choking on saliva

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

choking on saliva

Postby nickston on February 14th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Anyone ever done this while awake? Like to the point you can't breathe for a few seconds? I was just sitting there and swallowed and choked on my saliva. Was coughing and struggling to breathe for about 20 seconds. It was terrifying.

Been having some bad days. I'm so tired of this. I think I'm clinically depressed.

Thanks to anyone who answers.
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: choking on saliva

Postby Yuliasir on February 15th, 2015, 1:24 am

Genrally it happens sometimes to each one of us, I think. If this is not your constant or fairly frequently repeated problem, it is just a chocking episode which happens to everybody while eating, speaking etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on February 16th, 2015, 5:52 pm

It does happen to everyone. It happened to me and. Also aspirated food. And had an esophageal spasm. When that happened I knew for sure I must be crazy. Because anybody with that kind of pain should go to the hospital. That lasted for 1.5 hours. It happened 22 month Ago too. 22 months and then again a couple weeks ago. I then Came down with respiratory symptoms and convinced myself I had pneumonia from aspirating. I thought I was a goner. I thought of not getting the "pneumonia" treated and just die of sepsis. My fever clmbed 101. 102. 103. Family forced me to the doctor. Guess what? No pneumonia. No choking since. But I watch and have seen my husband have something go down the wrong pipe. My therapist recalled to me a time just a couple of days prior where he had swallowed incorrectly. I believe that we are hyper aware. And much of this can also be due to hyper excited nerves. My esophageal spasm happened after having the stomach flu and my esophagus was irritated. This disorder has been depressing no doubt about it.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on February 16th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Just the other morning I drank some tea a bit too quickly and my throat kind of felt like it was super exhausted and cramped up. My husband was standing next to me and said that coincidentally he did the same thing a few days ago with his soda. These sorts of things happen to everyone at some point or another.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby nickston on February 16th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Thank you all. I haven't had any problems since. Hoping it's just one of those things.
nickston
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group