EMG and NCS next week

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG and NCS next week

Postby ucdguy88 on July 20th, 2014, 12:59 am

Hi All,

So after having some strange new hotspots for the past month and having a relapse, I saw a new neuro. I had my CK levels tested by my GP and they were at 887 and thats what got me the referral. I went to him, he tested my reflexes and strength and all seemed normal to him. He said to me "what you have is probably what we like to call peripheral nerve hyperexcitability or benign fasciculation cramp syndrome" he calmed me down and asked me if I wanted an EMG even though he thinks it isn't necessary, it would give me piece of mind. I agreed and then he said that after the EMG results and seeing if i have the voltage gated antibody test, he would like to start me on carbazemapine. He also had my CK levels re-tested because i had been working out when they were at 887 and guess what, not working out for a week? 126! normal! Wish me luck on my upcoming test
ucdguy88

Re: EMG and NCS next week

Postby readytocheckout on July 20th, 2014, 2:05 am

I just had one of the OMG moments when I read
ucdguy88 wrote:I had my CK levels tested by my GP and they were at 887

But right at the end I see
ucdguy88 wrote:not working out for a week? 126!

Geez this BFS stuff play can with the mind. I sure can relate to your relapse. I seem to have a relapse during a relapse lately. Anyway I wish you all the very best for your tests next week.
I wish someone could invent a Holter EMG monitor, that would be awesome, I'd buy one yesterday.
readytocheckout

Postby ucdguy88 on July 20th, 2014, 2:21 am

Oh I know! Yeah they were up because of lifting weights. He even said thats what causes it usually and not to be alarmed. and presto, not working out for a week and back to normal
ucdguy88

Postby Nytviolet on July 20th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Howdy! I've been twitching for 17 years (18 this Fall). When they first began I also had horrible fatigue, bladder issue and my arms and legs felt weak, but it got much better after I realized it wasn't ***. I never had an EMG but did have a total of 4 clinical exams and MRI which were fine. Since about mid-May this year, I also felt my left arm and leg feel weird and I have perceived weakness and noticed what looks like changes to my left ankle area. I also have twitches when using the keyboard at work and sharp shooting pains in wrist/hand. Went through a major panic attack and saw my doctor who ordered X-ray of c-spine and t-spine. Not surprisingly the films showed serious problems in the cervical spine and I see an ortho on 7/25. I also have been dx'd with Fibro for over 10 years. I guess my point is that NOT EVERYTHING IS RELATED TO BFS. We try to play medical detective and group our symptoms together on search engines (e.g. twitching, weak arm, coordination problems, etc) and we scare ourselves silly. Fibromyalgia affects millions of people AND can cause muscle weakness, twitches, coordination issues, pain, and a host of other unpleasant symptoms. You should check out their board -- there are a lot of folks that share our same issues! I've thought about getting an EMG, but (even if it were slightly dirty) it would send me into a tailspin of fear and worry. In my case, anxiety definitely worsens all my symptoms. You've had clean EMG's and are (neurologically) perfect. Look down other avenues like Fibro or myofascial syndrome and give you body time to reboot. Our minds can be our own worst enemies at times. Frankly, I'm just tired of thinking about this and my anxiety is once again starting to burn itself out...yours will too. Also, consider an evaluation of your spine -- you could very well have nerve entrapment -- very common. Best Wishes
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group