Still a little worried

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Still a little worried

Postby bgr on October 29th, 2014, 10:20 am

Hello everyone!

I'm back after one year, I was actually around all this time reading a lot here, but not posting. And I would like to thank everyone for the support this forum gives.

If anyone wants to read my post from last year, here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19819

During this year my symptoms have changed a little. My arm is not bothering that much anymore, I dont get many many hours of twitching. It still cramps and twitches, specially after having to carry heavy stuff, but not for many hours.
Now I also have random twitches everywhere, but mostly on my left side. I got another hotspot on my left thigh, if I contract my thigh very little it starts to twitch. I'm also feeling small (mild) cramps on my left calf and left thigh. Also feel some little cramp on my cheek (left side only), and sometimes it also twitches, but this mild cramp feeling on my cheek has been almost constant the last month or two. And both my feet are going crazy specially at night. I have that feeling of many worms crawling under my skin, and its easy to see all the activity on my feet. Some pain on my left shoulder and wrist. I also noticed some tremors in a few muscles, only left side.

I'm still worried about my symptoms, so I decided to go back to another neuro. My fear at the time was a little bit on PD, because of the tremors I felt, and for most my symptoms be on my left side (I have twitches on right side too, but little less). After telling my story, he made a complete neurological exam. He found that I have hyperreflexia on my left side only, the most evident was my knee. Nothing else found on this clinical exam, no weekness, or other reflex problem. He asked me to do some blood work, MRI and EMG again.

After the clinical exam, I had to google on hyperreflexia and got scared again. Lots of fear specially because of the hyperreflexia on one side, even here on this forum I read posts saying that hyperreflexia on one side is not good sign. I even called back the neuro about it, but he told me not to worry and to wait for what the exams would tell. I was in panic mode again.

I did all the exams he asked and nothing showed up. Clean MRI, clean EMG (found fasciculations on a few muscles on my left side), and just a little low calcium. Went back to talk to the neuro and as I already knew, he said there is no evidence of anything bad, probably just BFS, he said. I felt better after this talk.

But even after all this, I'm still a little worried, for sure the clean EMG gave me some reassurance that nothing bad is going on, but it is just really hard to move on completely. I think as time goes by, things will get better. Just have to wait. But for now, good news on my exams.

Thanks again for all the support!!
bgr

Re: Still a little worried

Postby dolphin8808 on October 29th, 2014, 2:41 pm

I have the hyperflexia but on both sides. I had no idea what it was or what it meant until I googled and BAM Panic! So I understand. I go for an EMG in a few weeks but until then I am trying to remain calm and just roll with the twitches. I twitch on both sides but mostly in my legs. I've had the eye lid twitch lasts weeks, I also have an inner ear twitch. Crazy right?

I understand the cycle but your clean tests are GREAT news! That means it truly is just BFS. Its hard to believe that something so uncomfortable can be so totally benign but I am finding that it truly can.
dolphin8808

Postby guitarguy11 on October 29th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I have had the eyelid twitch and the inner ear twitch that also came with a weird inside my throat twitch. Those are gone now. I still have a few leg twitches and a few random twitches, but they are much different than they were two to three months ago when I had a ton of anxiety. When my anxiety was at its worst - my symptoms were too. I had myself convinced that I had something sinister. My neuro begged to differ - I did not believe him at first, but as time goes by without weakness I am finally starting to believe. The more I believe, the better my symptoms get. Amazing and weird! The mind is a powerful thing.
guitarguy11

Postby bgr on October 29th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Hi dolphin,
What really scares me now is the asymmetrical hyperreflexia. Everywhere I read about it, usually its not a good thing. Even here on this forum usually when people say that they have hyperreflexia, the answers are that if its on both sides, its ok.
I will try to keep my mind on my clean results for now. But as I said, sometimes its just hard to move on and forget it. I'm still worried.
Hope everything goes alright on your EMG.
bgr

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group