I'm still here after 6 years

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

I'm still here after 6 years

Postby carlos on August 23rd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Hi.

Just to help reassure everyone, especially the newbies who are still struggling with the ALS-fear: I just completed 6 years with BFS (it all began in August 2008).
When I went to the first doctor (a neuro-surgeon), I didn't know much about ALS and I didn't know about the possible relation between twitches and ALS. He told me about that and made me be examined (EMG, MR, ...). Everything was ok but that's when I began having fear...
Some more visits to neurologists, a follow up one year later, lots of help from this great forum and, especially, time have helped me overcome that fear.
ALS is quickly noticeable if you have it. If you do, there's not much that you can do about it, and you know it, you are sure of it because the symptoms will be more and more clear, with no room for doubts.

Well, with me, like with most of us, symptoms just come and go. I have no weakness, apart from the normal and mild weakness that all of us have when tired, when not sleeping too much, when ill, when we do too much exercise...

Yes, I twitch from time to time. But I'm sure, after 6 years, that I have nothing else but BFS (well, mabe other health problems, but not ALS). And I can live with that. If I had ALS, I would be dead by now (or uncapable of being here writing on my computer).

So, for the newbies: it's normal if you have fear. There are lots of reasons not to have it, but it's normal to have it. But I hope that my post, like many others in this great forums, may help you overcome that fear faster and better.

Good luck and... live your life! :wink:
carlos

Re: I'm still here after 6 years

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 24th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Good to hear!

Regards
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on September 14th, 2014, 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on August 24th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the post

How much did you twitch? How much do you still twitch?
Is it daily?

When does it get better

I'm almost a year in and still twitching like crazy

Any other advice
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby misterjuanperalta on August 24th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Eat healthy, exercise, stay up to date and open with Dr's. Let time pass.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group