Paresthesia, Buzzing, Numbness

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Paresthesia, Buzzing, Numbness

Postby trustme78 on June 8th, 2014, 11:55 am

Hello,
this is my introduction in this forums. I have used the search function a lot over the last week or so since finding it and it lifted a lot of burden from my shoulders. I would like to write a post to describe my symptoms so maybe others will benefit from my information as well. Hope that's ok :-)

I am male, caucasian and 35 - from Austria (for the statistics).

Well, where should I start. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing that my arms go numb over night. Especially the pinky finger and the ring finger. I did a google search and ended up with a self-diagnosed sulcus ulnaris syndrome. I didn't really stop googling there and got more and more anxious. Suddenly I developed a burning sensation on the back of my hands. I remember lying in bed in the afternoon and feeling this intense burn like I had spilled hot water over my hands. Of course I googled it and ended up in an MS forum where some posted something a long the lines that his illness started with this burning sensation on the back of his hands. That was all I needed. At this point I panicked and started to drag in friends and family. I made an appointment with a neurologist and she suspected some problem in my neck. We talked for an hour and she did a physical exam, tested reflexes, strength etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. She ordered an MRI of my neck and told me that she wouldn't suspect MS at all.

I got one some days later. In the meantime the burning sensation (paresthesia) got a lot worse. It appeared and disappeared at various parts on my body. Feet, hands, arms, legs, calves, my butt. One time even my nipples burned. Usually on both sides - so symmetric pain. I got the MRI and it was clear. I told her about my skin burning all the time and she said it's probably stress or anxiety but we should do an MRI of my brain so she could put a picture on the table and tell me that I don't have anything serious. I got an appointment for another MRI.

I went home to my parents' place over the weekend, felt the burn again and some numbness in my fingers, panicked again and went to the ER (this was before my brain MRI). I told the neurologist there everything and he understood my anxiety and I stayed at the hospital for the night. Next day they did extensive testing, brain MRI, EMG, some test where they measure the speed of your nerves with electrical shocks or something, some optical nerve test where you have to stare at a computer screen with a chessboard pattern and a moving box with cables attached to your head, blood work and half an hour with a therapist who tested me for clumsiness and whether I could feel small needles with my fingertips.

I remember waiting in the hospital room in the afternoon with my family and my gf after having convinced them that I had MS and they would show up anytime now with the diagnosis. Well the neurologist showed up and told me that everything was fine except a very mild version of Sulcus Ulnaris in my right arm. Brain MRI etc. was clear and there is nothing that made them suspect I had some serious illness like MS.

I went home, relieved in a way. Went to my original neurologist and told her that I was in the hospital in the meantime. She looked at the results and told me again that I need to accept that I don't have a serious illness. The doctor at the hospital actually had diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder.

This was three weeks ago. The burning got better. It feels more distant now but is still there for a couple of hours a day. I noticed that I twitch quite often in various parts of my body and I had a very strange buzzing feeling in my right foot. Like a mobile phone going of every 2 seconds, constantly. Nothing I could spot with my eyes but I could feel it on my sole. brrr .... brrrr .... brrrr .... like a trapped bug . Drove me crazy.

I had this for two or three days more or less constantly and now it comes and goes. In addition I have the impression that my finger tips - especially my thumbs are a little numb.

My neurologist got me Trittico (Trazodone in the US?) against my anxiety. She told me that about 75% of her patients under 40 years of age show up with similar symptoms and that I need to accept that everything is benign and it will go away eventually. I have a follow up appointment in 3 months. If the symptoms still persist we will try another medication.

I am in a mild form of depression right now. Some distant part of me still believes I have MS and that it just doesn't show in the MRI yet. A part of me knows that tis is irrational and that I have a clean bill of health from 4 neurologists and experts in the field but still I have this mental countdown in my head ... 7 years to go until I "believe" it.

Another thing I would like to mention. I don't eat a lot of sugar or carbs in general. Sometimes I overdid it with McD or an ice cream binge session with my gf but I usually eat health stuff. I was surprised that on various blood tests I had in the last weeks my blood glucose levels checked out abnormally high (110 and 138) - both in a fasted state. No doctor thought anything about it because I am slim and fit. They just said that I should have it checked at some point in the future. I mentioned something along the lines of neuropathy because of diabetes but I got the answer: "You don't have neuropathy STOP GOOGLING!".

So here I am. I have good days where I think everything is fine, I have bad nights where I am convinced everything is not fine and I will end up in a wheelchair. I try to stop the internet searching because it doesn't help me at all. Instead I took up meditation and some supplementation (B12, Q10, alpha-lipoic acid) but I am far away from being the person I used to be.

Thanks for listening.
trustme78

Re: Paresthesia, Buzzing, Numbness

Postby Mark1369 on June 8th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Hi Trustme,

I too experience similar issues. For me is started with the buzzing and twitches and the tingling and numbness came on later. The way you described it is almost identical to what I feel. It has been almost a year (it will be a year next month) and I too saw a couple of neuro's and a few docs. I've had a clean MRI - two clean EMGs etc etc...

