Question about time table and EMG

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question about time table and EMG

Postby guitarguy11 on September 19th, 2014, 3:37 pm

I am a little confused about entries on this site that speak to how long it takes for MND to show up on EMG results. The older entries back from 2008 or so seem to say that MND will show up on an EMG even in early stages and that even if it does not show on an EMG a clinical exam will detect it early. But the more recent entries state that 8 to 9 months seems to the safe range to completely rule out MND. I am asking because my EMG was about 6 weeks into twitching. Then I had another clinical exam 5 weeks later (about 4 weeks ago). I have another follow-up appointment with the neuro in about 6 weeks. Thanks so much for your input. This site is helping me.
guitarguy11

Re: Question about time table and EMG

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 11:12 pm

1. EMG really can pick up early denervation issues even when a person does not have clinical weakness yet or has it so limited that it could be suspected only by experienced neuro. This is becasue muscles can compensate deneravtion to a certain level so we do not display it clinically (on the exam).
2. 6 weeks are generally enough to develop quite significant denervation and even some re-innervation, as usually those processes are going within weeks or so. So if your twitching is caused by denervation, then in 6 weeks some findings should be availalble.
3. 6 to 8 months is a timetable to be practically sure you are not within those 4 to 6 % of unhappy people in whom twithcing comes first and then clinical weakness develops (we had several fellows of that type here - two or three among 5000 registered and numberless non-regiseterd users during 14 years of operation of this board whih may give you a good estimation of how frequent (or rather extrememly unfrequent) could be such onset)

hope his will help a bit

regards
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Re: Question about time table and EMG

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group