Should I be concerned?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Should I be concerned?

Postby Krissy1028 on January 7th, 2003, 2:00 am

Hi all! I just registered here and wanted to ask a few questions and let you know what's been going on with my muscles. I am only 18 years old and have been having muscle fasciculations for a while now. I'm not sure exactly for how long, but it may have been for about 2 years now. Anyway, is it normal for an 18 year old to have BFS? I haven't been to the doctor about them, but I have read information about BFS and it sounds like something I may have. I have a fasciculations almost everyday in at least one set of muscles. I have had them happened in many places, my legs, arms, back, neck. I have even had some finger twitching which usually includes my middle right finger. I have recently been having this strange sensation on the top of my hand, almost like a tickling feeling, but it has only happened a few times. Another experience I have had was after I finished exercising. I use to go walking with my parents in the evening and then I would come home and have fasciculations all over my legs. It was crazy! They would go away after a few minutes. I quit walking for a while and then started my own "program" where I would jog for about 15 minutes and then move on to dancing to some music and finish out with lifting weights and doing crunches. What's weird is that I didn't have a problem with my legs after I finished. Strange that my muscles would be fine after a jog but went wild after walking. Anyway, that's how my muscles have been for the last few years. Does this sound like BFS? Does age matter?
Krissy1028

should I be concerned

Postby kim on January 7th, 2003, 8:02 pm

Hi Kris!

It sounds like it could be BFS, but I'm no doctor. If you read some of the other posts, a few people here have had bfs since they were kids, so I don't think 18 is too young to get it. They key is to first get the dx, and then move on. If you don't stress over it, it seems to be so much less prevelant, and may actually go away if you keep dismissing it.

I hope this helps.

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DogBone on January 8th, 2003, 11:30 am

Kris,

Age does not matter with BFS and that is the whole beauty of it. As a matter of fact - It appears that people with BFS are typically younger than those with other more serious problems. However, your case does sound like BFS, but a very light case of it. Most people out here could never dream of writing about twitching "almost everyday" Most of us out here from what I experience and have read from others is that we twitch nearly every minute. So, it sounds like you have it easy in any case. From everything you reported, I do not believe there is another diagnosis to expect. Yes - I would like to be one of the first to welcome you to our club.
DogBone
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on January 8th, 2003, 12:08 pm

Hi Krissy, I can tell you that nothing you described sounds anything like ALS at all, BUT it does sound everything like BFS. Also, if it were anything bad, after 2 years of it, there is no doubt that you would be having some other major symptoms going on. Fasciculations are not a major symptom.

Twitching after exercise (walking) is completely normal and very common in BFS and is not like what ALS is at all. Also, age isn't a factor with BFS at all, BUT age IS a factor, (especially an 18 year old) with ALS. It is so rare in young people, it is hard to imagine.

Don't stop going for walks with your folks because you twitch afterwards. I can flex just about any muscle and it will twitch right after. It is normal for BFS'ers to do that and being that it isn't bad, doesn't hurt or anything like that, you shouldn't stop spending time with your folks by going for walks and enjoying yourself, OK? Don't let a BENIGN thing dictate your life and take away the nice things that you like to do, OK? Hang in there, you're fine :)
Arron

Thanks

Postby Krissy1028 on January 8th, 2003, 12:36 pm

I wanted to thank everyone that has posted a reply and given their support. Thanks for answering my questions and thanks for having such a great site!
Krissy1028

Thanks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group