Update--Leaving on a jet plane

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Update--Leaving on a jet plane

Postby Neville86 on September 10th, 2014, 11:22 am

Hey all

I had my first appointment with a therapist yesterday. We have agreed to do Exposure and Response Prevention for my health anxiety. I'm committed to this, even though I know it's going to be really hard. Anyway, she is giving me some homework and here it is:

--Sit with the thought(s) and anxiety instead of looking for comfort. And unfortunately, this place is the only thing I can think of that gives me any comfort right now and so I have to let it go. Eventually we are going to get to a point where I seek out the anxiety, etc. It's going to be really hard, but I can't do this the rest of my life. I look at some of you who are a 3 years, 5 years, 10 years into this and still worrying and always tense and waiting for the other foot to drop. And when you do reach a moment of calm, much of it still seems contingent on symptoms remaining the same. I can't live my life under this raincloud anymore. And so I'm going to give this a serious go.

She said it will take 3-6 months, depending on how serious and dedicated I am about it. I will report back later on, when I can honestly look this thing (the thing that I can't even say right now due to fear) in the face and not feel afraid.

I'm scared :cry: Anyway, you're all the best. See you on the other side!

--Neville
Neville86
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Update--Leaving on a jet plane

Postby elliottok on September 10th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Neville,

Good for you. Godspeed and please report back to me and let me know how it goes.
elliottok

Re: Update--Leaving on a jet plane

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group