New here

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New here

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 4:54 am

Hi there, I am new to this forum.... On 8/31 I pinched a nerve in my back which caused severe sciatica and pain in one of my legs. A few days later I developed twitching and spasms in the effected leg but also noticed them in my "good" leg. Since then it has developed to an almost constant twitch somewhere through out my body. Mostly in my legs, all over, calf, thigh, butt etc... But will occasionally get it in my arms, abs, back etc.

I am also a high anxiety person so my mind goes directly to some awful disease. I do have weakness in my 1 leg due to the pinched nerve but have no other weakness (I am a fitness instructor and in the gym 5-6 days a week). I never had trouble with muscle twitching prior to this. I am making an appt with the neurologist as I really need some peace of mind and this keeps me up at night.... I lay in bed waiting to feel the next twitch and then begin panicing.

If I had the reassurance that this was truly simply a nuisance and not a precursor to something sinister I could live with it, but the fear is very real.

Thank you all for listening, Dani :)
dolphin8808

Re: New here

Postby misterjuanperalta on October 22nd, 2014, 5:33 am

Welcome. It's the nerve, which may affect other areas, plus anxiety. Neuro visit a good idea.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 7:04 am

According to both neuros I went to, a pinched nerve can absolutely cause what you're experiencing.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 11:34 am

Thank you all,

So a pinched nerve can cause the twitching not only in the legs but even for the nerves to flair up throughout the body? Its not as severe in the rest of my body as it is in my legs but I do get it there. I also noticed the flair up 2 days after the injury and began taking prednisone.

If I google anymore about ALS or MS I will scream.
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 12:10 pm

That's what I've been told. Some of the twitching could be anxiety related as well. In my case I had all the testing including an MRI on my neck and back and it turns out my back has all sorts of stuff going on from discs to nerves and that's what they are saying is causing all my twitching which has led now to sore muscles. Knowing you had the pinched nerve is very helpful, you probably won't have to go for a bunch of neuro tests. I wonder if the steroid could have that affect as well?
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 12:44 pm

I hope I don't have to be tested like crazy but maybe some basics to put my mind at ease. I did notice the twitching started within 2 days of my injury (which was 2 days out from taking the steroid as well). I have read that at high dosages it can cause twitching, crazy right? Freaked me out. I am going to ask my neurologist about it on Friday.

Have you just gotten used to the twitches and learned to live with them? Or do they still cause you some anxious thoughts?

I am a high strung person, anxiety is a big downfall of mine.
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 12:55 pm

I think it's very likely you won't have to go thru lots of testing. Yours sounds like it's a simple case where you can pinpoint the problem. In my case I still have some confusing results but I'm doing PT per the doctor's recommendation and hoping that will be that.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 1:55 pm

I hope the PT gives you some relief. This back stuff is no joke! The pain from the nerve is tremendous and worse than giving birth! Trust me, I know! Its crazy what the nerves in the body can do and the twitching can be so very consuming. I just had my bicep twitching like crazy for a few seconds.

Mine tend to jump, from calf, to ankle, to thigh, to knee. to butt, to ankle etc.... sometimes I will get twitching in my neck, back, abs, arms... its just so weird, its like the nerves in my body are on ultra sensative mode.
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 3:37 pm

See that's where mine gets tricky. I haven't got any nerve pain. That's why I say yours is easily explainable, mine is not. Can't imagine how nerve and muscle damage in the body comes without pain or injury. Consider yourself lucky, in this case pain is a good way to rule out anything bad!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 7:02 pm

Thank you so much. But you know how sometimes we are walking and you'll stumble - your foot will get stuck in the rubber of your shoe will tread on the floor? Mine did that tonight so I'm convinced that I have weakness.... this was my good leg. So now I am in analyzing my strength and everything I do. I dropped my keys like two weeks ago it was totally convinced I had weakness in my hand starting.... Not a happy camper! Think I develop my own symptoms and read about ALS or Ms and make it worse for myself.
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 7:42 pm

I know just what you mean. Try not to worry. Your issues sound very innocent! Your doctor will make you feel better
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 7:54 pm

Thanks again. Have you found any meds that help? I took a klinopin which can help with anxiety and also used to help treat some seizure disorders.

Going to pig out on my candy corn, watch Casper and try to chill. So much easier said than done :(
dolphin8808

Postby LKP1231 on October 22nd, 2014, 8:09 pm

I haven't yet. Go enjoy. You're ok!
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby dolphin8808 on October 22nd, 2014, 8:14 pm

Hahaha thanks :) I am watching and lurking..... I find comfort in knowing others are close who can share
dolphin8808

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group