Talk to me about this hotspot in my left calf

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Talk to me about this hotspot in my left calf

Postby jc825 on August 21st, 2014, 4:30 pm

Hi all. Never thought I'd be back here again! I went through a somewhat crippling health anxiety episode two years ago, everything from rare cancers to the standard twitching fears I'm sure you're all too familiar with. I did the whole neuro thing, EMG, saw a shrink, got on some low-dose meds, etc. etc. And I came out of it good as new/feeling better for it.

Fast-forward to the present, and you can't go five-minutes without seeing something about the ice-bucket challenge (I donated) and then reading these sad stories about the afflicted. Which is to say that it's triggered some renewed panic over this twitch I've had in my left calf for the past five days.

The thing that freaks me out is the persistence and the fact that it's pretty much confined to this one acute spot. It seems to get going when the leg is bent at the knee while sitting; less prevalent, if at all, when the leg is stretched out. Ceases if I flex the calf muscle. In general, my twitching episodes had pretty much subsided until this new one (or at least I stopped noticing/worrying about them), but now I'm hopelessly focusing on the calf and my mind is going into those dark spirals. Fun times! (32-year-old male, btw)

Anyway, I think I know what you guys are going to tell me, but I think it would help to hear you tell it anyway, because I'm trying not to go back down that road.

Thanks!
jc825
Interested
Interested

Re: Talk to me about this hotspot in my left calf

Postby dARR on August 21st, 2014, 6:49 pm

Hi!
You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. I have twitched in my calves every second of every day (even when i flex) for over four years. It's so benign it's not funny! Calves are the most common area for twitching!

As for the ice bucket challenge: it sucks that it makes us think of als but burying our heads in the sand and being selfish won't make als go away but all the money and awareness being raised by this just might. If it funds the lab that discovers the cure wouldn't it be worth our anxiety?

I hope so.
Good luck on your journey
Dar
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby jc825 on August 21st, 2014, 8:16 pm

dARR wrote:Hi!
You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. I have twitched in my calves every second of every day (even when i flex) for over four years. It's so benign it's not funny! Calves are the most common area for twitching!

As for the ice bucket challenge: it sucks that it makes us think of als but burying our heads in the sand and being selfish won't make als go away but all the money and awareness being raised by this just might. If it funds the lab that discovers the cure wouldn't it be worth our anxiety?

I hope so.
Good luck on your journey
Dar

Yup that's precisely why I was happy to donate.

Thanks for your insight, too. I think I'd be less freaked if it wasn't just in predominantly one spot in on calf.
jc825
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group