New Symptoms, need help please

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Symptoms, need help please

Postby Katie on June 14th, 2003, 5:52 am

Hi,

Been twitching for about 8 months. Symptoms before twitching started were pins & needles in legs & feet. Even had a tremor for about 4 months which seems to have subsided as a few months ago. The twitching doesn't bother me anymore because I know it's benign. Had an EMG and just showed compression on my ulnar nerves [outside nerves in hands] but nothing serious.

I'm starting to have new symptoms which are pretty extreme and they are starting to frighten me. I'm seeing my neurologist for a follow-up visit next week and so of course I'll address this with him. But for now, I'm so confused. I thought I had BFS and this was it and it was no big deal and I could handle it. But these new symptoms don't seem to fit the category of BFS [from what I have read here through all the posts as well as Arron's detailed post on BFS].

About a week ago, I was lying in bed before I fell asleep and my left forearm started feeling tight, like it was being pulled. Then it felt like a tight wave, like a rolling pin was going over the muscle and it was so intense that my left pinky started jerking. It didn't last long, because I turned over and slept on it to make it stop. [It still happened for a little while until it calmed down.] Before it stopped, I had these two very strong "thumps" on my forearm -- like someone took a rubber band an zinged me twice [but without the pain of the skin contact]. This happened right after I had my EMG, so I thought maybe it was just a reaction to the jolts I had with the electric shocks. So I forgot about it.

Then last night, a week later, I was lying in bed again, and I had the very same sensation in my left leg. The outside of my calf muscle got very tight and then started "rolling". My left foot then became very right, and my small toe started twitching. Then I had these two major "thumps" on the bottom of my foot. Again, not a twitch, but a big "thump". Then some pins & needles and just weird neuro feeling. Later, some twitches in the foot. Also, my left foot has been falling asleep more lately -- I even woke up to my toes being asleep the other night.

These are all new symptoms and I don't like them one bit. These can't be right -- they don't seem to fit into BFS from what I have read. There are times, when I just can't take the stress from this anymore.

Thanks for any help or insights on this.

Katie
Katie
Katie

Postby Jenn311 on June 14th, 2003, 7:22 am

Hey Katie...

I am not sure exactly it is that you are experiencing...but it kinda sounds like a cramp, only not painful. If that is the case I think that it's pretty consistant with BFS (or BFCS==>benign fasic. and cramp syndr.). You already know that BFS can cause all sorts of weird symptoms...so just relax. And I have heard a lot of people describe some of their twitches as big "thumps", so I don't think that is necessarily unusual either. More than likely you are still fine. I am willing to bet it's anxiety related. I know it can be scary though. It's like we get comfortable enough with where we are at in BFS, and then along comes another symptom and we freak out all over again. Why are we doing this to ourselves? Who knows...human nature I guess.
Take care!
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Rich Longer on June 14th, 2003, 6:17 pm

Katie

I can only agree with what Jen has said.

Please don't lose sight of the fact you had normal emg etc - People do report a lot of very strange symptoms with BFS. Please let us know what your neurologist says. I am sure you will be fine

Best wishes

Rich
Rich
Rich Longer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group