Anxiety/Flashback Theory confirmed!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anxiety/Flashback Theory confirmed!

Postby kim on June 27th, 2003, 9:44 am

Well at least for me it is!

Ever since I read Carol's post, I find myself obsessing over the "what if it's....that dreaded disease" thing again. I'm twitching more, and I'm noticing pain in one of my calves and foot, and numbness in my hands again.

It started almost immediatly after the news of Carol sunk in. It could be coincidence, but I doubt it. Now it's just trying to get back to where I was mentally.

I am trying like heck to shake it, and relax.

Am I the only one?

Just when I thought I had this thing beat, something throws me a curve!

KIm
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby j1 on June 27th, 2003, 10:04 am

Kim,
I agree. However, do not let this get you down. We need to consider that (as far as I have read) this is the first time something like this has happened. The other folks that have come down with ALS have had very REAL symptoms from the start..like footdrop, falling, walking etc...not twitching and a little sensory stuff. Hang in there...we will all get through this together.
J
j1

Postby Arron on June 28th, 2003, 1:32 pm

Read my post in "okay guys I got some answers" and you'll see whay there's no reason to worry, OK?

I know the flash backs can be scary and it starts things all over again, but please think about the overwhelming information that supports otherwise, OK? Go read that post... It pretty much sums it up.
Arron

Postby kim on June 28th, 2003, 4:41 pm

Okay Guys, I'm feeling better!

I knew from the the minute my twitching started up again it was anxiety related. It took me a while to calm down and get my schmit together again. But I knew deep down inside that I was FINE!

It just confirms to me how our mind can wreak havoc on our bodies if we let it. :shock:

I'm back to an occasional twitch here and there, and the other symptoms are gone again too!

This reminds me of the angel on one shoulder telling me I'm fine :D , and the devil on the other shoulder telling me I have something terribly wrong! :twisted:

I'm sending that little devil packing!!!! :!:

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on June 28th, 2003, 11:57 pm

Kim, you GO girl! Take control and don't let that little devil :twisted: voice drive you crazy, OK? I'm glad you are feeling better now :)
Arron

Postby alive on June 29th, 2003, 1:57 am

Well, I'm still scared, no matter what. I wish I hadn't come here a couple of days ago... :( I thought I was in the clear (an emg & clinical at TWO WEEKS!!) and now twitching for over 3 months.

I had a "strangling feeling" in my throat from week 3 onwards for about 1,5 months. Well, now (after THE POST) I've started to concentrate on my swallowing. I have no problems when eating, but what worries me, is that I sometimes (once a day) swallow my own saliva in a "wrong" way, so that I end up coughing, if you know what I mean.

Well - now I'm examining my muscles constantly for signs of atrophy. I freak out at every twitch (I'm freaking out a lot!) a I test my muscles for strength.

What also worries me is that I tremble, especially in the night. I can feel my muscles tremble, but it's not visible. And it's not a result of anxiety either, since I wake up in the middle of the night - completely calm - and feel my arms and legs "shake inside".

I'd like to hear your views on this...
alive

alive

Postby graberc on June 29th, 2003, 7:34 am

I remeber late last summer. I concentrated a little on bipolar. .Whenever a drumb got stuck in my throat.. .I would swallow salavia all the time "testing" the process. ..

I had an emg at about a month, and it was limited. Enough room to wonder. . .to be scared.. I asked why not do more. . .the neuro said, with an look, well your left thumb is symptomatic. . .so it would show up there.

I saw another neuro at 6, and 6+. . .he didn't do a EMG, but he was through.

I think I feel a trembelning in my left leg some times. Not visible. I've never been woken up or anything. ..and it's slight. The only thing I can feel when I touch is a heart beat.

I still worry, at almost 12 months. Your symptoms don't seem to be anything out of the ordanairy here.
graberc

Postby kim on June 29th, 2003, 11:33 am

Alive,

At the height of my anxiety I too felt a constant "lump" in my throat. This is a VERY common occurance with anxiety. I was examining myself constantly, and even convinced my self I had trouble swallowing, and eventually, I felt my speech was slurring! I was a mess!

I know from experience how hard it is not to focus on this, but you have to try to keep your self occupied, and keep your thoughts positive! If it makes you feel better, go back to the Dr. and ask for another EMG of that area. But my guess is you're just becoming overly sensative to your inner workings.

Please try not to worry yourself so much. Seek therapy if necessary. I am sure you will be far better off if your mental health is in order.

Take Care! I totally feel your pain!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group