Well, I really did it this time!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Well, I really did it this time!

Postby 25 on June 22nd, 2003, 11:36 pm

Because my left arm was "feeling weak", I was testing my strength....like every day! I kind of forgot that I had a pulled back muscle last year (because of lifting my son in his seat) and sure enough........I injured it again!! Stupid, stupid, stupid! It honestly did not even enter my mind that I should be careful! On top of it all, I went to the drugstore tonight to buy a heating pad and when I went to the register, the electronic screen read.......help cvs fight ams, donate a dollar! I almost freaked! How strange is that?
I came home and took a xanax and am going to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be better...
Just had to share this w/ someone!
SAndy

Postby reneeintx on June 23rd, 2003, 9:41 am

Hi Sandy~

This weekend I was in the garage and the door was open. This lady that frequents the neighborhood is a Jehovah's witness, goes around giving out pamphlets. If I'm outside I take one, because on ocassion I enjoy reading them.

Well her and I got to talking and I told her I was having health problems she asked me what they were. I told her about the twitching and the ALS fears. She said her husband's first wife died of it while in her late forties. She lived six years :( I could feel my heart racing as she was talking. After she left I could feel the ALS fears enveloping me. I came in and decided to get on the computer and saw Carol's post.

What a depressing day it was.

Makes me wonder.. just how rare is this disease???

Renee :?
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Brian_B on June 23rd, 2003, 1:29 pm

how rare is what disease?

if you mean ALS, consider the following

the population of the U.S. is around 260,000,000
about 5,500 people are diagnosed with ALS a year in the U.S.

the chance of somoene being diagnosed with ALS is 0.000021%
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reneeintx on June 23rd, 2003, 2:00 pm

Brain~

I have read the statistics..but I still wonder, especially about the age factor. The jehovah lady's first husband's wife died in her late 40's of ALS.

My neighbor next door had a co-worker that got diagnosed in his early 30's.

I thought this was a 50ish disease??

Renee :( BTW~I'm 39, and hating it!!
Last edited by reneeintx on June 23rd, 2003, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on June 23rd, 2003, 3:03 pm

Get this bad luck...

I dated this guy in college whose mother and father's father BOTH died of ALS.
Weird eh?
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Arron on June 23rd, 2003, 3:41 pm

There have been two documented cases of people being hit by meteors too... a few people have had blue ice come crashing through their houses, a frozen man fell off a landing 747 and crashed through a roof of someone's house (he was hiding in the landing gear area and fell out when they re-opened for landing), small fish rained in a town in europe in the 80's and covered the streets, and there are people that die from food alergies they supposedly didn't have, bee stings when they weren't allergic to them, and twins that were separated at birth that found each other at age 60 and both were firemen and both moved to the same town, etc...

My point? there are LOTS of strange things that happen in this world, ALS is extremely rare, like BrianB put it, the percentage of people that contract ALS are 0.000021% I'll bet that's less than the people who win the lottery nation wide... feel lucky? Go buy a lottery ticket and quit your job before the numbers are announced... you probably have a better chance of winning than getting ALS, and you KNOW you have a better chance of getting cancer or dying in a car crash or even drowning in your own swimming pool than ever getting ALS.

This has been beaten into the ground many, many times... put it this way, ALS is extremely rare but because there are SO many people in concentrated areas these days and communication is so advanced these days, you are bound to find somebody that knows someone with ALS... just don't let that thought scare you when all you have is BFS. There's no reason to be cared of BFS.
Arron

Postby Brian_B on June 23rd, 2003, 4:09 pm

one thing that has contributed to there being more people diagnosed with ALS in their 20s or 30s is Gulf War vets. for some reason ALS strikes them a much higher rate than it does the general population. And obviously most of them as well as the current soldiers in the middle east will be in their 20s and 30s.
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on June 23rd, 2003, 5:05 pm

Because soldiers of today have leaner muscle fiber maybe? Nerve gas agents they might have been exposed to that simply weren't detected or that the government isn't saying anything about? We all know how truthful THEY are! So who knows? There is a town in the US that has a very high percentage of ALS patients. It was near the "secret" military air base, Area 51. So can ALS be chemicallly induced? I don't know. Isn't our whole body made-up of and run on "chemicals" of sort anyway?...
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group