Update - Last Post 2011 - Still Have BFS - Arm Discomfort

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Update - Last Post 2011 - Still Have BFS - Arm Discomfort

Postby john989 on January 18th, 2016, 1:49 am

Hi All,

Hope you are all doing as well as possible. I last posted in Dec 2011. At that time I had just started having twitching systems 6 months or so beforehand. Head, calves, arms etc. My first thought wasn't MND but I figured it would be bright to see a doctor because the twitching was so annoying it was impacting sleep. The neuro did bloodwork and an EMG in Dec 2011 and both were normal.

I accepted the BFS diagnosis and I wasn't very anxious anymore but boy has it been a pain since 2011. It has not stopped, not one day since 2011. All over my body it happens every day.

I have gotten used to it mostly but it wakes me up in my sleep sometimes if it occurs in my temples.

One new thing I'm concerned about is I have a dull pain/cramping in my right arm only and it seems to have come out of nowhere. I have also had pins and needles feeling off and on in my hand. It hasn't gone away.

I don't think this sounds like a complication of BFS, especially since my arms are not the most common place for twitching. It's 95% calves and head these days.

I'm assuming it's also unlikely for MND or other neurophysio disorders as well and from what I've read would you agree? It didn't start in my hands it's just my arm. I think with MND pins and needles doesn't really happen and it usually starts distally. I don't know why but I keep thinking BFS has a link to something more that we just don't know about and random arm weakness might be tied in. I'm sure many of you have thought the same. We just don't have much info about this order and it's hard to know whah the normal is.
john989

Re: Update - Last Post 2011 - Still Have BFS - Arm Discomfor

Postby emmie.s on January 26th, 2016, 11:57 am

I'm assuming it's also unlikely for MND or other neurophysio disorders as well and from what I've read would you agree? It didn't start in my hands it's just my arm. I think with MND pins and needles doesn't really happen and it usually starts distally. I don't know why but I keep thinking BFS has a link to something more that we just don't know about and random arm weakness might be tied in. I'm sure many of you have thought the same. We just don't have much info about this order and it's hard to know whah the normal is.

Exactly. Not MND. If you have pain plus paresthesia, that points away from MND. It is likely a nerve issue, maybe stemming from one of your disks, a carpal tunnel entrapment, or even your rotator cuff. Try some ibuprofen for the inflammation (you didnt say there was any but I bet there is a small amount, hence the discomfort) and if it doesnt go away, maybe see if the neuro can to a nerve test to pinpoint what nerve you injured.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby German2 on January 27th, 2016, 8:32 am

Dear John,

with me it even started with discomfort in my left arm. It went weak, and then the twitchting started mostly in calf and feet. I am 2 and a half year into it. My arm went better for more than a year, but now is worse then ever. Atrophied (approved by some neuro and some not), falling asleep almost every night (meanwhile both of my arms do..) and hurting very much sometime. Especially the tissue on top of lower arms. After a massage it is hard to bear. Arms went weak from time to time. Esp. when pain level is high....My muscles do not cramp but are like a hard casing. Even around my throat. So that air comes difficult into it sometime. Swallowling get stuck sometime. But I have that since 2 years from time to time. And now it does not go away...not very comfortable I swear...

No clue what it is...I expect it to be inflammatory for cortisone helps...You'll find others with strange things going on in arms. I do not have the bfs diagnosis for twitching is not very intense with me...but I do twitch. Not like hell, but it is part of the picture...So I don't have a clever answer, too.But MND was excluded after 2 years of symptoms and still no clinical weakness.
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group