Trust me (no pun intended) you are in a boat with a lot of people - you just need to accept that it is benign and learn to ignore it. Easier said than done but the less power you give it, the less impact it will have. Everything you have described sounds like what we all deal with on a day in and day out basis - nothing sinister - just aggravating and annoying as hell.

Good luck and occupy your time with activities, family and friends. It will decrease over time. Hopefully for me and all of us at some point it will go away.
Mark1369
Interested
Interested

Postby leaflea on June 8th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Ditto to what Mark 1369 said. To add - temporary rises in blood sugar can be caused by STRESS/anxiety or pain. I know the common refrain....stress blah, blah, blah. But its true. Apparently.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on June 8th, 2014, 11:53 pm

Hi
as mayby fellows here know, I have generalised anxiety disorder since I am 6yo. Now I am 44. All what I can say is that it HAS to be accepted and treated.

Clinically symptomatic MS (with parestesias etc) could not be missed on MRI, nerve conduction test and visual evoked potential test which you all passes with normal results. JUST COULD NOT BE MISSED ON THREE TESTS IN A ROW. I want you to get this clear as 2 x 2 = 4.

In case of MS paresthesias are not migrating. They are strong, getting worse and usually confined to the limb or body part affected by specific lesion.
abd you do not need 7 year to count down/

well, you may google. Just google the right disorder - your own, anxiety. You will find a tons of stories about people wasting their lives waiting it would go away looking for non-existing disorders and some even inventing new ones like margellon disease... and you will find tos of stories about people who did their "Dracula quest" as I sometimes call it - to find and fight internal vampire sucking out their blood of life and good reason making them also a kind of vampires - pale, lifeless, moaning in the night, screaming at the day, always in the shadow, in the dark.

Anxiety and depression are treatable.
People NEED to be sick sometimes, it is essential need - to be weak, to be treated, to feel ill. Anxiety disorder is that "blessed" sickness - very serious. by the way, and extremely life-consuming, and having it is not less damaging than having MS nowadays by the way (most cases of MS while properly treated did not restrict the patinets from normal and even extra active life, while advanced anxiety disorder may disable a person till the loss of job, personal life, and even mobility). So do not think that you are not sick. You are, well enough - and need to put your powers at the right angle.

Anxiety is treatable with meds and psychotherapy and a lifestyle change.
It is treatable.
Believe me.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby trustme78 on June 10th, 2014, 2:20 am

Thanks everyone for the uplifiting words and the support! It's very much appreciated.

Volkmar
trustme78

Postby trustme78 on July 11th, 2014, 5:43 am

well, just wanted to give a quick update. I have found "continuing" stories of others (with happy endings) very helpful so I would like to contribute how things are going for me.

Regarding symptoms: In the beginning (some months ago when all of this started) I didn't really feel at home here because my main thing was paresthesia (a burning sensation all over my body that came and went). It appeared every day with certain hotspots (like my arms and hands). Then the buzzing in my right foot started. This brought me here. And now - weeks after my paresthesia and MS scare - the twitching finally got me. My calves pop along happily (and visibly), the vibration in the arch of my foot decreased a lot. It still comes from time to time but not as intense as before. Oh, and my left eye lid twitches as well. I read about that before and thought that would pretty much ruin my day but it's not really an issue. Besides that I get random twitches all over - like 10 - 20 twitches in the shoulder one day. Next day something else. Just now my triceps twitched two or three times.

I am seeing a shrink which helps a lot. Quite expensive and I do most of the talking but she asks smart questions and the whole ordeal has decreased my anxiety a lot. Regarding the buzzing in my foot - my neurologist wants to see me again in the autumn, maybe for another EMG and a NVC (nerve velocity?). Don't know. I have no weakness or any other problems, just the twitching that flares up with exercise. And I can self induce cramps in my calves sometimes (don't know if that statement makes sense). The burning got a lot better. It came with such a regularity that I didn't really expect it to subside but it really did (well, at least it's 90% better).

Of course - like so many of you - I constantly find myself walking on my heels and toes and generally testing myself. Excerise is quite important for me so I am a little afraid that my exercise tolerance goes down because there is a clear link between my symptoms and when I work out.

Will check in again!
Take care
Volkmar
trustme78

Postby Pascal35 on August 11th, 2014, 5:21 am

Hi Volkmar,

Wanted to mentioned that i also started with an MS fear 9 months ago and then twitching started.... You can read several of my posts to see where i currently stand but i am sure stress and panic explodes all those symptoms. We need to try and relax and get out of our mind that this could be the beginning of a serious illness.
I read an interesting article which states that Fasciculations in men under 40 (i am 36) is almost never a presenting symptom for ALS.
And instead of accepting it and moving on i am doing the exactly opposite. I am getting new "symptoms" with speech issues and masseter muscles tiredness...
I am glad at least i had a tongue EMG's a few weeks ago so i am bit more relaxed....
So you can see you are not alone out there...Keep well and lets continue exchanging valuable information...

Regards
Pascal35
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group