What causes hand atrophy? Losing everyday!!!

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: What causes hand atrophy? Losing everyday!!!

Postby Capital H on September 5th, 2014, 7:30 pm

TOS is not really any different to any other kind of nerve compression, wherever the nerves are compressed there will be damage and what follows it. I get chest pains as well, sometimes they are really severe.
Capital H
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 6th, 2014, 1:13 am

Dear Xina,

I have similar problems with that muscle between thumb and index finger and my grip. I was also freaking out about it!
What you asked regarding TOS: I am suspected to have it.
My NCV was totally fine, but from orthopädic point of view there is a squeeze unter my first ridge, can bee seen in the x-ray.

I don't know whether this is exactly the reason for my decline. But could be...

But with me, not only this muscle is affected but also the muscle (or and subcutanous fat) above hand back where pinky and ringfinger are. Both sides. And this part of the hand get numb every night.

In addition I have those GM1 and Gd1b antibodies..so I am suspected to have a motor neuropathy....

These two circumstances might explain, that there are symptoms similar to MND but it could also have ohter explanations...That is what I hope becaus MND ambulance ruled out MND three weeks ago for a second time....

I will PM you also!
GErman2
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 6th, 2014, 2:34 am

And Xina, I have forgotten to mention that I also have the pulsating and twichting feeling on my thenar from time to time. Some month ago, my whole thumb was moved by it the whole day.
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 7th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hi German, thanks for sharing your experience.

So the ortho could tell from a chest X-ray? Or what kind of X-ray was it? Do you have any chest pain in that side? When I do some TOS stretching exercises, I can hardly do them because my chest pulls/hurts so bad! And then the pain and sensations go all the way into my hand, mostly thumb, but not as bad as my chest.

Also, for the antibodies: was that a simple blood test? And was it evaluated by your primary doc or someone like a rheumatologist?

Thanks!!
And this weak grip is making me totally insane. I keep trying to live life, and in the present, and I'm ok doing that with the twitches but I can't ignore this weak grip. Also sick to my stomach about my voice being hoarse and cracking. :cry:
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 8th, 2014, 12:42 am

Dear Xina,

it was a rheumatology doc who did the x-Ray from my spine and lung (can give you name and adress if you like. He is not very humble person, very arrogant, but the examinations are very thorough...).
What the antibodies is concerned it was testet by a blood test at my neuro (I gave you his name already).

I can understand your feelings. My hand gets also weaker and weaker every day. All my joints are clicking, hurting. So my muscles do..Nothing feels ok in my body any more.
I don't have such a strong effect with the TOS exercises. Just my 4./5.th finger are getting numb when I lay down. Especially left hand which is weak now.

I will follow up my story from hospital, which I am going to check-in tomorrow...

Cheers, German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Thank you, German. I am so sorry for the things you are going through. I really wish you all the best in the hospital and for some answers and treatment to help you feel better.

For my hand, it's not getting better, or worse, seems like. Twitching there seemed to have died down or stopped, for the most part.
My voice is still cracking and has some weird sensations, though. Making me a real mess. :cry: I am taking more anti-anxiety medicine to help keep my panic down.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 9th, 2014, 12:30 am

Hi Xina,

is anyone else realizing this with your voice? Or just you? I would make an appt. with the neuro I recommended to you. He is checking a bit more than others. Without him, I would never know about my antibodies..
My left wrist is hurting now and my left leg feels like tins and needles this morining. Both legs starting to feel a bit weak. Good that I am leaving now for hospital. But I am very anxious...!
German2
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 9th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Other people will notice it if I speak long sentences. I will notice on a few words, but they won't. They are all saying that I might be picking up a cold, which I know I'm not, I know when that happens. Or allergies, but I do to have allergy problems and have no other allergy symptoms. I do feel a burn kind of feeling or something squiggling back there from time to time so maybe that is some sort of heartburn/gastritis affecting my throat/voice? I was up all night with this feeling (but it was not really painful, just uncomfortable/noticeable). Still no swallowing or slurring problems, so I am relieved by that.

But now I am flying to MN, taking two planes, alone, and next to MND, flying is another huge fear for me. Trying to keep the anxiety down because I know it makes everything worse.

Thinking of you, please let us know how you are when you can!!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on September 10th, 2014, 4:14 pm

I have second neuro visit tomorrow...I have visible atrophy left calf (full inch), the leg also feels weak, and the twitches there are worse than anywhere else. I am frightened. I'm not young either (49). I can still walk normally but it feels like I have weights strapped to that leg. I've never had cortisone injection before. I'd like to believe that my symptoms are due to c-spine issues, but it's hard. Xina your hand looks normal as does your thumb. No weakness and clean EMG behind you = you are gonna be fine.
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on September 10th, 2014, 8:05 pm

I am so worried about this hoarse voice. It is getting worse. I can't talk at all without my voice somehow breaking up. I have to cough a lot, but also, after I cough, sometimes I feel nauseous or like something is crawling in the back of my throat. I am just going to try to assume this is something related to GERD or something like that. Funny, my hand, although weak, has been much better today, almost has not bothered me at all. The weak grip is there but not as strong, so another good sign I am trying to keep me sane.

The pictures...it's weird and hard to really get the grooves on camera. Everyone I show them to in real life sees them. These were not there 3 months ago.

I feel so depressed and scared since I am far far far away from my home (Germany) where I can see doctors and where my husband now is. I am in MN with colleagues. I fly back on the 27th and I am doing what I can to baby step my way to that time.

I heard the Mayo Clinic is big here in MN....I might just walk in there and tell them to take me and fix me, and I'll pay off the bill.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on September 10th, 2014, 10:31 pm

If you truly feel that your voice is being affected, you should consider visiting Mayo, but not because I think you have MND, but because you could have an autoimmune issue, thyroid issue, or still be having problems from your injections. I'm sure you wish you were at home in Germany...do you have a decent support group of family / friends in MN? If yes, perhaps it's time to have someone advocate for you and make some calls to gather copies of all tests done (EMG, MRI, X-rays, etc) and coordinate a short hospital stay where you can get everything done under one roof. I (like you) am so tired of running from doctor to doctor to MRI center to lab for bloodwork. It is mentally and physically exhausting (especially when trying to work, care for home). Any way that you can fax or scan and email your results to a trusted doctor in Germany? That may be a good idea too. Just remember: you may have something weird going on (like most of us), but your EMG's were clear. That is the gold standard. I pray that you will get to the bottom of this soon and be able to live a happy and productive life. God Bless
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby elliottok on September 11th, 2014, 10:51 am

Xina,

You have absolutely NO atrophy in your hand. None.
elliottok

Postby Xina535 on September 11th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Thank you, to all who have reviewed and provided your advice! I think now it could be the fat loss. But why the weakened grip?

I am just caught in a ball of fear, trying to move forward in the day while staying at my friend's/colleague's house. My mother arrives on Saturday to stay with me in MN for next week so I feel good about that. I will see what we can or should do as far as clinics,etc.

My voice is crackling, goes in and out. It feels like my vocal cords are crackling, like as if pop rocks are in there. Not my throat....my throat is not painful and no swallowing or slurring, but the vocal cords are crackling. Not when I'm breathing either, nothing to do with breathing.

I yelled the word STOP for a couple of seconds and my voice changed pitch several times. This, plus my weakened grip and I still have twitching, I'm a wreck. But having to be a wreck inside, and not show it, since I am a guest.

Keep repeating "this too shall pass"....
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group