emg was fine!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

emg was fine!

Postby 25 on March 11th, 2003, 10:23 am

Today was almost the worst day in my life (so far). I had my emg and the neuro which performed it was neither friendly nor informative. I thought for sure he saw something and was hiding it (didn't want to tell me, wanted my dr to tell me). As he did the testing, I was shaking so badly, I thought I would have the biggest panic attack ever! Amazingly enough, my gp received the results the same (which I saw as another bad sign). They were fine except they found carpal tunnel in my hand!!!!!!!!! I am so relieved, I cried and cried. Today I feel very weak, my legs and arms. I feel like something ran over me, I can hardly walk. Stress and anxiety maybe? I still need to get an mri done (aft my ins approves it), and I pray to God that one is ok too. I continue to twitch all over (especially my legs)......Should I relax now?? How come I've read about numerous people having more than one emg done?

Postby Nole on March 11th, 2003, 10:53 am

Trust the docs you are FINE!! It seems like you are suffering from anxiety though and this is something you need to address and find a way to relieve before you will ever start feeling better. It was great news you got today be happy about that!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Hi

Postby reneeintx on March 11th, 2003, 12:01 pm

Hi 25,
I felt the same way after my emg. I felt like my legs were going to give out while walking back to my car. The next day I felt like I ran a marathon. :shock:
It seems some doctors are less chatty than others. While my emg was being performed he talked about everything as he was doing it. He put the needle in and would say, it's fine, this is fine.. it was so reassuring. If your doctor had talked to you more it would've helped you from being so frightened. Oh well. that's probably the way he does things.

Sounds like everything went well, except for carpal tunnel. But you can deal with that :wink: I'm sure the MRI will be fine.

I'm very twitchy in my legs and feet too!
I don't know why people get multiple emg's. Maybe someone can give us an answer.

Best Wishes,
renee
reneeintx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on March 12th, 2003, 10:48 pm

Congrats on your appt!!

To answer your question why people have multiple EMGs, I can tell you that it is not for the fun of being poked with those needles! This may sound crazy but I had EMG tests done 3 different times by three different neurologists in the span of about 3 months! I know it sounds crazy but I was a real basket case and needed answers. I also saw a number of other doctors to try to solve the mystery (GP, orthopedic, psychologist, etc.). I guess I really wanted answers and I was relentless. Looking back I see how silly I was, but at the time I was completely depressed, was a zombie from insomnia and was going out of my mind. I guess the tests were un-necessary physically but they helped give me piece of mind. Besides, I really though I should get some value out of having health insurance!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group