A thought for us all, get busy with your lives and forget BF

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

A thought for us all, get busy with your lives and forget BF

Postby Rioja on February 1st, 2003, 2:50 pm

Like many people here I've been through the tunnel of doom dispair and depression and being completley focused on BFS. I've had symptoms on and off now for the last 12 years. Mine started with a bout of optic neuritis (which really is something nasty to worry about) which my Dr stupidly at the time told me could lead to MS. He popped this line into me two months before I was to be married, a monthh before graduating and just to show how much stress I was under I thought choosing to buy my first house at the same time would be a good idea! It was only after long periods of anxiety and dispair did all the intense twitching start. I wasted probably in total two years of my life worrying about the what ifs. Here i am 12 years later, I still play squash, golf, I box and am extremely fit. Yeah I still get the odd symptom and big bouts of twitching, but the reason why I write this post is to share my day. I was so wrapped up in my children, my life my wife and all the good stuff I didn't notice a thing.
My tip to you all, get busy with your lives, if you obsess about this I beleive you feed it. As Dave mentions I do beleive there is a physical cause but boy can we make it worse! God bless you all, remember everyday that you just focus on these annoying little BENIGN SYMPTOMS is a day of your life that you have waster and will never get back, so stop thinking and start living! (sounds like a title from one of those positve mental attitude books)
cheers all
Max :lol:
Its tough, but always try and look on the bright side. this condition is after all benign, it could be a lot lot worse :)
Rioja
Interested
Interested

Postby SusanSid on February 1st, 2003, 4:44 pm

Rioja,
What a lovely post you sent to us all. It's always great to hear someone who is a long time BFSer. You're right, the obsession of the condition is all consuming, if we allow it to be. I have to fight the fear as many of us do more than I'd like to admit.
This website has been a great place to keep my perspective. You stress an important point that we can literally waste months or years of our life by worrying about the "what ifs".
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on February 1st, 2003, 7:13 pm

I completely agree with what Susan said. Thank you very much for that msg! It took me several months, but I am at the point now where I can go for a better part of the day without even thinking about the twitches...I'd even say that overall, about 80% of the time when I do feel the twitches they don't bother me...it's the other 20% of the time that I am still trying to get over. But, I have faith!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on February 3rd, 2003, 2:33 pm

This is very true. Get on with your life and stop obsessing. It has been a year now for me and for months now I cant tell you when I twitch or even if I twitch any more. I just dont think about it, when it happens I dont care or even notice them anymore. I have learned to put my mind at ease and have learned to give myself time to relax everyday. Just last night I thought to myself, I dont think I have twitched in over a week or longer, it just shows you how powerfuk the mind is. The more I talked about it or thought about the wosre they got. But believe me you all can have a very productive life free of fear of the unknown if you just allow yourself time and positive mental reinforcement. I am proof that they can stop or at least get much better, keep the faith, stay positive, keep your mind positive and healthy, and remember we are here when you need us.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on February 3rd, 2003, 9:31 pm

Nole--

Well said. It is nice to be part of a community that shares the same troubles. Too bad it's only on-line but perhaps one day there might be an actual support group! I work in NYC and have looked around here and there for a BFS support group of sorts but have had no luck in finding one...so for now, the internet works just fine!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Nice one Nole

Postby Rioja on February 4th, 2003, 10:01 am

I so agree with NOLE. Its been a learning curve, I used to wake up in the morning and say there are those blasted twitches, focus and obsess on them and they get worse and worse. Now its F them! The thing is though we all have to go through our own learning curve to reach that point of acceptance. Hopefully this site can help people accelerate that process by learning from others mistakes. First thing I saw on TV today was Christopher Reeve, now there's a bloke with balls and a lesson to everyone :roll:
Its tough, but always try and look on the bright side. this condition is after all benign, it could be a lot lot worse :)
Rioja
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on February 4th, 2003, 6:32 pm

