Effects of hypersensitivity *in days*

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Effects of hypersensitivity *in days*

Postby RIno468 on September 29th, 2014, 10:43 am

I am not even sure how to word this question so I hope you all can understand...

Once you become anxious and you become hypersensitive to everything in your body (every twitch, spasm, movement, pain, the way you walk, etc) once that anxiety goes away (mentally), I know your body has to catch up to being relaxed as well.

Does anyone know how long that is? And does anyone have a link to point to that shows it?

Hypothetic example: (and in this example I am truly relaxed)

I have body wide twitches, I go to the Dr and get an EMG and am reassured its nothing serious.

So my mind relaxes, and im no longer anxious about it being life threatening..

How long will it take for my body to no longer be hypersensitive?
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Effects of hypersensitivity *in days*

Postby LKP1231 on September 29th, 2014, 11:48 am

If I am fortunate enough to have a good emg result on Thursday, I will certainly let you know how long it takes for the feelings to go away! I'm guessing you have to give it a little time for your body to unwind and start processing signals correctly.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on September 29th, 2014, 12:40 pm

I worked with the Anxiety Centre for a long time back during my worst period of BFS, and the mantra they always used was that anxiety symptoms take seven times as long to go away as they did to build up. So it's not the sort of thing that is supposed to go away overnight. You just have to start chipping away at it.

If you look at the way human beings were designed, it makes sense. We weren't meant to go into panic mode (aka fight or flight mode) for more than a short amount of time. That ability only exists in our body as sort of a worst case last chance scenario. Like, say you were a caveman. One day you are walking around looking for food, and out of nowhere a sabretooth tiger comes after you. Well if that suddenly caught you off guard, you would RUN, and you would RUN FAST. You would run and hide somewhere, and your body would stay in that fight or flight mode for quite some time until you had convinced yourself that you were no longer in danger. THAT is what fight or flight mode was designed for. It protects you against danger, and it heightens your awareness and your senses for quite some time until you can prove to your body that you are no longer in any danger.

Well now look at modern times, and look at people who panic over BFS and panic over it for quite some time. Imagine a person who stays in that panic state for 6 months. That's not very normal, is it? It is going to take a long, long time to come down from that heightened state of awareness. It could take years to fully convince your body that you are no longer in any danger.

Really, this is all that BFS is, and this is why it takes so long to sort of settle down after it. But it does happen. Again, it takes seven times as long to come down from anxiety as it does to build up. So the first step to dealing with BFS is to accept in your mind that you are not in any danger. Once that happens, once you convince yourself that the sabretooth tiger isn't after you anymore, it is sort of a 2 steps forward, one step back process that you should try to aim for. There will always be anxiety setbacks along the way, you just have to learn not to let them knock you silly like they did the first time. Again, it is two steps forward, one step back. That is the goal. And it might take a long time, so don't be discouraged.

And for goodness sake, you have to learn to stop running to doctors and demanding tests that even the doctors know are pointless. That sort of stuff doesn't really help you at all, it just further cements in your mind that you are in danger when you actually aren't. And then you are right back to square one.

If you want to know more about this, I highly recommend visiting anxietycentre.com, it is the website that helped me the most and it has helped dozens of others here.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby RIno468 on September 29th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Mario

Thank you for your well thought out reply.

All of it makes sense.

I personally have twitches -- panicked.. i didnt get an EMG but i got reccomended to go to a therapist to talk abotu my anxiety which is what I am doing now, and the twitches have calmed down alot.

I am always in some sort of anxiety about my health. So this is helping.

Thank you again for the reply.
RIno468
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LKP1231 on September 29th, 2014, 4:47 pm

I am always prone to thinking the worst - about health especially. I'm seeing a therapist as well but so far I've not calmed down.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby MarioMangler on September 29th, 2014, 4:59 pm

RIno468 wrote:Mario

Thank you again for the reply.

If it makes you feel better, just keep in mind that nearly everyone here on aboutbfs.com is either in the same boat, has been in the same boat, or is desperately trying not to fall back into that same boat. So we have all been there before. Again, once you realize what BFS really is, it all makes a lot more sense, and then you can devise a plan how you are going to deal with it. And really I think that is all that anyone with BFS really wants at the start. All you are really looking for at the beginning is some plan of attack on HOW you are going to deal with this. Because the scariest part at the beginning is having no idea what is going on and what you are going to do about it. Having a say in how you are going to deal with BFS is a step that cannot be overemphasized for how important it is. It makes all the difference in the world to feel like you have some control over this again.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint