Jolting and jerking

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Jolting and jerking

Postby Krissy1028 on April 23rd, 2003, 10:32 am

Hi all! I haven't posted in a while, but I was wondering how many of you have jolted or jerked when your muscle decided to twitch. I've had it happen to me and wondered if everyone else had the same reaction. Thanks!
Krissy1028

Postby fastpage on April 23rd, 2003, 11:52 am

I have the same thing once in a while. I will get a large jerk or spasm when I twitch, usually in the abdomen or arm. It only happens once every couple of days or so.
fastpage

Hi

Postby reneeintx on April 23rd, 2003, 11:56 am

Yes I get those too. I'll be sitting here at the computer and my whole leg will jump(move). My arms seem to do the same thing. One night while I was sleeping my whole body jerked and when I woke up I was sitting up. ~scary~

I planned on asking the neuro at my recent appt. about this and I forgot(I should've wrote some things down). That question just got lost in the heap of questions I was asking. Now I'll have to wait til October to ask.. that's my next appt.

I hope some other people jump in here and say they've experienced this also.

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Carolmarie on April 24th, 2003, 8:21 am

My worst experiences are at night. I have been awakened out of a sound sleep with twitching and tremoring. If I put my hand on my skin, it literally feels like electrical current going through it. It's very bizarre and very difficult to explain. I jerk at times too.
Carolmarie

Sleep twitching...

Postby Ian on May 21st, 2003, 12:53 pm

Hey all...new member here, mostly just been reading. But I did want to mention something about the jerking and twitching people get at night when they try to go to sleep.

I don't know if it exactly applies to people who've mentioned it (as in, there might be a difference between people just about falling asleep and being asleep for hours...), but there is something called a <a href="http://www.psywww.com/asc/dreamfaq/node20.html">myoclonic jerk</a>. This is a spasm of the large muscle groups that occurs when you are trying to fall asleep.

These are COMPLETELY normal. I've gotten them for as long as I can remember (well before the BFS, which, admittedly, gets worse at night for me because that's when I'm alone and thinking about it).

Some people never get them. Some people feel it for half an hour before they fall asleep. Sometimes I'll be in that half-asleep state and almost dreaming and I think I'm about to stumble and my body just convulses massively -- enough to wake up another person in bed with me. It's just one of those things that happens.
Ian

jolting

Postby Rich Longer on May 21st, 2003, 1:20 pm

I used to get these jots when i was awake as well.

Arron mentions it in his BFS in a nutshell - he calls these big twitches thumpers.

they are disturbing aren't they.

Thankfully I haven't had this for a while

Rich
Rich
Rich Longer

Postby alive on June 9th, 2003, 1:08 pm

I called my neurologist when I had my first jolts and jerks - at night. She said " well, the it can't be ALS, since ALS patients never have muscles jerks!"
alive

Postby Arron on June 11th, 2003, 1:35 am

Yep, I still get them all the time. And "alive" said it all too well; "well, then it can't be ALS, since ALS patients never have muscles jerks!"
How true that is!
Arron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group