Rioja-

Very well put. As much as I hated the *beep* twitches I must say they taught me alot about myself. I am alot stronger than I thought I was, I realize that things can get better, and the most important thing I learned was how powerful the mind is and how to control it. Life is going to be stressful but I was never the type of person that allowed myself any down time, I thought I had to do it all, be the best, think all of the time. I have realized that is ok and normal to feel like crap somedays, but it does not mean I am dying of some unknown illness. It has also showed me how my body reacts to things, I need to make sure I find time for myself. I feel that everything happens for a reason, and maybe this is the reason the twitches started with me, who knows, all I know is that i am enjoying life so much more, I love helping others on this site, I love thinking positively now (this makes a world of difference) and I love the fact that I know it is OK to take a day for myself and that it is OK to relax. In return my body is thanking me by twitching less, ALOT LESS. They may return, who knows, but I know I can get through it. Best of luck to you all, I know you all can find peace and happiness (with or without the twitches) in your lives.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kim on February 6th, 2003, 7:27 pm

With everyone's support here, I am sure it will be no time at all before we all can just accept our twitches as just a part of us. It's who we are, and they will help to shape our lives and make us stronger. We don't have to like it, but we must make the best of it and of our lives! Only we can chose how we live. I, for one, am choosing to be happy, live life to the fullest and move on.

I still love coming to this board, seeing others progress, and know that I'm not alone.

Thanks everyone for being so supportive!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on February 7th, 2003, 6:48 pm

I agree with Kim. It's not as though I am glad any of you have twitches but I am glad that there are other people out there who do so that I dont feel completely alone. So often when I tell someone about the twitches they think that it is nothing and to just ignore it! They cannot understand...which is why this board is so important. So, thank you to everyone!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on February 7th, 2003, 8:37 pm

I agree David it is soo nice to come to this site for support and realize you are not alone. When I try and talk about it with others they think im making it up or crazy. We can all understand each other and it eases your mind knowing that we are all still alive and can live our lives even with the twitches. This site is what started my recovery of obssessive thinkibg and eased my mind more than any doctor ever could.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Mark on February 26th, 2003, 8:51 pm

Rioja/Max,

Great post! I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm a new member who's seeing the neurologist for the first time tomorrow and assuming I don't have anything worse than BFS, I can live with it -- literally. SOme of the other possiblities, you can't. Irritating as these twitches are, they are really just an annoyance, not an impediment.

Susan, David, Kim and Nole,

It was good to read all of your contributions on this site as well. Good luck with everything.

Mark
Mark

Postby Davidd on February 26th, 2003, 10:33 pm

I know that I have my ups and downs with the twitching. Sometimes I am in a great mood and dont even notice the twitches and then other times I am depressed because I have these ridiculous twitches. When these moments occur, it takes a lot of courage to pull myself out of it but I am luckily able to do it...I hope that everyone here can do the same. One thing I try to remember is that the twitches are not painful and that living with constant pain is far worse than living with constant twitching...I guess I just try to look on the bright side when everything seems so glum at times.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby izzie on February 27th, 2003, 6:23 pm

Hi Everyone,
It is so good to read all the positive comments, we all need support some of the time. I take great comfort from the words of encouragement and all the sharing of experiences on this site.
I so agree that getting out there and doing stuff with other people is good. I really find that I can forget or ignore or maybe not even have any twitching or cramping when I am having fun or I am busy with something I enjoy. There is definetely hope. I firmly believe that relaxing by whatever means reduces the symptoms. I try to worry less about the small things.
Lets just remind ourselves that we are lucky to be alive and able to enjoy this amazing world.
Keep up the good work and thanks
Izzie
izzie
izzie
Interested
Interested

Postby Nole on February 27th, 2003, 8:04 pm

Nicely said Izzy. Life is to short to stress all of the time. Find time for yourself, do what keeps your mind off of the twitching and enjoy it. We are all going to be fine. These twitches are nothing to what others have, we should be thankful for that. I still feel great after all these months, once I realized I was going to be OK it has been a positive turn around for me both mentally and physically. Keep being positive.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group