New twitcher checking in

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New twitcher checking in

Postby uk_paul on January 2nd, 2003, 3:08 am

Hi, My name is Paul, a 37 year old father of two living in Surrey, England.

Since about August last year I have been experiencing a twitch in my left eyelid. A couple of weeks before Christmas, looking on the internet I worried myself finding that it may be a symptom of MND (ALS) or MS. I immediately booked a doctors appointment, and was told it may be due to stress and too much caffeine.

I spent most of the Christmas period very worried that it was more serious than this. I also have started experiencing twitching in my other eye (although strangely my first eye has almost stopped completely), constant twitching in my right leg (especially calves), random twitches in various places (thigh, arm, lips, hip) and a sort of tingling under my eyes.

The twitching in my leg is difficult to describe. It is more a tingling as though a constant small electrical current is passing though my calves.

Anyway, today I came across a couple of forums, including this one, which have given me some reassurance. I don't think I have any other symptoms such as muscle weakness, and am still able to go running, etc. So I am hopeful that what I have is BFS.

regards and hopefully a Happy New Year to us all.

Paul
uk_paul

Postby Arron on January 2nd, 2003, 10:43 pm

Hang in there Paul, nothing you mentioned sounds anything like ALS what so ever. It certainly wouldn't start in an eye lid, twitch or a while, then stop and start in the other eye lid. ALS twitches continue until the muscle is rendered useless and it migrates forward and outward from there. Not here today, gone tomorrow and in random spots. ALS doesn't work that way.

I can't say whether yours is or isn't stress related, but it most likely is, just like your doctor said. The BEST thing you can do is read as much as possible on THIS web site and learn what other people have and take note that NONE of them (us) have "developed" any NMD's. For some reason, our bodies have just decided to start twitching, tremoring, aching and have become intolerant to stress and/or exertion, such as "exercise intolerance". Don't let the twitches get to you. They'll come and they'll go and in some people, they run their course and disappear, while in other people (like myself), they just cycle with good days and bad days.. no big deal.. we can live with it. Please don;t worry about something you don;t have, such as ALS, OK? Have a good one!
Arron

Postby Nole on January 3rd, 2003, 7:25 pm

Dont worry, my twithes started with an eyelid twitch also after a virus and soem stress in my life. The most important thing to d is to start and let your body relax, this will take time, but find something to get your mind off of them and get your body to settle. It took me a good 3 months to get my body to stop worrying but with time it did and I make relaxation and time for myself a MUST everyday, even if it is only 10 min. a day. Without it I tend to keep it in and the twitches start to go haywire. I am almost completly twitch free, which is a huge accomplishment from 8 months ago. Find what works for you, but remember it is HIGHLY unlikely you have ALS or any other nmd. It sounds like you have the classic BFS symptoms, learn to deal with them, live your life, think happy thoughts, relax, and go live the life you deserv to have. Dont waste today worrying about tomorrow because today is the here and now, live in the here and now and be happy.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

new twitcher checking in

Postby kim on January 5th, 2003, 8:13 pm

Hi Paul!

I'm a 39 year old mother who's twitching started in my left eye last July, then the full body twitches came, and then the twitch migrated from myright eye to the left in October. Eye twitches stopped in late November, but body twitches still there. I have more good than bad days. Since I've been on anti-depressants. I have always been an obsessor when it came to my health, so imagine my hysteria when I read twitching was related to ALS!!!!!!!! This site has been a godsend, and I don't worry about them at all any more. I don't like them, but I know I'll be fine! You will too!

Hope your're twitches are gone soon.

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissie50 on January 10th, 2003, 5:45 pm

Hi Paul

I agree with those who have already responded to you, that the best thing to do is to keep using sites like this to get advice. I was diagnosed last year, after looking on sites like this I then went to my GP who arranged for me to see a neurologist in the UK. I am interested in what others in the UK have been prescribed to alleviate their symptoms. Have you been offered any thing to help? I only find it really annoying when I am relaxing, but it does keep me awake a bit sometimes, so am considering whether it is worth trying something.
chrissie50

Postby SoJerseyMom on January 20th, 2003, 12:14 pm

I'm glad to hear others have the eye twitch! My problems started in the calf muscles. The eyelid twitching developed recently and it is very annoying.

Paul, it sounds like classic BFS and like most of us you'll probably find it improves when you stop worrying so much. I also have those little "electric shock" feelings, by the way.
SoJerseyMom

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group