Losing it! My hand is worse + new symptom

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Losing it! My hand is worse + new symptom

Postby Xina535 on October 8th, 2014, 2:12 pm

So since freaking out in this post about right hand and throat/voice issues

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20916

My hand is worse. To the point I couldn't really grab crackers out of the box earlier today. I almost fainted when that happened. I repeated it a few times and I got the crackers out each time but with some difficulty.

My throat, discomfort. Feels hard to breathe at times. Voice still cracks but not as much as before.

Focused on the hand thing now.....what do I do?! Up until what point do I just sit here and let this happen?

The last neuro appt in Aug had clean nerve conduction tests and he recommended physical therapy. PT for what exactly?! What is even wrong? How does the therapist know what to do if not sure what's happening?! I see my orthopedic doc on the 15th. Any ideas what I should say or ask him besides "FIX ME!!!!!!!" ??

New symptom as of yesterday/today. I am feeling electric shocks in my right elbow. What is that? Feels like someone is holding a mini taser on my elbow. Comes and goes. Never had this before. I hope it is actually a promising sign, something pointing away from ***

Oh, I do not have and have not had any numbness in my hand, but have had a really painful and pulsating Thenar for a long time. That's over.

More twitching happening in my hand too

Just sitting here, with this weak hand, freaking out. Need to get this out, feeling faint! :cry:
Last edited by Xina535 on October 8th, 2014, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Losing it! My hand is worse + new symptom

Postby Xina535 on October 8th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Oh X-ray of hand/wrist was normal
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 8th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Oh and outside part of elbow (bony part) not the inside. No electric feelings in hand.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on October 9th, 2014, 1:22 am

Xina,

those electric feeling is a sensitive issue! It points towards ulnar nerve syndrom, just like mine...There is also a part of thumb muscle belonging to the ulnar nerve. I had a moving thumb a while ago....
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on October 9th, 2014, 2:40 am

Hi - thank you for that info. I am not googling anything.

The electrical shock feeling was just at night the past two nights. It would happen on and off for the period of like 30 minutes and then stop.

Would that syndrome have to do with thenar pulsating and pain or twitching in the thenar and the muscle between thumb and index finger? I am losing all the fat around my thumb knuckle.

When I was gripping my blanket and pillow this morning, I noticed that my hand took a different shape, like as if my fingers had a lameness to it. I wasn't gripping full handed, but like half handed. But I am typing just fine right now. I feel like this is so hard to explain or get across.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Tweek on October 9th, 2014, 3:14 am

electric shocks + pain + atrophy ....

=> ulnar nerve entrapment (at the elbow) ?

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

A bit of mechanical entrapment + a lot of irritation (BFS = irritated nerves) = big sensation of ulnar nerve compression

In other words: BFS might amplify preexisting compression problems, even those which were still silent.

I have the same symptoms. And I don't feel alone with them on this forum. So many people here have had carpal tunnel or ulnar nerve problems coming along with BFS...
My pinky finger and the one next to it are getting numb every night if I bend my arms. Is it the same thing for you ? (Typical ulnar nerve compression symptom)

(And sorry for my English. I can read it, but I don't practice it enough to be fluent).
Last edited by Tweek on October 9th, 2014, 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tweek

Postby trustme78 on October 9th, 2014, 3:52 am

I have had NVC (nerve velocity conduction) done as well and they found ulnar nerve entrapment as well. And I remember - back in the good old days where I allowed myself to google stuff like that - that I found pictures with atrophied hands with this as the origin.

By the way my hands go numb during the night too lots of times. Pinky finger and ring finger on the right side. I have had physio therapy where we did a lot of stretching of the arm as well. I am not sure it really helped that much but things have improved.
trustme78

Postby Xina535 on October 9th, 2014, 4:53 am

thanks for the link. I am not googling anything right now. And your English is awesome :)

Here is the symptom list from the page:

Cubital tunnel syndrome can cause an aching pain on the inside of the elbow. Most of the symptoms, however, occur in your hand.

•Ulnar nerve entrapment can give symptoms of "falling asleep" in the ring finger and little finger, especially when your elbow is bent. In some cases, it may be harder to move your fingers in and out, or to manipulate objects.
•Numbness and tingling in the ring finger and little finger are common symptoms of ulnar nerve entrapment. Often, these symptoms come and go. They happen more often when the elbow is bent, such as when driving or holding the phone. Some people wake up at night because their fingers are numb.
•Weakening of the grip and difficulty with finger coordination (such as typing or playing an instrument) may occur. These symptoms are usually seen in more severe cases of nerve compression.
•If the nerve is very compressed or has been compressed for a long time, muscle wasting in the hand can occur. Once this happens, muscle wasting cannot be reversed. For this reason, it is important to see your doctor if symptoms are severe or if they are less severe but have been present for more than 6 weeks.

Couple important things about me:

I have no numbness any where, nor the sensation that things are falling asleep, not while sleeping or while awake
I have no pain or sensation on the INSIDE of my elbow
I have no sensations in my fingers like tingly or numbness or electric shock
I do not seem to have muscle atrophy, per the opinions of users on here and my doctors. I seem to have fat loss happening around my thumb.
My nerve conduction tests were all normal. Had it done on my arm 3 times since this weak grip starting happening in April. Had thenar pain back then.
I do have weak grip
I do have twitching - pretty much everywhere like usual, but in my hand, mainly in the thenar and muscle between thumb and index finger. Not on the outside by my pinky.
I do seem to be having the electric feels on the OUTSIDE of my elbow, pointy bony part. Just started and comes and goes. No pain there at all.

Last night, I used both my hands and wrists a lot to help massage my husband's back. Afterwards, only my right wrist and hand were in pain. My left side wasn't.

My husband tried to massage me. He tried both sides of my neck and shoulders. There were many pain parts in my right side (none in left side), some so painful to the point where I wouldn't even let him touch them anymore. I realized I am also having the right side chest pain, just as much as before. Docs have told me the chest pain is due to gastritis stuff, though.

But could it be possible that the chest pain in my RIGHT side, the pain in my neck/back on my RIGHT side and my RIGHT hand issues are related?
Could it be that whatever that is could also be affecting my throat??

I feel like whatever this is, it's getting out of control and I am scared of any permanent damage! Mostly afraid of the weak grip :cry:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group