Cervical MRI on Monday - self pay - tips appreciated

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Cervical MRI on Monday - self pay - tips appreciated

Postby Xina535 on March 23rd, 2015, 3:03 pm

I don't have pain in the hand or wrist, only around the wound when I press on it. And wouldn't the hand and wrist MRI that found the ganglion cyst also have shown wrist level compression if there was one? It only found the cyst and extra joint fluid floating around. Still after the removal, the problem Ive had prior to the surgery continues and gets worse. :cry:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on March 23rd, 2015, 3:21 pm

Doctors should tell you more about whether compression of that type could be revealed on MRI. Maybe USI is more informative...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on March 25th, 2015, 4:37 am

Update from me, for other BFSers (I've PMed Yulia):

I went to my neuro yesterday as a patient without appt. He read the MRI report and is not sure about the herniations causing my right hand problem. He checked strength, reflexes and did nerve conduction on my right arm. All normal, probably why he didnt do an EMG. He felt my muscle and said he sees the shrinking, but does not believe it's muscle atrophy. But he saw how I was grabbing my scarf differently with my right hand than with my left. He said he doesnt think it will be abnormal, but he ordered a brain MRI just to be sure and not over look anything. I thought that was generous of him, seeing as how it is SO HARD here in Germany to get an MRI of anything prescribed to you! The form says "decreased grip in right hand, question of central lesion". So, I'm scared, but I have hopes that it will be normal since I would probably have had lots of other symptoms like obvious reflex change or spasticity, if there was something wrong in my brain.

I still want an EMG of my hand though. I want one of those EMGs that everyone talks about in the US, where they test several areas and it can tell if there is a block from the spine and they get values on a report. I have just gotten EMGs of a single muscle at a time (none in the first dorsal interosseous, which is the questionable one), and was just told it was normal in words/text in a report, no values. I have a neuro appt on the 8-Apr at a different neurologist that I will keep for this reason.

In the meantime, I still have lots of pain in my neck, that goes into my left arm at several times throughout the day, and when I hold my arm up in the air, it feels fatigued like I can't keep it straight or up for long, and right after I rest it, it twitches like crazy in my whole arm and hand for a good 20 minutes. That eventually dies down to the normal occasional twitching. At the private orthopedic tomorrow, I am going to ask for a shot or something. I need some relief here. No pills, TENS unit or heat helps! The MRI said no compression, but that has to be BS, or maybe it isn't compressed when I am laying down, because this pain is coming directly from this area in my neck. At least I hope all of this is coming from my neck......it's the only hope keeping me sane right now.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on March 27th, 2015, 6:30 am

Xina535 wrote:
In the meantime, I still have lots of pain in my neck, that goes into my left arm at several times throughout the day, and when I hold my arm up in the air, it feels fatigued like I can't keep it straight or up for long, and right after I rest it, it twitches like crazy in my whole arm and hand for a good 20 minutes. That eventually dies down to the normal occasional twitching. At the private orthopedic tomorrow, I am going to ask for a shot or something. I need some relief here. No pills, TENS unit or heat helps! The MRI said no compression, but that has to be BS, or maybe it isn't compressed when I am laying down, because this pain is coming directly from this area in my neck. At least I hope all of this is coming from my neck......it's the only hope keeping me sane right now.

Well the orthopedic doctor had a different opinion about the MRI - said FOR SURE my left arm problems are from the two herniations. They are not just bulges, full herniations. He said game plan is to give me shots of pain killers, cortisone and lidocaine to help stabilize the symptoms and then start to strengthen my neck and upper body as soon as I can. He said that the pain will most likely go away first, but the weakness will take awhile to come back. He said he is still not sure what is going on in my right hand, but he said "we do need to get to the bottom of that" - so I finally feel ACKNOWLEDGED and listened to. He said first things first is to get my neck back in order. So far since yesterday, I have less pain and somewhat less twitching. So some improvement, and I'll take it!!!

In the meantime - I am so confused about this right hand and thumb. It seems that the muscle is still there as it always was, but everything around it is sinking in. I performed some exercises for that muscles with rubber bands and the hand gripper, and afterwards, it bulked up and got hard like a rock, so it improved as far as becoming stronger, but no change in the appearance of the sunken in areas around it. I wonder if this really is fat atrophy....but fat atrophy in just ONE area of my body and on top of that, can fat atrophy cause a weakened pinching grip...or atleast a change in sensation of pinching?
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group