Effect of exercise?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Effect of exercise?

Postby lbeth on March 3rd, 2003, 6:17 pm

I've read in multiple places on this site that people with BFS who exercise usually worsen their twitching symptoms. My experience seems just the opposite--usually my muscles feel calmer for a few hours after exercising. Just wondering if this has any implications regarding the likelihood that I have BFS versus something else.
lbeth

Postby Davidd on March 4th, 2003, 10:43 pm

That's great that your muscles feel calmer after you exercise. I am just the opposite...after I run or lift weights, my calves twitch like crazy for maybe 30 to 60 minutes before settling down. It's like fireworks for awhile. I also find that certain excercises at the gym make the twitching worse; for example, when I use the back machine (basically sit and lean back), I find that the twitching increases a lot until I get off the machine and start to walk again. This could be related to the compressed discs I have in my spine, but then again, who knows?!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarah on March 5th, 2003, 12:53 pm

I also find that exercise makes my calves twitch more. When I get back from jogging they twitch like crazy, but after 1/2 hour or so they settle down to the "normal" twitching.
sarah

Re: Effect of exercise?

Postby osbormd on March 5th, 2003, 9:16 pm

lbeth wrote:I've read in multiple places on this site that people with BFS who exercise usually worsen their twitching symptoms. My experience seems just the opposite--usually my muscles feel calmer for a few hours after exercising. Just wondering if this has any implications regarding the likelihood that I have BFS versus something else.

How long have you been twitching? Just curious. I think the first few months, I was the same way. Or at least, I was so happy that I could still run mile(s), I didn't notice the twitches when I finished.

Now it seems mine get a bit worse after excercise, but I haven't yet really looked at them latetly after excercise.

Mike
osbormd

Postby Davidd on March 5th, 2003, 10:04 pm

Mike--

If you can avoid looking at your calves after you exercise then more power to you! I almost can't help looking because it feels like popcorn going off in my calves. It does settle down after some time, but immediately after I finish exercising the twitches increase dramatically.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on March 10th, 2003, 4:31 pm

lbeth, to answer your question, not all people with BFs have exercise intolerance and there are some people that have posted that exewrcise helps calm their twitches, just like you.

I, along with many other's, am just the opposite, if I even think of exercising, my body starts tremoring, twitching and aching, so I just don;t go there. Good for me because I am the laziest SOB on the panet anyway, so it suits me just fine. I'd MUCH rather lay around doing nothing than break a sweat at some gym. "Feel the burn" they say? Hell with that! Feel the relaxation! That's MY motto. They say, "no pain, no gain"... yeah right. If I need something strenuous done, I hire some meat head to do it for me, and while THEY are breaking a sweat, I just sit back and relax. Ha-ha-ha! Seriously though... if something helps your BFS, do it! If something aggrivates it, don't do that anymore. Everyone is different and what works for one person, might not work for someone else... You have to do what works for YOU my girl :-)
Arron

Postby Davidd on March 10th, 2003, 8:58 pm

Aaron--

Is there any type if exercise that you can do at all without facing those symptoms? It was hard to tell if you were being serious or sarcastic in that message. Do you find walking to aggravate your symptoms also?

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

No twitching after exercise

Postby Souris on March 14th, 2003, 6:59 am

Hi,

I also experience what lbeth describes. After exercising, my muscles don't twitch or at least a lot less than usually.
It feels like a good work-out calms down the over-excitability.
It also strikes me that we are the exact opposite to most BFS'ers in that particular point.
Strange thing, this BFS.

Souris
Souris

No twitching after exercise

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group