left eye twitching CONSTANTLY, please advise

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

left eye twitching CONSTANTLY, please advise

Postby erb on August 4th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Hi everyone, I have suffered with BFS on and off for about 2 1/2 years now...its horrible! I have had my left eyelid twitching constantly for the last few weeks. All of the nuero tests, MRT, EMG, physical exams have supposedly diagnosed me with BFS and NOT the dreaded 3 letter Acronym starting with the letter A. I refuse to even type it, it freaks me out too bad. I have suffered over the years with arm and leg and stomach twitching but recently those areas have gone away and now its my toes every few days and my left eye every day. Can anyone tell me if the eye twitching RULES OUT the A** disease...I thought I read on here on a post a long time ago which now I cannot find that their nuero said eye twitching was not a symptom of A** and ruled it out actually but wasn't sure. My toe twitching freaks me out so bad also but luckily I can still walk on my tip toes and heels and haven't lost strength just still get the pins and needles feeling in feet and hands alot. BFS is so scary and frustrating and my sympathy goes out to all my fellow sufferers. Any info you can give me on the eye twitching I appreciate. Its been a year since my last nuero check and this eye and toes twitching are new spots. Thank you!
erb
Interested
Interested

Re: left eye twitching CONSTANTLY, please advise

Postby Scboy on August 4th, 2014, 3:50 pm

I'm relatively new to this, but the fact that you have been going through this for 2.5 years pretty much rules out ALS from what I've been told. I had a prominent neuro who specializes only in ALS tell me that after only seven months of twitching I would almost certainly have obvious weakness somewhere and EMG findings.

As annoying as eye twitching is I really don't think you should be worrying about ALS.

I'm not a doctor; just my opinion based on my experience with this crap so far.
Scboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby erb on August 4th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Thank you for the words of encouragment Scboy. I appreciate the information you gave me from your neuro and the time you took to reply.
erb
Interested
Interested

Postby MarioMangler on August 4th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Eye twitching just means you need to be sleeping more and straining your eyes less. Try taking a week off from the internet and make a point to get more sleep for a week. That almost always helps with my eye twitches.

Other than that, an eye twitch is pretty meaningless. It just means the muscles around your eyes are tired.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby erb on August 4th, 2014, 7:11 pm

thank you Mario, I appreciate your time also so much. What about toes....ever had your toes twitch? This is a new spot for me also. Its only when I am laying down and they tend to just move and jerk around on their own. I HATE IT SO MUCH. Freaks me out....that started and then my eye after that. So stressed. I've been to my neuro twice over last two years and he keeps saying BFS. I wish my brain would believe it. Every had toes twitch anyone?
erb
Interested
Interested

Postby Tohapane66 on August 4th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Hi erb

I hate the eye twitch. If you haven't had acupuncture try it out. I found it has given me relief. Other than that follow Mario's advice ... try to give your eyes a rest. Eye twitching usually referred to as myokymia, pretty benign.

Toes are a very active spot for me ... especially when I have a hot spot on the foot. My toes look like they are dancing sometimes. Freaked me out at the start but I'm more used to it now. It is still a bit awkward if I'm trying to sleep and they are active. I do my best to ensure foot is relaxed as possible.

Tom
Tohapane66

Postby erb on August 6th, 2014, 1:47 pm

thank you everyone for your replies, unfortunately my eye is still twitching all throughout the day. How long have some of you experienced the eye twitch for?
erb
Interested
Interested

Postby mprowland on August 20th, 2014, 8:52 am

My eye has been twitching for over a year, literally! 60% of the day, my right eye twitches. I've had Botox injected near the muscle and that takes care of it for several months.(Botox was originally designed for this reason) When I start to feel it again, I get another shot of Botox. I have been to my doctor countless times(10+), the ophthalmologist three times and a neurologist once (1 week ago). None of them have said that a twitchy eye is caused from MS or A#$. I've also had twitches in other various places with a intermittent crampy right leg for the past year and a half. (I had a clean EMG on my leg 9 months ago) After a year and a half later with various symptoms, I'm finally starting to believe that someone can have symptoms that are not caused be something sinister. I have high anxiety to begin with. When I have a symptom, I'm hyper sensitive and magnify it by 10 fold. This truly creates a downward spiral. I'm about to swallow my pride(this week) and am going to see a psychiatrist for some help. Back to your original concern, a twitchy eye appears to be nothing more than a twitchy eye.
mprowland
Interested
Interested

Postby pdodge715 on August 20th, 2014, 9:30 am

Eye twitches are extremely annoying, because the sensitivity in that area makes them almost impossible to ignore. That said, eye twitches are also, by my understanding, THE most common involuntary muscle twitch. Any stranger on the street could commiserate with you about eye twitching - not just those of us in the BFS community. As far as BFS is concerned, twitches can last for exceedingly long periods of time. My calves haven't stopped twitching since onset in June 2012, for instance. So, your eye might relax today, or you could very well be at the beginning of a long period of eye twitching... which would be exceedingly obnoxious, but positively not fatal or debilitating.

In my 2+ year journey, my eye areas have twitched way less than just about any other muscle in my body. I'll get a twitchy eye every few months or so, but it usually lasts a day or two until I've caught up on sleep or cut my caffeine intake. I did have a twitch between my eyes across the bridge of my nose for 2-3 months, and that was perhaps the most aggravating symptom I've had since this all began, so I feel for you. But, at the end of the day, twitchy eye has killed absolutely zero people.
pdodge715

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group