New to the forum and scared

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New to the forum and scared

Postby guitarguy11 on September 12th, 2014, 5:05 pm

I am a 43 year old male. My symptoms started in May with my left side bottom eyelid almost constantly twitching. Then the twitching jumped to my left thumb in early June with an occasional twitch, a couple times a day. This freaked me out and then strong spasms and twitches quickly started all over – under shoulder blades, both arms, both legs, both feet, in my abdomen. Over the next two weeks, it seemed to settle more into my left arm and left hand, but I would still have random pops all over. In my left hand I felt (and still feel) fairly constant little vibration type twitches and occasionally have larger twitches in the calf of my thumb and in between the thumb and index finger on the palm of my hand. In my left arm, I have mostly spasms in my upper arm, in my bicep and tricep, but (on the day of my EMG and NCV), I had one really scary spasm in my left forearm that looked like spiders or worms were crawling under my skin. By this time my left arm was sore, getting worse by the end of each day after typing and working all day. The soreness is mostly in the tricep area, sometimes in the bicep area. Playing the guitar and driving seem to irritate it too. I also started to feel pain in my left thumb on the bone under the palm side fleshy part of the thumb and at the index finger joint where it meets the palm.
Six weeks into twitches (mid to late July), I had an EMG and NCV done. Also, the neuro checked my strength and reflexes. Strength was good. Reflexes normal. I had also a central nervous system and brain MRI with contrast. It was fine. In the EMG/NCV the neuro only tested my left arm since that is where the significant symptoms were. He checked 4 muscles with the needle. And did the NCV in my hand and arm. He told me there was no sign of MND, that it was not ALS and he also told me he had diagnosed himself many times with ALS due to twitches and scared himself silly before too, but he is still here (and does not have ALS).
I just recently went back to the neuro again (5 weeks after my NCV/EMG) because the soreness in my left arm was not getting better and I was worried that my left palm was shrinking exactly where I feel the vibrations. I also wanted to ask him about the joint/bone pain, which I had not asked him about before. I also asked him about the tremors in my hands, especially on my left arm and hand. My left palm is thinner than my right palm, but he did not think it was a big deal. And granted, it could have always been like this. It actually looks similar to my wife’s left palm versus right palm – we are both right handed. He strength tested me again, even more than in the appointment 5 weeks earlier, and told me there is no way that what I think I am seeing in my left palm is atrophy because I would not pass the strength tests (which I did). He told me the tremors in my left arm/hand were worse than my right, but they were physiological adrenalin tremors. He wants to see me again in about 9 weeks to see how I am doing. He gave me some stretches for my arms as he thinks I am doing something to my arm typing and playing the guitar.
So, my symptoms now are:
1. Occasional cramp like feelings between my left thumb and index finger in the webbing of my hand.
2. Cramps or pain in on the pinky side of both palms (oddly enough with this one it is mostly on my right palm). This pain seems to be in the upper side of the palm near the pinky joint. It seems to almost be on the bone in my palm.
3. Heightened anxiety (my poor wife),
4. I am not sleeping very well (wake up every night at 3AM on the dot).
5. Spasms and soreness in my left bicep and tricep - most of the time the spasms occur when my arm is in use, for instance typing at the computer, or playing the guitar when my arm is bent and the bicep is engaged. The spasms will be three or four at a time BAM BAM BAM!.
6. I am passing the strength tests and I don’t think I have weakness, but my left arm gets more tired than it used to.
7. Vibratory, buzzing type feelings in my left palm. My left palm also feels tight when stretched compared to my right palm.
8. Pains in my left hand around my thumb and index finger on the bones or joints.
9. Occasional twitches in the calves of my left and right thumb and in between first finger and thumb in palms.
10. Burning sensations that come and go in the left palm.
11. With my legs, I feel spasms both at rest and when I am driving (for instance in the calf muscle with my foot on the accelerator or brake) or sometimes sitting with my feet flat.
12. Tremors, especially in my left arm and hand.
13. Off and on weird sensations in my throat behind my Adam’s apple, like fasiculations, little clicking feelings.
14. Random spasms at rest behind my shoulders, in my thighs, ankles, calves, my chest, my chin, my lips, around my knees, a few in my scalp, a few around my mouth, a few in my neck, frequently in my ears. Except the ears, all of these are “one and done” little pops that feel like a small bubble popping.
15. Myoclonic jerks at night or early morning, especially in my abdomen. These either wake me up or happen when I am trying to fall back to sleep in the morning.
My concerns are:
1. Since I am having spasms when my muscles are in use AND at rest, does this sound like BFS? The bicep spasms can be pretty strong and really freak me out. I thought BFS spasms only happened at rest?
2. Also, do the joint pains, cramps and burning sensations sound like BFS?
3. Could the EMG been done too early to detect ALS?
4. Do the weird little clicking feelings behind my Adam’s apple sound like BFS?
5. Does the jerk at night in my abdomen sound like BFS?
6. Do the little one-at a-time bubble popping feelings all over sound like BFS?
I know I need to get my anxiety under control but I have been having a hard time for the last couple of months.
guitarguy11

Re: New to the forum and scared

Postby wjjw on September 12th, 2014, 7:41 pm

I will bet you 1 million dollars (I accept Paypal) that you are fine. Your onset was exactly like mine 9+ years ago (eyelid -> fingers -> full body) and I've had every single symptom you listed (in your way too long post), plus others that were worse.

P.S. I was 43 at the time as well, 52 now and stronger than I was then.

Cheers,
Bill
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms--Albert Einstein
wjjw
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on September 12th, 2014, 8:58 pm

In order of importance:

1. Neuro says "..not ALS..."
2. Symptoms sound exactly like BFS.
3. Post is highly suggestive of an anxious person who (understandably) obsesses over their health.

You'll be in good company here :)

Like almost every member of this board, you have a symptom which is present in a terrible neurological disease. You don't though have that disease. Now run far away from us and get on with your life, you just twitch, worse things happen at sea.

I'm not dismissing how difficult a time you have had, it's just that now is the time to embrace the idea that this is harmless.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby guitarguy11 on September 13th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the responses. I apologize for my long original entry. I am trying to get my anxiety under control. I know it takes time once it has taken a hold on for a few months. :shock:
guitarguy11

Postby LKP1231 on September 27th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Just curious how your right leg feels after driving? Mines quite sore.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby LKP1231 on September 27th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Just curious how your right leg feels after driving? Mines quite sore.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Postby guitarguy11 on September 27th, 2014, 9:14 pm

My legs don't get sore from driving. My left arm does, but it seems to be very slowly getting better after bothering me for over 3 months. What I feel in my legs during driving is occasional little twitches in my calves that feel like a little bubble popping.
guitarguy11

Postby LKP1231 on September 27th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I feel that in my right calf when I drive. But then I feel sore afterwards. Maybe because I'm so tense about the twitching.
LKP1231
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group