An EMG at last

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

An EMG at last

Postby tlotoxl on January 5th, 2003, 9:49 pm

So I came home (to Canada, from Japan) for Christmas and decided to see an English-speaking neurologist while I had the chance. The man was very professional and although I had written a list of symptoms so that I wouldn't forget anything, his questions dragged all the info out of me anyway (well, all except the ocular migraine which I brought up).

Then I had an EMG, which was frustrating because that day I had almost no twitches and it was only on my calves and in the fleshy bit of my thumbs that he eventually found some. He said there was no sign of degeneration or wasting, and that he could confidently rule out ALS and diagnose my condition as benign fasciculations.

Keen to set my other late-night worst fears to rest, though I wasn't really worrying much at the time, I said, "But I feel my hands also feel unsteady -- they sometimes shake when I'm emailing on my phone -- should I worry about something like Parkinson's?"

"No," he warmly replied, "that sounds like it might be essential tremor. Essential tremor is very common, is often hereditary, and will affect you when you are moving your muscles but disappear when you are at rest, whereas Parkinson appears at rest."

"What about Lyme's disease or MS?"

"Lyme's disease would tend to be concentrated in one place and I would have expected to see something with the EMG," he reassured me, "and the movement from spasticity in MS is quite different."

There might have been more to my visit with the neurologist, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head, reproduced to the best of my abilities.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on January 5th, 2003, 11:42 pm

FANTASTIC tlotoxl!!!! :lol: Great to hear you are doing fine and had a great neuro visit. Your post has lots of useful and positive information that other readers can use and relate to. Thanks for coming back and filling us all in. It really helps in more ways than one. :)
Arron

Postby jblack on January 11th, 2003, 7:12 pm

Nice one, difficult-to-spell friend-from-japan. Congrats, sounds like your doctor was a pro. Nice to hear.
jblack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group