Volitional cramping?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Volitional cramping?

Postby twitcherHH on June 18th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Hi!

My twitching has gotten a lot worse in the last year after 6 years of fasciculations. What worries my is that I can now induce cramps early in the morning after I wake up. This morning I got a painful cramp on the outside of my lower leg by stretching my leg.

Has anyone experienced this? Google says "Cramping can be associated with ALS. This cramping is called volitional cramping. It may occur as the patient turns in bed during the early morning hours. It is a sign of lower motor neuron disease."
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Volitional cramping?

Postby johnnythejet on June 18th, 2014, 11:57 pm

twitcherHH-
Cramping is quite common among BFSers, and even non-BFSers. I can't possibly count how many cramps I've induced via stretching in my legs, feet, neck and other areas. This can happen in the morning or at other times of the day. I know plenty of people who experience the same symptoms in everyday life, those people being non-twitchers (family and friends). Also, please consider these suggestions:
1. Stop googling about ALS or anything other diseases (you should know this already).
2. If you are foolish enough to violate #1, please please please don't share these things on these forums. This can and will cause a lot of unnecessary fear among newbies who don't know any better.

Thanks.

PS - I seem to remember you mentioning in the past that you went gluten-free for a period. If my memory served me correctly, does this mean gluten-free diet didn't cure your BFS?
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 19th, 2014, 12:00 am

holy crap I have it transitional for years. definitely did not developed ALS till now.

dont you know that Dr Google never had a medical degree? and that it did not see you in person?
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby twitcherHH on June 19th, 2014, 12:43 am

Hi!

I don't know how I could describe my worries without quoting that article, sorry. That text even goes on to say "The differential for your constellation of symptoms is broad and includes radiculopathy (compression of nerve roots caused by structural abnormality of the back), fibromyalgia (diffuse muscle aches and pains), metabolic (as already mentioned), lifestyle (too much caffeine, anxiety/stress), etc".

But my question is really: I only get these cramps directly after waking up. Not during the day, they stop after I get up and walk to the bathroom. And my twitching is also at its worst after waking up. Can anybody relate?
twitcherHH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on June 19th, 2014, 1:45 am

hey, the article clearly says: BROAD DIFFERENTIAL - no.1, then just estimate - radiculopaties are 8 cases per 1000 per year (almost 1 per 100), ALS is 2 cases per 100 000 - do you feel at least 1000 times difference in chances? - no.2 and other so much benign reasons, so WHY did you claimed yourself as only having ALS? I know that anxiety switches criticality off, but please consider that other cases are purely benign and you may have one of them rather than ALS just by stats not saying about the symptom constellations itself.

If you have exclusively morning cramps, this may mean most probably either mildest lumbar issues (usually lumbar issues are worsening overnight due to position of lower back), or you have mild circulation issues which cause spasms of micro vessels in the calves, causing cramps in the calves and feet, much like in the cold water.

waking up means a real hormonal and homeostasis burst, so no wonder you have daily flareup in the morning.

listen, you have 6 years of twitching and light morning cramps which are common for many bening conditions. Nothing more really.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on June 19th, 2014, 7:09 am

twitcherHH wrote:Hi!

I don't know how I could describe my worries without quoting that article, sorry. That text even goes on to say "The differential for your constellation of symptoms is broad and includes radiculopathy (compression of nerve roots caused by structural abnormality of the back), fibromyalgia (diffuse muscle aches and pains), metabolic (as already mentioned), lifestyle (too much caffeine, anxiety/stress), etc".

But my question is really: I only get these cramps directly after waking up. Not during the day, they stop after I get up and walk to the bathroom. And my twitching is also at its worst after waking up. Can anybody relate?

Every bit. The reason why its mainly nocturnal and early morning is because you need too warm up and reduce the stiffness and tightness, Once your up and about its eases.
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby nrwtwitcher on June 19th, 2014, 7:16 am

I am cramping every day in my feet, toes (also by walking and standing during the day) and calves (mainly by streching in the morning) and today my right thigh is cramping. That scares me.
nrwtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby German2 on July 5th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Just to give you an example that morning cramps in legs belong to a lot of pictures: It is one identifiying symptom with hashimoto, too. I have this since ages...Never thought of it as a symptom of ***. Already when I was a child I could not to every sports due to cramping in feet. It did not change or get worse since I am twitching. But it belongs to me...
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group