Not really the clean EMG result i was hoping for ?

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Not really the clean EMG result i was hoping for ?

Postby Nathan75 on May 28th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Hi.

After 11 long days i finally got my EMG results back today. I'm not sure i really understand what the results show, so i am hoping that some members on this site can shed some light on them. I really should of asked more questions when i was getting the results but i just went into a massive panic when the doctor said i have to have more tests done.

Here is the EMG results in full....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOTOR NERVE CONDUCTION:
-------------------------------------

Peroneal.R
--------------
Ankle ------ Latency - 8.1 ms / Amplitude - 1.1 mV / Conduction Velocity - m/s
Fibular (head) ------- Latency - 17.8 ms / Amplitude - 0.9 mV / Conduction Velocity - 36 m/s

Tibial.R
----------
Ankle ---------- Latency - 4.4 ms / Amplitude - 23.2 mV / Conduction Velocity - m/s

Peroneal.L
---------------
Ankle ---------- Latency - 4.3 ms / Amplitude - 3.5 mV / Conduction Velocity - m/s

Median(APB).R
------------------
Wrist ----------- Latency - 3.9 ms / Amplitude - 7.8 mV / Conduction Velocity - m/s
Elbow --------- Latency - 8.1 ms / Amplitude - 7.9 mV / Conduction Velocity - 62 m/s

SENSORY NERVE CONDUCTION:
---------------------------------------
Sural.R
----------
Lower leg ----------- Onset Latency - 2.2 ms / Peak Latency - 3.0 ms / Amplitude - 16 uV / Conduction Velocity - 45 m/s

Median.R
-----------
Digit III (long finger) ----- Onset Latency - 2.5 ms / Peak Latency - 3.0 ms / Amplitude - 20 uV / Conduction Velocity - 52 m/s
Mid Palm (median) ------- Onset Latency - 1.5 ms / Peak Latency - 1.9 ms / Amplitude - 115 uV / Conduction Velocity - 53 m/s

Ulnar.R
-----------
Digit V (little finger) --------- Onset Latency - 2.2 ms / Peak Latency - 2.8 ms / Amplitude - 10 uV / Conduction Velocity - 45 m/s

F-Wave Studies
-------------------

NERVE
--------
Peroneal.R ------ F-Latency - 67.4
Tibial.R --------- F-Latency - 52.6
Peroneal.L ------- F-Latency - 56.8

EMG
------

Right Deltoid: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Rapid recruitment during weak contraction to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right Biceps: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Irregular recruitment to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right Ext Dig Comm: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Rapid recruitment during week contraction to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right IDIO: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Irregular recruitment to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right Iliopsoas: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Rapid recruitment during weak contraction to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right Rectus Femoris: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Rapid recruitment during weak contraction to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Right Tibialis Anterior: No spontaneous activity. Individual motor units of normal appearence Occasional polyphasic units. Normal recruitment to a full pattern to Rapid recruitment during weak contraction to a 3mV.

Left Tibialis Anterior: No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units. Rapid recruitment during weak contraction to a full interference pattern to 3mV.

Left Gastroc (med head): No spontaneous activity. Occasional polyphasic units.

Comments:
--------------

Apart from small CMAPs from right EDB, normal nerve conduction studies.
No evidence found for generalised peripheral neuropathy.
EMG from all sampled muscles showed occasional polyphasic units and hints of rapid recruitment. These anomalies are rather a nonspecific abnormality rather than a definite myopathic process, but it may be prudent to check CK and consider muscle biopsy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so that's my EMG results.

As you can imagine i am really really worried now as i have to have a bloodtest tomorrow to check my CK levels, And also it looks like i may need to have a muscle biopsy.

I have to be honest and say that even though my anxiety levels have dropped i haven't been sleeping at all well for weeks now (waking every hour), i still have quite a bit of cramp like pains, and also random muscle twitches. I've also noticed that the twitches in my muscles seem to get much worse when i am pressing on them, or leaning on them in bed etc. I know this is not a good sign and things are really starting to look pretty grim. Also i seem to be shaking (tremors) a lot again just recently (again more apparent, but not exclusively when i apply pressure on my leg/arm etc). I have also noticed urine frequency, and also a lack of saliva. Not sure if any of that is related but just thought i would mention all my symptoms.

Are there any members on this site who understand my EMG results? If so, I really would appreciate it if they could take the time out to comment (whether it be good or bad)

Many thanks.

Nathan.
Last edited by Nathan75 on May 28th, 2014, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan75

Re: Not really the clean EMG result i was hoping for ?

Postby BFSBurger on May 28th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I can't read your results, but I can tell you something 100% factual.

There are many conditions (including ones that self-correct over time) that can cause an abnormal EMG.

I have a friend who has simple neuropathy from taking a toxic medication who just came home with an abnormal EMG. Nobody thinks he has ALS. It's the furthest thing from his mind.

He's just got some sort of nerve damage, and the number of things that can cause that (including the immune system, medications, environmental toxins you may or may not even be aware that you were exposed to, etc) ... are huge.

Try to remind yourself there's absolutely zero logical reason why you should be in the 1% when you lack the necessary symptoms for ALS (weakness). There's a 99% chance (literally) that its just something else, and very well could correct itself over time.

In all my researching and reading the one major "takeaway" i had from it, was that abnormal test results are seen in countless other conditions, and none of them are "deadly" at all.

