Psychological affects of the BIG fear!?!?!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Psychological affects of the BIG fear!?!?!

Postby Davey0720 on October 27th, 2014, 3:04 pm

This is for everyone with twitching to respond. I find the long term psychological affect of fearing ALS being the most debilitating part I have found with muscle twitching. I have had twitching for 16 months now but still have good days with the fear and bad days. I know my muscle twitching that has lasted over the time of 16 months takes me out of the range of them being related to ALS. I wake up almost everyday checking all my limbs making sure they still work the same as yesterday. Also if there is anything in the news or social media related to ALS it increases my anxiety. I realize my twitching is likely anxiety related but the fear is still there. Anyone with advice in overcoming the fear? I find going from doctor to doctor as feeding the fear not helping solve the mental health problem.
Davey0720
Interested
Interested

Re: Psychological affects of the BIG fear!?!?!

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 27th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Davey0720,

You are very wise to begin making these observations. The first step is to recognize that it is your own mind that you need to focus on rather than all the external distractions that your mind creates. In this realization you can begin to address the root cause of the problem rather than all the secondary manifestations of that problem. Chasing or running from the fears themselves are pointless. Even if you were to conquer one, another will arise to take its place. The real solution is to address the mindset and attitude that is producing the cycle of fear. It's you. It's all you. It has always been you. This is not bad. This is good! It means that all you have to do is learn as much as you can about you and master your own mind.

Learning mental discipline isn't easy. If it were, the word discipline would not be used. It is possible and it is an adventure. There is so much depth to your being that it will amaze you. The part of your mind that is your conscious awareness is such a small fraction of the greater whole. There is a much broader subconscious mind that influences our thoughts, actions, and even our physiological responses without ever entering our awareness (by definition). There is also an unconscious mind. I learned a great deal about the mind and how it works when I took a class to get certified in hypnosis. I have been studying and learning beyond the initial training as well. It is a fascinating subject for me.

The point I want to make is that in order to change the patterns of thinking within your mind it is helpful to first learn about how your mind works. It is also greatly beneficial to learn tools and techniques that are available to help yourself make positive changes for the better. Meditation is great for learning mental discipline, reflecting on what your emotional triggers are and how you respond, as well as calming the stress causing chatter that drives the cycles of fear and worry. Hypnosis is a great tool for exploring the depths of your subconscious mind and rewriting your habitual responses to trigger stimuli. Mentally visualizing a new habit behavior taking place in response to an old fear trigger can and does help you to realize you have a choice the next time it occurs in your waking life.

Repetition mixed with your level of commitment and energy input determine the level of success you experience. There is no magic bullet, one and done technique. The neural pathways of your brain can be rewritten, but you have to want to make positive change and follow through with action. Anyone can do this and the results can be amazing. They were in my life. These are not the only tools at your disposal, but they are among my favorites. Research the subject on your own. Find what works best for you. Take baby steps outside of your comfort zone and do something different. You've been at this for over a year now. By now it should be apparent that nothing will change unless you change your tactics. The same cycles that got you into where you are now will need to be addressed differently than just wanting them to go away. You can do it!
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on October 27th, 2014, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Davey0720 on October 27th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Secretagentman,

Awesome post I think you put it better then anyone I've heard in a long time. I think this goes for most of the people on here with twitching and ALS fears. I've found by talking to more and more people who do not suffer anxiety issues also twitch they just don't put a value to them as being a serious illness precursor. I talked to a guy I work with and he said " I twitch all day so what". With the stress and anxiety we place on our minds and bodies with the fast pace world we live in we are causing more stress than what we are made to have. The fight or flight response is directly related to anxiety and stress. With that it causes tense muscles and with over exposure can cause side effects like twitching. Awesome response my friend hopefully most start seeing this as an anxiety issue not terminally Ill issue.

Thanks again.
Davey0720
Interested
Interested

Postby dolphin8808 on October 28th, 2014, 8:55 am

Oh we def make it worse for ourselves, that is why they say stress can kill, because it becomes so consuming, we stress ourselves out and make ourselves so anxious its just crazy!
dolphin8808

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 28th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Thanks Davey0720. Interestingly I saw this article on moving from wanting to change your life to deciding to change your life and thought it was very interesting. Enjoy!

http://fractalenlightenment.com/30986/l ... -your-life
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group