Widespread Twitching for Over a Year

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Widespread Twitching for Over a Year

Postby mario on June 28th, 2014, 11:31 am

Hello All,

I have been reading this forum for over a year and finally decided to share my story with everyone.

I am 28 years old. Over a year ago (14 months) I noticed a constant twitching in my right thumb. After a few weeks I went to my GP. He made me do a lot of funny neuro tests (touching my nose rapidly, pull this, push that ect.) and quickly dismissed it as nothing. After another few weeks it continued but I noticed twitching all over. I panicked and went online to research. I'm sure you all know where that lead.

I went back to my doc and he ran all kinds of tests including tests for lyme over the next month and mentioned everything came back normal. He said he would refer me to a neurologist if it would make me feel better since my anxiety was getting so bad I couldn't eat or sleep.

While waiting to see the neuro, I noticed all kinds of symptoms. Ringing in my ears, tremors that would wake me up while sleeping, muscle fatigue, increased twitching, neck/back pain, random sharp pains, numbness and pain at the same time in my feet, and increased anxiety. I still get all these from time to time today.

I finally got into a neuro at the cleveland clinic. He did a neuro exam and said everything was normal. He also mentioned he would do an EMG to reassure me but it was not needed. I did the EMG (on the entire left side of my body) and he called and only said "No signs of MND". Diagnosis was benign fasiculations.

I followed up/got a second opinion 2 months later from a local neuro. He did a neuro exam and said everything was normal, even though I showed positive Hoffman in both hands (I just noticed this... He did not mention it to me) and agreed with the other neuros diagnosis of benign fasiculations. I was told there was no need to come back to him and to just follow up with GP.

Its been over a year now and twitching has increased but no crazy new symptoms... Yet. I saw my GP about a month ago and he keeps asking me to come back every 3 months for a checkup. He made a curious comment the other day saying that he would be lying if he said he wasn't concerned these have lasted so long, but he didn't see anything pathological.

So that's everything up until today. What do you guys think? bfs?

I also have a few random questions for all of you.

1. How often do you get a muscle twitch. Recently mine have been every few seconds which worries me. These twitches are EVERYWHERE from top of my head to my feet.
2. Do you get ringing in your ears and sharp pains?
3. I have seen a lot of people mention they have had an MRI. I've never had one of these. Should I ask my doctor about getting one done? Plus I see people do this to test for MS but my neuro said twitching isn't a sign of MS.

I would like to thank all of you who have been posting in this forum. It has helped guide me through this difficult time more than you all will ever know.
mario

Re: Widespread Twitching for Over a Year

Postby johnnythejet on June 28th, 2014, 4:59 pm

mario wrote:So that's everything up until today. What do you guys think? bfs?

BFS. I would bet my life on it.

mario wrote:1. How often do you get a muscle twitch. Recently mine have been every few seconds which worries me. These twitches are EVERYWHERE from top of my head to my feet.
2. Do you get ringing in your ears and sharp pains?
3. I have seen a lot of people mention they have had an MRI. I've never had one of these. Should I ask my doctor about getting one done? Plus I see people do this to test for MS but my neuro said twitching isn't a sign of MS.

1. I've been twitching for about 10 years. When at my peak I tracked my twitching many times and I never counted more than 8 seconds between twitches. Some people twitch less than me, and some people twitch MUCH more than me. Your case seems very typical....not that any level of twitching should be cause for worry. Twitches are meaningless.
2. Yes, I've experienced tinnitus and sharp ear pains many times over the years. Many others have reported this as well. Use the search tool for "tinnitus" and you'll find many discussions. No worries.
3. The truth is that 95% of us never really needed to see a neuro. Much like yourself, my GP WISELY dismissed my symptoms as "nothing to worry about" but told me he'd refer me to a neuro to make me feel better. Neuro then ordered the EMG and MRI to put my mind at ease. In reality, ALL of this crap (the neuro visit, EMG, MRI, other tests) were a waste of time and served little more than as a TEMPORARY means to make my mind feel at ease. Should you ask your doctor for an MRI? My response would be "Why should you?" If you were to ask for an MRI, where does it stop? You might as well ask for every other diagnostic test to rule out every possible disease your pockets can afford. None of those tests are justified based on your symptoms, so its really just a matter of how much money, time, and energy you want to waste. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 29th, 2014, 12:14 am

If you were to ask for an MRI, where does it stop?

sometimes I think it is good we do not have open brain surgery as a option to exclude any diagnosis we may think we have... otherwise who knows how many of us would insist on that... Finally some of us had quite invasive and risky spinal tap...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group