One side worse than other (excluding twitch)

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: One side worse than other (excluding twitch)

Postby Yuliasir on June 19th, 2014, 2:24 am

Usually (for most common cases) they wake up healthy and then just during the day find they suddenly can not use fingers etc. This type of onset is described many times. One of the fellows here described her aunt died with bulbar onset - she went to bed health and woke up unable to speak clearly so she decided she got a stroke overnight but it was ALS... One of the recently joined fellows had her mother died from ALS in several months, and this case was like his mother had started with heavily dropping things and in few weeks she was paralysed... If they have eventual development, it is anyway very quick (days or weeks and never months and years).

remember the rule of thumb for ALS - FAILING NOT FEELING.

percieved weakness never restrict you from action. clinical weakness limits you or clearly prevents from action.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Krisztina86 on June 19th, 2014, 2:58 am

Sadface,
my mother was diagnosed in ALS, it was limb onset (her feet first), and I can say, once she was running after my little girl in our garden, next month (3-4 weeks later) she was visibly dragging her feet, tripped and fell, again and again. So within a short time, she had severe clinical weakness. Twitching started well after this, on nearly completely useless limbs.
Krisztina86
Interested
Interested

Postby Sadface on June 19th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I think it's when I read ALS stories and people have said "it started with just..."
That's where I think "oh crap"

I'm very sorry to hear that your mum has ALS. Have you come onto this site because of your experiences, or due to having bfs yourself?
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Krisztina86 on June 20th, 2014, 11:28 am

Some other members and me have relatives with ALS, then had twitches.
I started twitching 6 weeks after my mom's dxd. At that time our family was coping with several other issues, so I was very close to a total mental breakdown.
I created my theory about familial (inherited) ALS and insisted on it. The neuro was not really interested, as there are no relatives in my family with ALS.
Now 14 months have passed (I forget to post at my 1yr anniversary), ans twitches and bizarre sensations come and go. I do not have clinical weakness, I do everything normally, so after this time I accepted it is really BFS, caused by googling ALS stories, health anxiety, extreme overload, grief etc etc.
Krisztina86
Interested
Interested

Postby Krisztina86 on June 20th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I my left side is also far worse than the right side (sensations, perceived weakness, twitching). My twitches started at my right foot 14 months ago, since then the pattern of twitches have changed several times (scared me to death). For 6 months my left side is more affected.
Krisztina86
Interested
Interested

Postby Sadface on June 20th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I hate moaning and grieving for something I may not even have!!!
Fed up with watching my body twitch.
I go for a walk and my leg gets tight sensations!
I feel like it never gives me a break!
I read als sites over and over! I read the words twitches and soar muscles, and I nearly throw up!
I watched a programme about a 30yr old dying if it.
Feel so negative.

Maybe GP is required :-/
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on June 20th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Then I feel guilty because people actually have diagnoised als
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Sadface on June 22nd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Can I ask, is this weakness:
1) being able to walk but due to discomforting leg,regar rests required
2)wearing heals: being able to walk: however, ankles and topof foot the next day feel bruised and soar
3) crouching: able to do but thigh aches and feels bruised

Thank you for preservering with me x
Sadface
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nytviolet on July 8th, 2014, 3:14 pm

You sound like my twin. My symptoms are all worse on the left. My left shoulder blade aches as does my left bicep, forearm and even wrist. I have much more twitching on the arch of my left foot, and it often aches/burns when I'm walking on it. My left side just feels weaker (although there's no true loss of strength, just feels weird. When I'm working on the computer at my job, my left arm aches and I often see. I sinks teitching. I'm under a lot of stress right now, and also have Fibro which can cause fatigue and pain...I'm literally getting to the point where I'm just tired of worrying about it. I have strong faith, and I have been praying for peace and joy in my life again. It's not healthy for us to live in fear every day, and it's wearing my poor body down. I'm sure that you have a spinal problem (curvature, disk problem etc) that could account for the left side suffering g worse. You're in my prayers (as is everyone on this board), and I can chat if u wish to PM me. Be well! Hugs
2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Nytviolet
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Support Group