In a panic :(

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

In a panic :(

Postby hpc on May 31st, 2014, 9:05 am

Sorry to bother everyone but i am in a bit of a panic and it's weird but I feel i cant talk to anyone about it...

I started twitching in 2003
Had Neuro appt and EMG in 2004 - he saw fasics, gave me all clear and said BFS
Twitches have waxed and waned over the years - sometimes i think they're gone other times they're worse than ever
In january/Feb of this year they returned with a bang. My right arm has been my main concern/focus...my thumb twitches a lot and has the feeling of cramping in many positions. When i type or hold mouse it really aggravates it.
Anyway just this past week I was feeling so much better - it's been 3 months since I first went (back) to GP about them so I am starting to feel huge relief they haven't necessarily gotten worse in this time and no real other symptoms.
However yesterday I dont know what happened but they were sooo bad in work. Last night I was looking at my foot and I realised the arch of my foot is twitching non stop. I didnt even realised it was twitching. It's still going this morning. Literally every few seconds in different places along the arch/under foot. (also going on left arch but less frequently) are just popping/flickering away. Very very slight - you have to look closely to see it. I thought it was my pulse initially they're that faint.
Its given me that horrible sick/pit of stomach feeling again :( Im in a spin. The thing is I am heading away in the morning for a week with my gorgeous family and I really really dont want to ruin yet another holiday with my anxiety and total preoccupation.
Is this just me and my BFS? It has to be - it's been 10+years. God I should know this by now. Why can't I control my thoughts.
It scares me that I couldnt/can't really feel the arch of feet ones. Any one else have these/know what I mean?
I feel like I am probably twitching everywhere to some degree but unable to see them? Ugh :(

Thanks.
hpc
Interested
Interested

Re: In a panic :(

Postby ShawnW on May 31st, 2014, 9:10 am

Nothing you said remotely concerns me. Why is your case different than anyone elses here? I get all sorts of twitches from strong move a limb ones to slight ones I can barely see or feel. I get hot spots for days...many here get them for months and even years. You know as well as I do that twitches in isolation mean nothing. Personally, I would ask your GP for a thorough neuro exam and if reflexes, strength are ok I would mark it down as a flare up of your BFS.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby hpc on May 31st, 2014, 10:34 am

Thank you very much for your reply.
I saw a GP in Feb who checked strength reflexes etc, she sent me off no concerns. Saw another GP in March who said my reflexes were a bit brisk and more so on the right side. I freaked at this but she assured me she wasnt in any way concerned. My sister who is a doctor checked my reflexes and strength a few weeks back and she didnt think they were brisk. So! Let it go I guess.
I am v sorry for going on and on. I just get consumed and frozen with fear.
Thanks again for your reply and reassuring words.
hpc
Interested
Interested

Postby ShawnW on May 31st, 2014, 11:18 am

hpc wrote:Thank you very much for your reply.
I saw a GP in Feb who checked strength reflexes etc, she sent me off no concerns. Saw another GP in March who said my reflexes were a bit brisk and more so on the right side. I freaked at this but she assured me she wasnt in any way concerned. My sister who is a doctor checked my reflexes and strength a few weeks back and she didnt think they were brisk. So! Let it go I guess.
I am v sorry for going on and on. I just get consumed and frozen with fear.
Thanks again for your reply and reassuring words.

Brisk reflexes are normal reflexes unless obviously asymmetrical and/or have pathological reflexes/clonus. Many people have some slight asymmetry especially if they have had some low back issues.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby J4son on May 31st, 2014, 1:22 pm

hpc wrote:
However yesterday I dont know what happened but they were sooo bad in work. Last night I was looking at my foot and I realised the arch of my foot is twitching non stop. I didnt even realised it was twitching. It's still going this morning. Literally every few seconds in different places along the arch/under foot. (also going on left arch but less frequently) are just popping/flickering away. Very very slight - you have to look closely to see it. I thought it was my pulse initially they're that faint.
Its given me that horrible sick/pit of stomach feeling again :( Im in a spin. The thing is I am heading away in the morning for a week with my gorgeous family and I really really dont want to ruin yet another holiday with my anxiety and total preoccupation.
Is this just me and my BFS? It has to be - it's been 10+years. God I should know this by now. Why can't I control my thoughts.
It scares me that I couldnt/can't really feel the arch of feet ones. Any one else have these/know what I mean?
I feel like I am probably twitching everywhere to some degree but unable to see them? Ugh :(

Thanks.

There is a study that was mentioned several times on this board, where 25 healthy subjects, normal people , not BFS sufferers were checked for fasciculation in their feet. All of them, not 95%, not 99%, all of them (100%) had fasciculation is the arch of their feet. Some at the rate of 100 fascis per minute. And again we are talking here about normal individuals not BFS or ALS sufferers. So, Could you tell me why you should be different and why in your case and after 10 years it would be the sign of a motor neuron disease?

(here the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18589&p=139280&hilit=+per+minute+#p139280)
J4son
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on May 31st, 2014, 1:27 pm

Agree with j4son.
before you decided to have a look, you even did not had an idea you are twitching. AND? After 10 years in BFS how this non-damaging twitching could become damaging just becasue you recognized your twitching???
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby hpc on May 31st, 2014, 4:04 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply guys.

I cannot believe that study re fasics in feet!

It's funny, I am almost a little embarrassed now that I posted earlier. I mean I should be able to deal with this myself by now. Sometimes when I am having a panic I do and say things that, on reflection, are a bit embarrassing. It's almost like Ive been drinking and then I wake up the next morning and think 'Oh...why did I say/do that'.
It's very clear to me that I have significant (health) anxiety issues that I need to get sorted.
Believe me, over the decade, if it's not been the twitches, its been something else health related to needlessly worry about.

My feet popping away means nothing. It's the same as they were doing one day in 2004 when I showed my (somewhat shocked!) friends in my bedroom.
I also realised earlier after I'd posted that I had worn a new pair of heels on Thursday so I am sure that strained my arches a little hence the flare up?

Anyway, thanks again for posting replies and apologies if I've irritated anyone. Don't know who/where you are but you've helped. Hope I can return the favour.

Thanks again
hpc
Interested
Interested

Postby hpc on May 31st, 2014, 4:05 pm

God I just re read my post and I sound a bit like a lunatic, I am a very normal person (mostly!) ...promise! :)
hpc
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group