ALS fear rearing its head again.

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

ALS fear rearing its head again.

Postby Arkansan on June 20th, 2014, 4:56 pm

For the past while I have really felt like I conquered my fear of ALS. Now it is back with a vengeance. It started with the tightness around my right knee and the increase in twitching on that side, now I am having regular twitches in both my legs, mostly in the calves. I also have a crawling sensation in my legs some. Worst of all is this weird transitional pain I have, it feels like a dull ache that pulses up and then goes back down. The ache thing will be in a spot on my calves one second and then in another second be in my wrist or hand or some other place on a leg. I am afraid those aches are actually cramps. When I feel of the aching spot the muscle feels relaxed with no unusual tension, and I don't seem to have any trouble moving the limb when those pains are present. Does this sound like cramps to everyone?
I also have a great deal of soreness in the muscles in my legs, like tender to the touch. To top all of that off I get some random tingling everywhere from my toes to my tongue sometimes. I am still having twitches all over, but they are mostly in my legs now with the odd one on my arms, face, or scalp.

Does this sound worrisome to y'all? Anyone else have similar symptoms? I could really stand to talk this one out, because everyone around me just rolls their eyes and ignores me.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: ALS fear rearing its head again.

Postby Red Raider on June 21st, 2014, 12:00 am

I'm new to this forum but been having problem for along time my friend. Everything you said sound just like a normal BFSer ok you will know if you get a cramp friend you won't be able to move trust me. I get sore spots in my legs like quarter size spots and then it switches to the other leg. Hey and your having pain and twitching all over very good sign I know it hurts and worry some but good sign ALS typically has no pain just weakness creeping in man. I'm no doctor but your fine you got yourself worked up which happens all the time to me and *beep* just goes south. Distract yourself do something you enjoy doing this is what I do I get worried when I don't twitch because if I'm twitching all over means everything is working now if I get weak and localized twitching I might start to worry but weakness is the key my friend.

Take care hit me up if you need to vent or talk ok.
Red Raider

Postby Arkansan on June 21st, 2014, 1:04 am

Thanks for taking time to answer. It helps to talk it out with other that know what its like. When you have the spots of pain are they just in you legs or your arms as well? Mine will bounce around my legs and arms, like a leg one second and then a finger the next. Sometimes I wonder if BFS is related to fibromyalgia, the people in my family with fibro says that it sounds similar to them. Also do you have days where you twitches seems to focus on one side of the body?

Thanks for the offer to talk. I may have to take you up on it from time to time, feel free to do the same with me.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Red Raider on June 21st, 2014, 4:00 am

It seems I get most of mine on the right side, but I also get them everywhere. Your question to the pain spots I get them in my arms, forearms, legs, neck, forehead, brother you name I get them there. My fingers ache on me all the time I find it hard to open my right hand and close it. It feels weak all the time and feels fat strange very strange. Could it be related to Fibro I went to a rheumy and he told me I had nothing to be concerned about arthritis wise so who knows but I wake up every morning scared to death my hand is just going to quit working. I have mild ulnar neurapathy in my right arm and that was in Febraury so maybe it has gotten worse I don't know I go see a ortho on Monday for my hand so I will wait and see what he says. Take care buddy hit me back.

Houston
Red Raider

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group