My 2+year update.

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My 2+year update.

Postby Adamk on August 11th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Here is a little history on my time with bfs.

April 15th 2013 twitching started at 10pm eastern time. Had little sleep and was stressed out from travel on plane. Symptoms continued for about 3 months

Dr's said we don't know and shrugged their shoulders. Threw gobs of pills at me and told me good.luck sucker.

July 2013 went gluten free diet.
Symptoms waxed an waned for a year.

July 2014 got off ambient and trazodone
Symptoms got better still but had ocasional issues got back on gluten.

June 2015 divorce pending, heavy stress started again. Drinking alcohol again. Twitching ok but got a little worse.

August 2015 leg twitched for a few days, really bothered je. Heavy amounts of stress from home sale. Lots of drinking the week before.

I tosay still get twitches however they are nowhere near as severe as they once were. Stress seems to be a main trigger as I have ruled out gluten and exercise as triggers after much experimentation. I am actually dealing with a twitch in my left upper leg right now that has been going on for a few days. I am hopeful that eventually I can eliminate them completely with time. Things that help me are stress relief and time. That's the crappiest part is the waiting to get better. I still get really depressed when I have these bouts woch seem to come.on every4-5 weeks now not every day. So it's better but not gone. My wife devorced me because of this condition and that has really sent me in a emotional spiral but I am trying to stay strong. Anyways I don't go on here much becuase I try not t focus on this crap to much even when it's happens. Good luck to all you twitches out there!
Adamk

Re: My 2+year update.

Postby emmie.s on August 11th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Adamk wrote:Here is a little history on my time with bfs.
I am actually dealing with a twitch in my left upper leg right now that has been going on for a few days. I am hopeful that eventually I can eliminate them completely with time. Things that help me are stress relief and time. That's the crappiest part is the waiting to get better. I still get really depressed when I have these bouts woch seem to come.on every4-5 weeks now not every day. So it's better but not gone. My wife devorced me because of this condition and that has really sent me in a emotional spiral but I am trying to stay strong. Anyways I don't go on here much becuase I try not t focus on this crap to much even when it's happens. Good luck to all you twitches out there!

First of all I am so sorry to hear that your wife divorced you because of this!!! This really upsets me. BFS is a real disorder that you can't control, and although it is COMPLETELY BENIGN in terms of the medical aspect of it, the mental anxiety, worry and paranoia that often accompany it are not. Just as if someone were bipolar or suffered with OCD, you really can't help it and just have to work through it on your own time. I hope you're not too hard on yourself.

Secondly, and I hate to say this but I have been dealing with twitches for years and years now, so the truth is that there is a strong likelihood that you will always twitch to some extent. The sooner you can accept that, the better off you will be. You are on the right path when you say you are trying "not to focus on this crap"...in time you will ignore it just as you ignore your heartbeat or your own breathing. Today I noticed that one of my toes was twitching, and I thought "hmm, that is the same darn toe that was twitching last month, I guess it hasn't stopped" then I went on with my life. In the past I wouldve timed the twitches, stared at it, did stupid a$s toe strength tests on it, prayed over it, you get the picture. Granted, the annoying ones (like tongue and big muscle ones) are harder to ignore like that, but I just accept them a lot more now.

Thank you for sharing your update!!! Happy twitch-aversary, and I hope you stay strong!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Xina535 on August 12th, 2015, 6:08 am

I too am upset about your divorce. I also hope you are not too hard on yourself. I personally feel that marriage is really through thick and thing, good and bad, SICKNESS and health, whatever sickness that may be. I hope this is an opportunity for you to find someone else who will be your true partner to stick through, no matter what!

One thing about the alcohol - you mentioned you went on gluten free, but could you go on alcohol (and maybe also caffeine) free? If not, then I would recommend that you drink tons of water to help flush the alcohol out, as that and coffee dehydrates you and twitching gets worse when you are dehydrated.

You have been twitching longer than I have, and I will say "congrats" to that! You have no clinical weakness after 2 years of twitching, so time has been on your side :D

I wish you less stress and all the best for the future.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby leroyb on August 12th, 2015, 12:08 pm

So sad to hear that Adam. Reading the archives it seems BFS has helped destroy many a relationship. I came very close.
leroyb
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group