Abnormal EMG does not equal ALS.

Try not to borrow trouble.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Steph on May 28th, 2014, 9:31 pm

It seems odd your doctor ordered the blood test for CK tomorrow. I remember my neuro specifically ordering mine prior to the EMG because the EMG testing can irritate the muscles and elevate CK levels. If I remember correctly, it can take more than 48 hours for levels to return to normal after the EMG.
Steph

Postby Steph on May 28th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Disregard my last post, I just re-read and realized it took several days to receive the EMG results and your test was well over a week ago.
Steph

Postby Yuliasir on May 28th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Well,
the summary says that you have generally normal nerve conduction study and NONSPECIFIC abnormal discharges in several muscles.
You do not have peripheric neuropathy which means that your innervation is OK (no neurodegeneration) but your muscles seem to have signs of hyperactivity as far as I understand (rapid reqruitment and spontaneous polyphasic discharges) which may be associated with myopathy.
Myopathy is what we all experience to a certain degree - pain in the muscles without good reason, cramps, stiffness etc. The most common neuropathy close to BFS specturm must be non-specific myositis, thyroid-caused myopathy, methabolic myopathy due to low vitamine B and D level, myotonia or neuromyotonia (some of fellows even are diagnosed with that). Some of us may have myopathy due to strenous excersises by the way.

To evaluate POSSIBLE myopathy, its nature and degree report suggested check your CK level (to see if you have for example such type of myopathy as rabdomyolisis - which means just self-destruction of sceletal muscles) and muscle byopsy to see if you have any physical change in amount and quality of muscle bundles.

So generally a picture seems to be pointing to BFS as muscle hyperactivity disorder and not to MND.

but anyway I do not analyse the whole EMG just the summary which seems to me pointing rather to hyperexcitability disease as to anything else.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby DoubleD on May 29th, 2014, 9:55 am

He seems to be going through "testing by the book". same process with me. there is no reason to get a muscle biopsy unless your ck levels are in the thousands. like 5,000.

i had a muscle biopsy and it was a waste of time, money and muscle. be very careful how far you proceed. It looks like you have a very normal EMG

Usally they do a CK BEFORE an emg btw.

myopathy just means muscle trouble/pain. Non specific. If you go long enough they have to diagnose you with something.

DD
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby Nathan75 on May 30th, 2014, 10:26 am

Hi.

Thank you so much guys for the replies. And i hope everyone is doing good.

It's been a tough few days for me to be honest. Many symptoms are ongoing i.e - random muscle twitching (not frequent twitches, only a few an hour) but still worrying about these twitches as they do still seem to be more apparent after i have used the muscle or i am leaning/putting pressure on it etc, still having sleeping problems, some weight loss (albeit only a few lbs), very dry mouth, episodes of urine frequency, dull headaches, occasional limb shaking/tremors, strange/tight feeling in throat, some leg stiffness/pain/cramps, and also my right eye that has been twitching for around 3+ weeks now has become quite blurry over the last 2 days.
I think i have read that visual problems (especially in 1 eye) can be associated with MS? ...But of course i am not going to diagnose myself with that. I have been down many roads of diagnosing myself with so many things over the past few months and it does me no favours what so ever. I think i will just leave that up to all the doctors from now on.
Of course some of the symptoms i am experiencing are no doubt anxiety related.

Anyway, i had my CK blood test yesterday so i guess it is just a waiting game now. I should get the results back next week on Monday 2nd June/Tuesday 3rd June.
I also have made another appointment to see the neurologist (same one i seen on April 15th) on Tuesday 3rd June. I guess he will determine whether i have to have this muscle biopsy or not.

As soon as i hear any news/get results i will report back.

Take care all.

Nathan.
Nathan75

Postby Yuliasir on May 30th, 2014, 10:41 am

nathan
as for the eyes - I remember one fellow lady here who experienced sudden and very strong one eye myopia after BFS onset.

problems associated with MS are not blurry vision (as blur means you lost your focal distance - or you have cataract - or you have inflammatory disease and your eye just produces a lot of musous secretions blurring your sight) but loss of central or vice vrsa peripheric vision - like a person can see everything on the distant part of vew field but can not see anything in the middle of sight, or tunnel vision, and this lasts not for minutes like in migraine but for hours and days...this is caused by compression of swollen optical nerve in its route channel, and moreover, as this is a neuritis, it is reported as being quite painful...

all the rest of symptome you describe prcisely fit anxiety disorder in acute form.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Nathan75 on June 2nd, 2014, 11:42 am

Hi. Thanks for the reply Yuliasir :)

Well, i have some good news....

I have just phoned the doctors and they have told me that the results of my CK blood test that i had done last week are completely NORMAL !!
I can't tell you guys how relieved i am right now. I have an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow, and hopefully he will say there's no need for the muscle biopsy.

I continue to have weird symptoms (too many to mention right now) but for now i will just continue on the long BFS journey like the rest of you :)
Good health to you all.

Nathan.
Nathan75

Postby ShawnW on June 2nd, 2014, 1:54 pm

Great news Nathan! I'm very happy for you. What a relief eh?
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Red Raider on June 2nd, 2014, 11:12 pm

Great news man!!! BFS on brother haha we are all in the same boat.
Red Raider

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Support Group