister is freaking out! Now she is convinced she can't swallow properly. She is certain the end is near. Her Dr. told her she has some serious post nasal drip going on, but she is convinced he is wrong.

Boy can I relate! (I'm sure all of us can!) Even though it's been a year for me with NO weakness or atrophy and some really good months without much twitching, she can't seem to believe it's benign.

Our Grandma passed away from ALS 7 years ago. So the thought of the familial possibility stays with us. It is very hard to shake. No one else in our family shows any signs or symptoms of BFS, just us two.

Why do we let ourselves get so worked up?

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group