Doc said wrist instability??

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Doc said wrist instability??

Postby Xina535 on August 12th, 2014, 2:32 pm

So I've been having left leg pain, coordination/numbness feeling with walking in addition to right/dominant hand slimming* obvious to my doctors, with Thenar pain and dexterity issues. Clean nerve tests on the limbs last Tuesday. Ortho took over today with cortisone shot in back, waiting to see the effects there....and he examined my hand more thoroughly. Until now no X-ray, just a brace to wear. When I take off the brace, pain comes back, also in different areas, like back of wrist.

Ortho took X-ray today, get results on Fri when I get my 2nd cortisone shot.

He said he believes the X-ray will come back normal though, because he thinks I do not have anything with my bones, but instead WRIST INSTABILITY. Said my wrist is very flexible and I need to build up my forearm muscles.

*slimming
I say slimming because I have no change in the size or appearance of muscles (Thenar and the muscle in the web part....well I do have a dent that I wrote about months ago, but it has not changed since then at all), but the slimming what I am referring to is around my thumb knuckle where it meets the hand. It has become more square, where it looks like the fat around there is reducing, and the line from the middle of my thumb knuckle down into the snuff box is deeper. Is that muscle atrophy?? I don't think there are any muscles there. I did read about ligament atrophy, but did not google too much.

I WANT to believe that this instability, pain, etc. is coming from overuse (I work on the computer all day), but before when I used to google, I remember reading horrible things related to this being a bad sign.

Ok so my burning questions, since I just can't google, and I did not get to see the doc to ask my questions after he ordered the X-ray, like I thought I would:

Can this instability be secondary to muscle weakness or wasting in my arm?

In what you know, is this pure mechanical or can this be something else bad?

If I had a nerve conduction test last week with these symptoms going on, and it was normal, is that enough to detect if anything is wrong with muscles? I read before nerve conduction can be normal when there are things going on.

Clean EMG end of May, in left leg and left arm. Doctors say that's enough to rule out MND, but I remember people who experienced differently.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Doc said wrist instability??

Postby Jocruz on August 12th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I'm not too sure what that means at all. I'm going off on a limb here, but I hope it helps. NONE OF THIS MATTERS! Thats something I had to convince myself of just a couple of days ago when I came back to post again. The thing that had really helped me move forward through all of the fear is that if I have some terrible disease... Then I have it. Then again, I could die in a car accident when I leave for work tomorrow morning. Uncertainty is hard to swallow, especially for our generation. We have the answer to any question that we could think of at our fingertips 24/7. I believe BFS, is a disease of the critical thinker. I have come to realize that whenever I get focused on something, I completely forget about all of my problems. People, in General have gotten so far away from out roots that we tend to overanalyze things, and forget what really matters in life... Which in my case is the small things. For example, a thunderstorm on a humid August day. Occupy your mind with positive energy and optimistic vibes and watch how quickly none of this matters. When you quit worrying, the anxiety loses its power. Also, regular exercise and a paleo diet wouldn't hurt. Our bodies and minds weren't designed to live this fast pace lifestyle that we live on a daily basis. It will all be ok... Trust me, you're not the 1 : 100,000
Jocruz

Postby J4son on August 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Xina, most joint instabilities are due to mechanical issues and are of no concerns. I was diagnosed with right-ankle instability a few years ago, and had to do some physiotherapy to build up the muscles around the ankle. Don’t worry about those things, you’ve passed all the neurological tests, you’re OK.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby leaflea on August 12th, 2014, 6:26 pm

what exactly is a "mechanical problem" of the wrist? I have two hump like things on the backs of my wrists that developed shortly after bfs, also while hands got skinnier. They look almost like ganglion cysts, but I don't think they are, I have them on both wrists and I noted that my mother does also. I've looked at the wrists of many others and don't see it. My mom also gets a lot of body wide cramps - just checked out at a neuro last week and she was told they are "ordinary cramps" no associated with any neurological disease. I can't help but wonder if this is all related, cramps, humps on hands, "mechanical problems" I read these humps are usually a result of. What the heck does it mean to have a mechanical problem?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby J4son on August 13th, 2014, 3:03 am

Sometimes it can be due to some joint laxity. In my case I had ankle laxity means the ankle joint was a little bit loose and the ankle became slightly unstable. It can happen after an injury or some other damage to the ligaments. Physiotherapy helps strengthening the muscles around the joint and usually the problem subsides. Most of the time surgery is not needed.
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Xina535 on August 13th, 2014, 5:05 am

Jocruz, thanks. I go through this in phases myself. with feelings of "just let it go!!", but it's not constant. I'm not there yet. When I start 3 weeks vacation on Saturday, I hope to be able to let go even more and just have fun.
Thats something I had to convince myself of just a couple of days ago when I came back to post again. The thing that had really helped me move forward through all of the fear is that if I have some terrible disease... Then I have it. Then again, I could die in a car accident when I leave for work tomorrow morning.

J4son - thanks, I really hope so. I just keep thinking the instability is coming from (secondary to) muscles wasting away.....I will have to wait until I am back to Germany in 6 weeks to start any physiotherapy, but I already immediately started using hand grips and logging the reps I do. I am at 20 reps 3 times a day, plus one time holding as long as I can, for each arm. I BETTER see muscle build up over time or :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock: :? :!: :?: Weird thing to note - I am having these issues in my right, dominant hand, and my right hand could still do more reps and was not as tired as my left non-dominant arm.

Leaflea - mechanical to me means something other than caused by disease, like posture problems, mis-alignment, fractures, broken bones, torn tendons, strained muscles, herniated disc - all when they are primary (like torn tendons due to injury would be primary, it would be secondary if the torn tendons happened due to a disease affecting the muscles that tendons support - am I making sense)? More Muskoskeletal issues, rather than muscle/neuro diseases. Maybe other people can explain their view of mechanical.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Nytviolet on August 14th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Hi Xina, as you know I have almost identical symptoms (left side dominant, leg and arm feel weak, twitching in my shoulder and leg when I'm active cleaning, working, cooking, etc) and it's been going on since April or May. The neuro I saw would not even do an EMG!! I have some tingling and left calve feels tight, but no true sensory issues (I wish I had them!). You should relax and be thrilled that you had a clean EMG...I'm being put through all the X-rays and blood tests and would kill to have had a clean EMG. If your symptoms were caused by ***, they would have found something during that test. I'm thinking you have pinched nerves and carpal tunnel (I too work 8-9 hours daily on a computer and my arm aches constantly. The only thing keeping me sane is that I have good dexterity in my hands and no issues with tripping or choking etc. a clean EMG rules out ***. There are so many other possible causes for your symptoms that are treatable. Trying to be patient sucks, and it can drive you crazy, but I'd be willing to bet $$$ that you're not suffering from what u fear. I pray that you'll get relief soon. Hugs
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group