SSRI's can cause twitching

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

SSRI's can cause twitching

Postby reneeintx on April 14th, 2003, 3:23 pm

I saw my neurologist today and I asked him about the prozac that I've been on for the last 9 years. He said his BFS patients that take SSRI's(prozac, zoloft,wellbutrin, paxil ect) have a higher incidence of developing BFS. He's seen people quit twitching a few months after they've stopped these drugs. Some only have decreased twitching..hey I'll take that!

Just this past weekend I went into a book store and sat my twitchy a** down with a book entitled "prozac backlash" and it said you can start twitching from the start of the med's and even years after taking it. Today is my deciding factor with prozac. I'm going to slowly wean off and see if it works.

Any way the doc said the less med's you are on the better. Makes sense to me. :)

Renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kim on April 14th, 2003, 7:19 pm

Renee,

I started taking SSRI (Zoloft) AFTER twitching began. It dramatically reduced my twitching. I do think that it did give me a bit of a tremor at times though. But the twitching was not a side effect.

I also agree that the less medicine taken the better. But, right now, I am loving my zoloft!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarah on April 14th, 2003, 11:01 pm

I've also taken Prozac for years - eight I think. I just recently switched to Paxil because I don't feel that the Prozac is as effective as it once was. I'd really like to get off the Paxil, but it seems that I've taken meds for so long, it's scarey to think of not taking anything. I struck by how many peole posting on this site have depression/anxiety and wonder if maybe it is the meds we take. Just a thought.
Sarah
sarah

Postby reneeintx on April 15th, 2003, 10:38 am

Kim~ that's great that zoloft helps you. I think whatever works is what we need. I guess we all need to keep trying different ways to help. It's like pulling the arm of a slot machine... one day we will win the jackpot :wink:

Sarah~ I've read the body can delvelop an immunity to SSRI's over time. I feel prozac is not working like it used to. I believe this is my time to jump off the anit-depressant train. At least try.. if it doesn't work I will ride it again.

Good luck to both of you

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

prozac and twitching

Postby Renae on April 23rd, 2003, 8:52 am

Hi Renee-

I had been taking Prozac for about a year and a half when my twitching began. Prior to that I had taken a few different anti-depressants. When I started going to see different doctors and having tests trying to figure out why I was twitching and having other symptoms (like pins & needles in my arms & legs, occasional numbness elsewhere, and some weak or achy feelings in my legs) my Psychiatrist finally said to me, "oh, Prozac can cause twitching". He knew I had been going for all these tests and waited like 2 months to finally tell me that. Anyway, so we decided that it would be a good idea for me to stop the Prozac just to rule that out as a possibility. I stopped it in Dec. '02 and the pins & needles and other symptoms seemed to get much better and the twitching eventually decreased. Now, I really have no idea if there is a correlation. It could just be coincidence or me thinking it was a "cure"! Because the neurologist, my pcp, and my psychiatrist all thought it very possible that most of this has been anxiety related since I had a clean MRI and EMG. So, now I do still get twitching but not like I was before. I think its probably just coincidence, but who knows??? It's all a mystery to me??? I just thought I'd share!

Hope all is well!!
Renae :D
Renae

Great name Renae

Postby reneeintx on April 23rd, 2003, 12:11 pm

Hey Renae...liking that name. I love the way it's spelled :)

I'm slowly weaning off the prozac. I'm down to 4 a week now. Some people have said they've experienced withdrawl symptoms but I haven't..at least not yet.

I'm tired of taking drugs. I have to take synthroid for a thyroid problem. The doc's have told me a screwed up thyriod can cause twitching on top of the prozac. I don't know which is causing the problem..if either one... but I'm pitching the prozac since I can't stop synthroid. I'll have to take it the rest of my life :cry:

I glad your twitching has decreased :) Mine has also. Don't know if it's because of decreasing prozac, a change in the dosage of snythroid or just not being so nervous. It's anyone's guess. The fact is I still twitch and it hasn't completely stopped. I talked to my sister that's an RN and she told me sometimes after taking certain drugs they can permanently harm our systems. Maybe I'm damaged from prozac. Who knows what these drugs due to us over time? Better late than never :)

Nice to read a sucess story!

Renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarah on April 23rd, 2003, 5:52 pm

Renee,
I'm interested in your thyroid meds - I also have a screwed up thryoid and have gone from hypo to hyper. I don't have a thyroid (thyroid cancer in 1977) so I'm totally dependant on the meds. Long story short, I took Levoxly .175 for years. In October 2001, my perscription got mixed up and I took .3 for a full year without realizing it. My Dr. finally caught the mistake and in September started me out at .05, gradually increasing it until finally putting me back on my old dose (.175) the end of December. I really thought the twitching was caused by being hyperthyroid, but I'm still twitching. Maybe it takes a while for your body to adjust to the new dosage, or maybe it's the Prozac - who knows?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Sarah[/quote]
sarah

SSRI

Postby Rich Longer on April 24th, 2003, 1:34 am

I was given an SSRI - I can't remember the name now - it made the twitching so much worse and didn't really make me feel any better. I stopped it along with all other medications. I am sure SSRIs can make twitching much worse. Maybe they can cause it as well.
Rich
Rich Longer

LONG...I APOLOGIZE

Postby reneeintx on April 24th, 2003, 12:26 pm

Sarah I'm so sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer. :( I would imagine you have to take a high dosage of med's to compensate for the loss of your thyroid. That stinkx they gave you the wrong dosage.

I'm as stumped about this as you are. I had been on (.05) synthroid since June 00. Everything was fine until December 02. My left eye started twitching then after Christmas all over twitching started. I went to see GP and she did a blood test and found out I went from Hypo to Hyper. She said that's whats causing the twitching. I wanted to see a neuro after looking up "muscle twitching on the internet...ALS. He did an emg(clean) for ME so I would calm down. He believes the synthroid is the problem. My dosage was cut in half. Well I must say the twitching has decreased but not totally. The neuro mentioned the prozac I was on and said it could be the cause too. He said even the two put together might be the problem. He's very against mixing different med's together(unless absolutely necessary..He asked me if I was suicidal..I'm not).

What I'm wondering is should I make an appointment to see an endocrinologist? I've been taking the new dosage for 3 1/2 months and the twitching is still here.

The neuro did say that the twitching could be with me the rest of my life or could stop any day. Everyday I wonder if (I) messed up my body taking SSRI'S for so long. I've read that people are only supposed to take them as a temporary fix. I don't think 9 years is temporary.

One more thing the neuro said that getting the right dosage for the thyroid is a delicate balance. He said sometimes it can take a year for the body to adapt to a different dose.

What about that med called armour thyroid? Have you heard about it? Maybe the natural one is better than the synthetic? That's why I was thinking about an endocrinologist.

I'm so confused??? Just a thought here...but it seems SSRI's have only become popular in the last 15 years or so right? maybe we are the guinea pigs of long term use. Doctors wouldn't know the long term side effect til now?? such as twitching as a permanant side effect. :(

I hope I didn't upset you by this post. My mind is just grasping for answers.

over and out,
Renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby reneeintx on April 24th, 2003, 12:39 pm

Rich,

I wish I would've know then what I know now. Med's don't cure everything. I was 29 back when I started taking prozac and I wished I never did. I should've gone to counseling about depression. Back then I believed that there was a "magic pill" for everything, now I know better. Doctors are so happy to pass out pills like they're m&m's. Well they're not candy, they can destroy a healthy system and we shouldn't be taking anything except absolutley necessary. You were smart to quit them. Now if you were suicidal that's a different story.

I feel sorry for people that get trapped in the diet dilemma. Take this pill, drink this and you'll lose weight... BULL!!! I used to weigh 160 lbs at 5'8 now I'm 135lbs and I did it by healthy eating and excersize..NO PILLS OR DRINKS.

I hope you're not thinking..who is this crazy person??? I'm just wanting to say, GOOD FOR YOU!!for throwing away that garbage.

Just blowin' off some steam

Renee :)
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group