Change of focus

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Change of focus

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 11th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Topic change.

Dr. Hayes talks about focusing NOT on your illness (whatever it is), but focusing on your general health.

http://beatingneuropathy.tv/2013/10/episode-28/

Regards.
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on September 12th, 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Worried About Bulbar? Not So Fast.

Postby Dual_CoRed on September 11th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Thx Juan. Tried this and almost threw up lol.
Dual_CoRed

Postby Yuliasir on September 11th, 2014, 11:10 pm

well, dear all trying immediately to test your gag reflex... I must warn you that some very healthy people have problems evoking it in that way :))) so please please do not worry if you would not vomit or gagging - this does not mean you have bulbar paralysis.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on September 12th, 2014, 12:58 am

To elaborate on what Yuliasir said, those who do not have it, do not worry. Gag reflex is missing in up to 37% healthy individuals (Davies et al.) and it can be supressed voluntarily with a bit of training (useful in certain professions...).
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Bibi on September 12th, 2014, 10:46 am

Could Bulbar start like this : When talking for A While i have to clear my throat and my Voice feels weak, not All The time but if i try to speak loud or talking without pauses for a longer time.i do not have problems with drinking and eating. I am twitcing specially in my left side , foot and legs . I A going for an EMG 18/9 and i am very worried.
Bibi
Bibi
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 12th, 2014, 10:50 am

I don't know all the patterns, but the EMG is a good start. Do the above test as a start.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 12th, 2014, 11:57 am

It is always helpful to point out from time to time that no one here has bulbar, and no one here is ever going to get bulbar. And no one here actually has any bulbar symptoms going on in the first place.

Just wanted to throw that out there since I have seen a lot of threads like this around here lately.

If you are focusing on threads like this on this board you are focusing on the wrong stuff. None of this has anything to do with BFS.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 12th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Inevitably, people new to BFS as myself have questions, relevant or otherwise. If this post helps reassure them, then it's not inappropriate. As I believe, knowledge is power.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 12th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Of course. But it does always need to be pointed out that none of this info will apply to anyone here. No one here has anything even remotely close to bulbar.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 12th, 2014, 2:25 pm

With all due respect, I won't argue against your viewpoint and will agree to disagree, in part. Moderators and veterans should focus on slapping the wrist of those whose comments only add to anxiety and worry, not those like mine, intended to reduce the same. I'd like to know how many BFS unrelated comments have been made that have been tolerated without objection. I've edited the post and will post irrelevant posts elsewhere. Unbelievable.

PS The way I see it, all posts should lead others to conclude it's BFS. Those comments should be welcome.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on September 12th, 2014, 3:57 pm

I wasn't slapping your wrist, I was directing my comments to everyone else who is reading this thread. One of the best rules of thumb when it comes to this board is to remember that every single time you post something, you aren't just writing it to one person, you are writing it to 500 people. So every time a thread shows up that delves too far down the road of "OMG do I have bulbar??" it it always helpful for some old timer to point out that no one here actually has any bulbar symptoms and worrying about this aspect of BFS is a complete waste of time. Again, nothing here was directed at you, it was directed at all the people who obsess over this stuff and who read every single thread here. I was directing my comments to the same people that you were.

You didn't need to delete your post.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby misterjuanperalta on September 12th, 2014, 3:59 pm

Well, I erred in the side of caution. At least you're respectful. I've seen nastiness in other forums.Thanks.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group